ebike for hunting

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
dferg0910

ebike for hunting

Post by dferg0910 »

any body use one for hunting. have large properties to hunt and as I have got over 70 yrs old I find it hard to walk very far, have a atv but its too noisie for turkey hunting
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: ebike for hunting

Post by Turkinator »

I’m wondering if they would be allowed on no motor vehicle roads
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I wouldn't see why not since they are quiet and produce no emissions!

Just tell them................KEVIN SAID I COULD!!!
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

In the right plae they are awesome, a friend has that megatron version, dual battery, dual moto,r dual drive! Over 6k for that thing.

Non motorized trails have different rules depending on where you are, 750w or less motor is a common restriction but it seems as of know this is all over the map and nobody seems to be around to inforce it!

As long as you have a place to charge it where you use it they would be awesome! I find myself in places where no electric is available, guess you could charge from your vehicle but not sure on charge times?
joey46

Post by joey46 »

This is an extremely controversial subject on many forums. We'll see how it goes here. Using an ebike on public land trails that were designed for walk in hunters had/is causing many conflicts. Using one on private ground then go for it. I, at 76, know how I would feel if walking a foot trail in the predawn and getting passed by an ebiker racing to a spot. They have changed the entire dynamic of hunting south Florida's Big Cypress NWR. The conflicts in the western National Forest are apparently becoming more frequent and often mentioned by posters.
Before it comes up most all States make accommodations for the truly disabled. Being too lazy to walk in is not a disability.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

IMO, if it has a motor, it shouldn't be allowed on non-motorized roads and trails. At 72, and with 2 total knee replacements, I can't cover the ground which I could 10 years ago, but have still put in several 5-7 mile hunts this year. I would hope that folks on an ebike would show common turkey hunting courtesy when encountering a hunter in front of them and go elsewhere, especially considering their increased mobility. If I ever get passed by an discourteous ebiker who doesn't have the manners to stop and ask my destination before proceeding, they had better hunt within sight of their bike cause it may not be ride worthy if I locate it. "I hate rude behavior in a man and I will not tolerate it." Woodrow Call
WV Ridge Reaper
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by WV Ridge Reaper »

I have one,got it right before spring this year.Let’s start off by saying get one

I have a Rambo Ryder 750,I enjoy it not only for hunting but just going for a random ride.

Is it a game changer ? Meh depends on how you use or who you ask..I like it because I can cover ground and quick,even on a game lands road I can park get the bike and travel the roads open to traffic and still hear,and it is a lot less quieter then a truck coming down a gravel road.

Will it climb hills and how big of a hill? Yes mine will..But be ready to help pedal on those steeper inclines..the pedaling is not bad at all especially with pedal asst..I have 5 levels and usually run mine on 3…It took me about 3 weekends of back and fourth research and reviews before I made my mind up on which one I wanted..for example my bike only has a 3 gear hub..I went this route because I didn’t want the extra junk below the chain to drive a 9 speed or how ever many gear hub..Keep it simple

Charge time,we’ll I can’t speak much on that because I have only ran mine dead dead once again I just got it this spring..As far as power to charge it while not hunting around the house,a simple power inverter over night and your ready to go.

My biggest question which you won’t know til you get one your self is,did I get the right one ?

I spent a little over 2grand on mine and it is a 750..I love it would I do it over and get a 1000 ? Probley not,simply because the price..I personally can’t see that little bit more power being with another 2grand

I’m not to lazy to walk and if you think I am because I have a e-bike..shoot me a message and you can come walk the mountains here with me… I have mine to cover ground quick
The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword
joey46

Post by joey46 »

:? For whatever reason this seems to be a new topic to many. In Florida it is not. To many's dismay e bikes are currently highly restricted on Florida WMAs and public lands. Only class one bikes without throttles are legal as of now. The e bike whiners are hard at work lobbying to get this changed so they can buzz around and race the hikers deep into the woods and swamps on their much more powerful MOTORIZED vehicles. We'll see how this shakes out but my guess is that "money talks" and those of us that actually get off their butts and use their feet will find themselves in frequent competition with the e bikers in a race to selected areas. Myself and several others have decided that if already walking on a trail and get passed by an e bike it will be like they were never there. We will go where we intended and if the motor biker is already in that location we'll hope he brought extra coffee and sandwiches because we all will be very close by each other. Hope he isn't also using an electronic battery operated call. That would be too much. :stir:
joey46

Post by joey46 »

Just noticed that the advertising banner that popped up on the log in page is
from QUIET KAT. Oh brother. What a sell out. Would rather have seen one from PETA. LOL.
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

