Over Under VS Semi Dove Guns

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Over Under VS Semi Dove Guns

Post by jsh909 »

DBLGBL wrote: June 4th, 2023, 1:37 pm Familiar name. I think he is in duck hunting circles and maybe a Chessie breeder. Not sure. This little girl is my second dog out of Whiskey creek line. She is only 1.5 years old in that picture. At 6 months she picked up 60 birds on the opener. Pretty proud of how she is turning out.

2Gbl
Wow, great dog! And great dogs in general.
She is beautiful, they hold a special place in my heart.

Yes, you are right. Rick is a waterfowl guide in Louisiana not sure of the breeder part, but I wouldn't be surprised. He is a chessie enthusiast.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

A good friend successfully field trialed a Chessie. He looked more like a Grizzly than a dog. Neva would get into my buddy's duck boat while he parked the truck and trailer. Another local hunter had a big lab that was aggressive to other dogs. Miserable to be around if you had a dog with you. Dog made the mistake of jumping into my buddy's boat and started a rumble. Neva was tearing up the lab and his owner was hollering "he's hurting my dog"! Russ responded: "Tell him to get out of my boat." The most impressive dog I've seen on a dove field was a younger friend's English Pointer. He grew up in a bird dog family and he and his dad trained many an EP for quail and other game. He could do three blinds on duck and dove. To see him on a dove field take whistle and hand signals was something to see. Ben would put the dog on the line, send him, blow the whistle, dog would stop spin around and face Ben. Then he'd get the hand signal, pick up the bird and retrieve and release on command. For ducks, he'd sit on a self climbing tree stand out of the water and retrieve woodies and teal. I know there are some labs and Chessies that can do more blinds, have more strength in duck ponds, do better in the cold, but can they find and hold a covey of quail, back if necessary, and be steady to flush and shot? The EP lived to be 16 and died of old age. Gil
DBLGBL

Post by DBLGBL »

Regardless of breed it take a special dog to work in the constant war zone that is a dove field. My girl is not formally trained but will work to hand signals and whistle. She is what I would call a “meat dog” She is also pure chessie in the sense of my yard my truck my boat and you will get bit if you cross the line. Funny story. Had a gas tech come to the house to check a set of gas logs.. The dog parked herself in the room where he was working and just watched him with what I call the. “ chessie stare”. Made the guy so nervous. He finally asked why is she watching me? I said. She does not trust you in her house. I finally had to put her up as he said “I can’t work under this kind of stress. Hilarious

2gbl
DBLGBL

Post by DBLGBL »

Regardless of breed it take a special dog to work in the constant war zone that is a dove field. My girl is not formally trained but will work to hand signals and whistle. She is what I would call a “meat dog” She is also pure chessie in the sense of my yard my truck my boat and you will get bit if you cross the line. Funny story. Had a gas tech come to the house to check a set of gas logs.. The dog parked herself in the room where he was working and just watched him with what I call the. “ chessie stare”. Made the guy so nervous. He finally asked why is she watching me? I said. She does not trust you in her house. I finally had to put her up as he said “I can’t work under this kind of stress. Hilarious

2gbl
Crittergitter

Post by Crittergitter »

I the same m2s as you. And if i was in your spot id get a 20 gauge montefeltro i feel like. It reminds me of my old 1100 skeet lt20.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

The Chessie has a well-earned reputation of being a one person dog and distrustful of strangers and slow to warm up to anyone new. Then there was Red, a Chessie, who was a small town dog that everyone knew. He was owned by retired physician in a middle Georgia small town of 2500 where my wife grew up. Like clockwork, he'd stroll into town in the morning and greet all in the downtown area. He'd roam the streets by his lonesome and sleep on a sidewalk on the main drag. Big, but without a mean bone in his body. Late afternoon, he'd mosey on home. Remembering the tales of Red, my youngest BIL now has a female Chessie, but will never hunt as his owner isn't a hunter. I have an English friend who in the land of Labradors, prefers Chessies. He's down to one having had to put his old one down this past winter. He will get a pup in a month or two. He wouldn't have any other breed. Gil
Renegade50

Post by Renegade50 »

Muffed up post..
Still getting used to site format and posting methods/ time intervals..
Last edited by Renegade50 on June 18th, 2023, 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Renegade50

Post by Renegade50 »

I'm a fan of SA,s for about the last 9 or 10 yrs.
Have hunted with 12ga SxS,s
12 ga pumps of various makes.

Been on fields where Birds come in so fast in such # s you can't get 3 shells reloaded fast enough without birds getting by you for 20 30 mins at a time.
Too me it is nice to be able to get fast repetitive shots in like that and get a volume of shot up in the air.
All pace based on how the birds are flying for your rate of fire with a semi auto.
I think the quickest shooting SA trigger reset wise I have ever had was a really nice condition Winchester 1400 MK II about 6 yrs ago.
I could feel the pronounced reset well on a 1400.
Something about that recoil spring and Mag tube compartmentalized design that seemed to make it have a fast rate of fire also IMO...
Maybe just speculation...
Have owned 3 1400,s over the years.
For some reason I was drawn to them for awhile.
Pita to break down and clean thoroughly.
Take down pin in the Mag tube and spring assembly.
Bolt plate/ cocking peice and bolt held together in receiver with a screw.
Getting that all out of receiver and firing pin and spring reassembly.
Huge PITA....
Moved on from 1400,s because of that and parts availability if needed.

Have owned numerous 930,s and 935,s
A H&R Excell auto/ Verona clone, sold that gun due to parts availability if needed. But it was a nice SG for what it was.

I like Beretta 390 versions now.
They pretty much run 100% reliable and are very easy to clean.
Pretty much set on my SG needs from here on out.

Except......for that new Beretta A300 Ultima patrol HD SG which is killing me after looking at numerous vid reviews and handling one in person at a LGS for the 1st time 2 weeks ago.
Little under 1050 OTD and Marcia and Grady knew it was killing me bad....
An itch that needs to be scratched.....
SMH.....

Return to “Gun Talk”