Lucky Rainy Day Gobbler

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Lucky Rainy Day Gobbler

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

It's a steady sprinkle this morning and everything is soaked. I parked at around 5:30, later than intended, but not bad for the weather. I expected to hear birds to the west near private fields if I heard anything but a bird gobbled to my owl uphill and behind me to the northeast. It was also closer than expected, around 200 yards.

The rain and fog helped me get within 100 yards and I realized there was a second bird behind the first. Flydown should be around 5:30 but you know the routine in rain and fog. I did a flydown with hat and clucks at 6 about the same time they flew down because there was a few minutes of silence before he gobbled uphill, front left.

I clucked and yelped a few times and within a few minutes spotted a bird moving downhill and to my left. I was concerned that one of them may be a jake, and I've seen enough of those die this year, so wanted to see beard or full fan. They weren't strutting and actually appeared to plan on moseying right on by. They finally got to a large enough opening that I spotted beards on both. I wasted no time killing the one in the lead when he stretched out to look my way.

The other bird jumped on mine immediately and I could have had a double given the tags. Considering how few days that I have left, if it had happened yesterday when I had two tags for the area, I would have likely taken the second when he let me get part way to him before deciding it was time to go.

I think body wise the second bird looked bigger than the one I killed. This one can't be more than 16 lbs and yesterday's was 16.6 lbs.

I've killed very few Merriam's just after flydown so the early , wet, and foggy hunt was cool.
IMG_20230528_061713575.jpg
IMG_20230528_062134832.jpg
IMG_20230528_063023783.jpg
IMG_20230528_062902421.jpg
Last edited by Hobbes_mobile on May 28th, 2023, 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Lucky Rain Gobbler

Post by Hognutz »

Way to go, Shane. Well done!!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

From the parking location where I was owling.
IMG_20230528_053732850_BURST000_COVER.jpg
Following photos taken 15 minutes after I killed the bird

From the set up facing the roost
IMG_20230528_061400881.jpg
From the set up facing left where I killed the bird.
IMG_20230528_061404529.jpg
Chief Razor

Post by Chief Razor »

Very cool, congrats on a fine bird.
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Lucky Rainy Day Gobbler

Post by spider316 »

Nap time ! Congrats on a good one !
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Yellow dots are approximately where I was catching glimpses of birds. The ground cover is deeper than it appears in photos so I was looking through stuff and not seeing the full bird. I spotted the beard at about the last yellow dot and killed him at the red dot.
IMG_20230528_061404529~2.jpg
I've got another tag that I can use about 45 minutes to an hour from camp. I was pretty lucky to fill the region tag and general tag here where we're camped. I think the rain is getting worse this afternoon but I may drive there if it clears. Tomorrow morning is supposed to be really nice but the spot is in the direction of home. I hate to drive an hour then back an hour to hook up and drive back past it again.

I've not hunted the spot but a coworker pointed out where a bird was gobbling in June last year uphill from a project he was on. (One of the benefits of a lot of folks across the state knowing I'm the only certifiable turkey nut they know. :) ) I nonchalantly told him I'd kill one there this season and send him photos. :)

This morning's tom may be my last but I'm taking Boyd on Wednesday, the last day, and the tag is good where I plan to take him. There's a group of Longbeards there that I've hunted three times this year and haven't been able to pull them across the fence away from hens and don't have many options on where I can set up. We could double if they make a mistake.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

IMG_20230528_103904079.jpg
Used an electric fan on the gobblers fan to dry it out. It's not the biggest fan but probably a better looking fan than yesterday.
dirtnap

Post by dirtnap »

Nice work. That's a pretty bird in a fine piece of woods.
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

Way to go Shane! Glad you were persistent in the slop! Congrats!
Don
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

I hate huntin' in soggy conditions, especially how the tom looks after the kill.

But sometimes you gotta' do, what ya' gotta' do :thumbup:

Congrats on another dandy!! :cheers:

You think these last toms lost weight from the breeding season, or just were light in weight to start with??
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Samm4770 »

Great story
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

Man enjoyed being there with you! Congratulations! Love the misty look to the pics. In the rain, it’s how bad do you want it bc turkeys still gotta be turkeys.
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)

Return to “Gobbler Talk”