Turkinator wrote: May 27th, 2023, 10:28 am I’m wondering if they would be allowed on no motor vehicle roads
I know as of now, here in Ohio, they are not allowed on public lands with "No Motorized Vehicles Beyond This Point" restrictions. Wether it will be enforced or not is yet to be seen, but according to the ODNR it means no motor of any kind. It was briefly talked about at the conference in Columbus.
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

Super HOT topic for me ! If you think I'm gonna move off a HIKING trail for you to beat me to a spot you've musta smoked your legal weed on the drive up. Give me crap on the trail and you'll be replacing valve stems on your vehicle in the parking lot, not damaging them, just removing all 4 centers with a stem wrench. I do think it's funny as hell when they are being clocked at 25+ mph on radar with no helmet and it's the old "what it's an E-bike". Still the same head injury in a facility with a Trach and G-tube complete with pressure ulcers and a forgotten family who doesn't come wipe you drool, just saying.
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I've noticed a bunch of old farts on this forum. I'll be 75 Tuesday. I am reasonably fit with all limbs intact and not currently in need of replacement joints/parts. In certain areas, I've hunted off of a mountain bike for more than 40 years and currently enjoy hunting a gated stretch of trail that is over 3.5 miles into where I like to hunt. That's 3.5 miles in and 3.5 miles out for a total of 7 miles. I've walked it before but can move about more easily with greater speed on the bike. It has made the difference in bird-no bird before. Nothing galls me more than to see someone half my age riding around on an e-bike on this trail. I have no problem with someone with infirmities using an e-bike. If someone beats me to the gate where the trail begins, I ask them where they want to go and yield to them and give them plenty of room. My first trip into this gated stretch was with another man who is two years older than I am. I had never seen him before. He was there first and got first choice of spot to listen at dawn. He'd been hunting this area 20 years before me when it was a private club. He told me where I should listen and he was right. A little common courtesy to others goes a long way. Gil
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

joey46 wrote: May 27th, 2023, 4:01 pm This is an extremely controversial subject on many forums. We'll see how it goes here. Using an ebike on public land trails that were designed for walk in hunters had/is causing many conflicts. Using one on private ground then go for it. I, at 76, know how I would feel if walking a foot trail in the predawn and getting passed by an ebiker racing to a spot. They have changed the entire dynamic of hunting south Florida's Big Cypress NWR. The conflicts in the western National Forest are apparently becoming more frequent and often mentioned by posters.
Before it comes up most all States make accommodations for the truly disabled. Being too lazy to walk in is not a disability.
I agree with Joey46 here. 100% against the use on public unless documented reason to do so- lazy is not it. What you use on your property or other private however is totally up to you of course.
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

At this point I would handle it this way. If I see your truck or bike I move on ( even to the point of not hunting if I have no follow up), but if you pull up behind me, follow me or pass me ( on e-bike or otherwise) I will hunt as if you are not there. I will not seek confrontation but nor will I shirk it if you want to push it. I too hate rude behavior in a man!
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Ga. DNR took a blind man's view of e-bikes. Since Ga. Motor Vehicle Licensing laws don't recognize an e-bike under 750 watts to be a "motorized" vehicle for licensing purposes under the law, then a 750 watt e-bike would be allowed wherever foot or pedaled bike travel is allowed. DNR could have just as easily said "No" to their use apparently taking the lead from what was permitted on Federal lands. I remember seeing three wheelers on footrails, firebreaks and in the woods. It didn't take long for them to be banned on all but where cars and trucks were permitted. Gil
Last edited by GLS on May 28th, 2023, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

We hunt Big Cypress Nation Preserve and other WMAs in South Florida. Have had e-bikers pass us on main buggy trails but not on secondary or firebreaks as of yet. But a couple years ago while hunting new ground that just was added to an existing WMA (10,000 acres more) on a Friday afternoon before on the way they’re opening weekend. E-bikes were like hornets running trying to scout spots last second. We had found a promising access area and two e-bikes ( way younger than me at 74) hauling but up that area. We adjusted to another spot through a fence they couldn’t get through.

My view is pretty much what others feel. Non-motorized vehicles should not be allowed. Current restrictions in ATVs, side by sides, buggies, except on authorized trails. Some State WMAs don’t allow them anywhere. So make it consistent.

I’m crazy about busting mud, nor wading water, but I do it for the rewards of being there and sometimes getting the prize! Not some 20 or 30something in a damn hurry.
Don
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

GLS wrote: May 28th, 2023, 10:50 am I've noticed a bunch of old farts on this forum. I'll be 75 Tuesday. IGil
I resemble that remark!! I'll be 74 Wednesday

Happy Birthday 5.jpg
Happy Birthday 5.jpg (14.94 KiB) Viewed 40950 times
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I think you'll find that a lot of guys using them are younger and not older guys trying to keep getting around. I've not had any issues with them here in MT but I see them. I've seen quite a bit of heated discussion on them on Western forums but I'm not sure of the rules. A lot of what I hunt in September may be too steep and rocky.

