What guns are you looking to buy?

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Jstocks

Re: What guns are you looking to buy?

Post by Jstocks »

Would love a Ruger 44 carbine or lever action
kythunter

Post by kythunter »

Probably my next turkey gun will be a pistol grip 20. I have too many turkey guns (410, 20, 28, and 12ga) and have struggled in the past with choosing one dedicated during season. This year I bought a Franchi Affinity 3 12ga 3" 26" barrel. Added a Vortex Venom and hunted with it all season. Sweet gun. The Franchi will probably be my go-to for a few seasons Lord willing, but I'll end up moving to the 20 eventually.
The Showstopper...

Post by The Showstopper... »

I received the sa-20 pistol grip mossbergs, I only put mine together, It was clean and feels great, I am waiting for a few items to arrive in next few days. The plan is to get together sometime this weekend and give my father the gifts early, so we can go shoot them, I don't want to wait to June 18th. As for picking a single gun to use all season, those days are long gone for me, I used a win 1300 for ever(20ish years) and then a bps 12 for over a decade, now I use, 2 sometimes 3 guns maybe in a single day as I usually take 2-3 with me if I stay up at my property and then switch em out for different areas I am hunting. I'll get some pics up later end of weekend coming up.
Am I the only one tired of the online whine-a-billy's?.........OGF.... :wave:

I am a proud member of the " Fringe Minority".......... :canada:

Pucker up Turdeau................and kiss my Lanark County Redneck Ass
The Showstopper...

I thought I was done with the .410 collection but I located two that I wanted and purchased them, I purchased the Rossi tuffy turkey and the Mossberg sa .410 bottomland today. I will not be getting my Henry any time soon so I thought I may as well scratch the itch. I am done until next winter with shotguns. I also ordered a handful of boxes of ammo for my .410's.

gaswamp

Post by gaswamp »

The Showstopper... wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 7:38 pm I am a turkey gun addict, I love them all, I am interested in buying another one this summer sometime if I can locate something that I don't have already or something new I can actually find up here, I am waiting on a Henry single shot turkey gun but I want something else as well. I'll be going with a 20 or 12 gauge, I already have a handful of .410's and they are not legal yet for turkey's and I'd buy a 28 gauge but they are not legal yet so I'll wait on a 28 ga.

What are you guys looking at?
you been looking for the Henry 12 in Mossy oak turkey single shot?
Riverrat

Post by Riverrat »

SA-28 and never look back. With correct load for gun and choke of your desire. Put what ever you choose on optics and base but the most important is a mcarbo trigger spring and if thats not enough go to your local gunsmith for crisp trigger.
Wasn't born, I was hatched!!!!!!!!!!!! and raised in Tennessee.
The Showstopper...

Im not looking for any guns, I have one( Henry) on order from a shop, and I'll eventually buy a 28 gauge but I'll always still hunt with 10,12,20,.410 etc. I also want a 16 gauge eventually. It is time to start to roll my own shells and I ordered some tss today to start and learn with the .410 and eventually work my way to my 20's,12 and 10's and be ready for next spring.

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

spider316 wrote: June 4th, 2023, 5:57 pm Scored on a Remington 1187 20 ga with a 21" barrel and synthetic stocks, just happened to have a full length stock here at the house. Already picked up a. 562 and a .555 IC to do some real setting up. My Son ran it with the .562 and some FoxTrot 1.5oz #8s during the season and it was unbelievable. Right place and time for this purchase. Should I dip the whole gun in Greenleaf bottomland or do a Ceracoat/Bottomland combo ?
Cerakote and camo!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

spider316 wrote: June 4th, 2023, 5:57 pm Scored on a Remington 1187 20 ga with a 21" barrel and synthetic stocks, just happened to have a full length stock here at the house. Already picked up a. 562 and a .555 IC to do some real setting up. My Son ran it with the .562 and some FoxTrot 1.5oz #8s during the season and it was unbelievable. Right place and time for this purchase. Should I dip the whole gun in Greenleaf bottomland or do a Ceracoat/Bottomland combo ?
Ceracoated 870 20
83D32D81-3659-489A-BFEC-5F0290D40193.jpeg
The Showstopper...

Turkinator wrote: June 11th, 2023, 9:11 am
Ceracoated 870 2083D32D81-3659-489A-BFEC-5F0290D40193.jpeg
That gun looks excellent.

The Showstopper...

I have my components for a 2 3/4" 20 gauge shell and a .410 shell on the way, minus the .410 hulls but I should have them in a few weeks, and hopefully some 3" 20 gauge hulls as well, pickings were slim. I plan on starting with this and getting familiar with rolling my own and eventually just shoot my own shells, I will eventually test some 10 gauge shells later this year.