My brother test drove one at a motorcycle race he was watching. The test track was a trail up through the woods and had a big rocky downhill in it. They almost let him take off without a helmet until he asked for it. He's ridden a lot of motorcycles but he put the front wheel into a rock that rolled or something and it washed the front end out on the steep downhill and he went over the bars driving his head into the rocks. Thank goodness he asked for the helmet. He tore the heck out of their helmet, said the guy behind the table just stared at it when he handed it back and mentioned that they may consider making sure folks wear one. 🤣🤣🤣
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

joey46 wrote: May 28th, 2023, 4:55 am :? For whatever reason this seems to be a new topic to many. In Florida it is not. To many's dismay e bikes are currently highly restricted on Florida WMAs and public lands. Only class one bikes without throttles are legal as of now. The e bike whiners are hard at work lobbying to get this changed so they can buzz around and race the hikers deep into the woods and swamps on their much more powerful MOTORIZED vehicles. We'll see how this shakes out but my guess is that "money talks" and those of us that actually get off their butts and use their feet will find themselves in frequent competition with the e bikers in a race to selected areas. Myself and several others have decided that if already walking on a trail and get passed by an e bike it will be like they were never there. We will go where we intended and if the motor biker is already in that location we'll hope he brought extra coffee and sandwiches because we all will be very close by each other. Hope he isn't also using an electronic battery operated call. That would be too much. :stir:
It appeared to me that no one in FL was actually observing the rule on peddling, power restrictions, etc. Certainly no one appeared to be enforcing it.
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

George, "Junior", happy birthday to you, too! Gil
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

GLS wrote: May 28th, 2023, 5:31 pm George, "Junior", happy birthday to you, too! Gil
Thx. For some reason, I thought you wuz 1 of them thar young whippersnappers.
Imagine my shock when I found out that you're an older pharte then me!!!!

ROTFL.gif
ROTFL.gif (47.53 KiB) Viewed 40885 times
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

joey46

Post by joey46 »

The lack of enforcement in Florida is no surprise. Seeing an LEO is a seldom occurrence on a WMA. The ongoing thread on the floridasportsman.com concerning e bikes is no more than e bikers whining and giving tips on how to beat the system. You can apparently buy stickers on line that show an overpowered e bike is class one not it's actual classification. Probably a lost cause. The fat and lazy will win this one.
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

Probably right Mr Joey. I know a guy who hunts an area where vechicle traffic is a problem. Every limb or branch big enough to cause a problem always seems to majically fall across the route thus necessitating the lazy to stop and get out to move them. This rarely happens on roads but is occurring with more and more frequency at powerlines, fence gaps etc where vechicle traffic is discouraged already. Of course, me as a pedestrian can just step over or around but I sure hate it for those poor lazy a— drivers.
Gooserbat

Post by Gooserbat »

Turkinator wrote: May 27th, 2023, 10:28 am I’m wondering if they would be allowed on no motor vehicle roads
In most circumstances if it's 750 watts or smaller it's designated as a bicycle.
Momma did you hear that gooserbat?
joey46

Post by joey46 »

Gooserbat wrote: May 28th, 2023, 11:23 pm
In most circumstances if it's 750 watts or smaller it's designated as a bicycle.
Even if it really is a motorized vehicle. I hope the day is coming when they will be required to be registered, insured, and the riders licensed. At least, for the moment, on my closest Florida WMA they are only allowed on named or numbered trails. The day I bump into one buzzing by on a fire break or game trail my phone camera will be working overtime. I have FWC on speed dial.
I'm going to repeat a portion of a post from a Florida forum. It is in reply to an inquiry about a long established quota deer (Sambar and whitetail) hunt on St. Vincent Island NWR off the Florida panhandle. This hunt has long been known as not for woosies as the island is only accessible by boat and tent camping or sleeping on a beached boat is the option for this multi day hunt. Old post (found some from 2012) from experienced hunters often mentioned bringing a bicycle. The writer says of his latest experience --

"Ebikes there are ridiculous. It gives some of the out of shape folks a false sense of ability and security that could leave them in a pickle if their bikes go down. Ebikers are the same guys that seemingly buy a pack of pin flags from home depot to mark every trail on the island as "their spot"."

Not a bad thought before spending several thousand dollars on an e bike. What happens when the motor bike has a problem after you have buzzed back in a few miles. Are you going to call AAA or leave it chained to a tree hoping it is still there when you get back with additional help? Are you in good enough shape to walk out for help? I truly hope the days of the actual walk in only hunts are not over. Some have more money than sense. Enough said. For now :roll:

Return to “Gobbler Talk”