The EGW .670 universal base will not work on my Mossberg Sa-20, I tried it, I will be ordering a sumtoy mount for it here in the next few days. I plan on installing the Mccarbo springs on both of them here later this week.

The Showstopper...

I need to purchase all the tools now to load my own, a new scale, crimpers, etc here in next few weeks. It just became a hassle to locate the correct ammo, then have to pay shipping charges from 4 or 5 different shops because none of them carry more than one type of shell, or basically just lack of product, I figure, I will just bulk up on compnents and not have to worry for a few years on buying more other than tss.

Sitsintrees

Post by Sitsintrees »

Savage M220 turkey is in my sights... :)
The Showstopper...

The Winchester 1300 arrived yesterday and It looks like It has never been out of safe, I ended up using a set of truglo metal fiber optic turkey sights I had here,I may shoot it in next few weekends and check out some chokes, the .410 Rossi tuffy turkey arrived today and after work I wrapped it in green leaf along with a truglo gobblestopper I bought, I am waiting for some hulls and then going to start loading some shells for the .410's and 20's. I purchased 2 of the quake claw slimline and used one with this gun.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_20230615_163837178.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_20230615_163907152.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_20230615_163844186 (1).jpg

The Showstopper...

I took my new pup and her mom for a run and some training up at my camp earlier and I also took the Winchester 1300 with me and a few chokes and 4 different types of shells, I ended up sighting the gun in with Longbeard 6's with the truglo sights, and then I mounted the scope and sighted it in, I ended up patterning the tightwad .660, Undertaker non ported .675, I had others but I basically decided that either of these will be more than adequate, so no reason to fire more shells and chase numbers. I also shot a Hevi shot #6 and a Federal Heavyweight 6 from the tightwad at 60 yards, maybe next time I will shoot them from a more open choke but they didn't shoot well at that yardage from that choke. I bumped the scope up 2 clicks after I was done shooting for the day. But I'll just shoot Long beard 6's from these chokes and this gun, It probably won't be a workhorse, more like a safe queen but I do like the gun and setup.

I never count pellets and I just used a microwave cover to do the circle around when I got home, the best part of the morning was realizing the Winchester 1300 has a really nice recoil pad installed on gun, this reminds me of my first few years hunting with my father as a kid as he hunted with his win 1300 in Realtree for turkey's for 20 years.
Attachments
IMG_20230616_134515560.jpg

turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

I just ordered a Tristar Viper G2 28 gauge turkey version with the pistol grip stock, first thing I will do it take the pistol grip off and replace it with a regular stock!!!!
Last edited by turkeyinstrut on June 16th, 2023, 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roost 1

Post by Roost 1 »

turkeyinstrut wrote: June 16th, 2023, 3:30 pm I just ordered a Tristar Viper G2 28 gauge turkey version with the pistol grip stock, fits thing I will do it take the pistol grip off and replace it with a regular stock!!!!
I might know a guy that will take that pistol grip off your hands. Might even trade you his regular stick.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

Roost 1 wrote: June 16th, 2023, 7:19 pm
turkeyinstrut wrote: June 16th, 2023, 3:30 pm I just ordered a Tristar Viper G2 28 gauge turkey version with the pistol grip stock, fits thing I will do it take the pistol grip off and replace it with a regular stock!!!!
I might know a guy that will take that pistol grip off your hands. Might even trade you his regular stick.
Already ordered a matching camo stock from Tristar, may be interested in selling the pistol grip though.
The Showstopper...

Im going to a local gun show this morning in my small redneck town, I am on the lookout for shotshell reloading stuff, turkey shells and slings, and maybe a 28 gauge but I doubt I'll have any luck so I think I am going to order the Mossberg sa-28 gauge bantam in black matte later today as I found one, the only one I could.

The Showstopper...

I knew this gun show would be a waste of 8 dollars to get in and an hour but I went anyway, and sure enough, overpriced garbage beat up firearms, and ammo twice the cost of buying from a shop. I seen nothing but junk, I walked out with two boxes of 28 gauge target loads for cheaper than I could get local to put through new gun that I was ordering when I got home, the best part was enjoying breakfast afterwards at the local golf course with my father.

These shows have degraded into junk sales the last decade around my area, this one, the arena which is just a small one was not even half full of vendors, one shop was there, the rest was full of private guys paying dirt cheap prices and re selling beaters for 3 times the price of what they are worth. I won't go back to this one, I haven't been to this one in 6-7 years. I have more shotguns here than I seen there, and more ammo here.

The Showstopper...

I bought the Mossberg sa -28 24" youth, comes with 5 chokes and a 12.5" lop, I also sourced a carlson .520 turkey choke local that I'll pick up this week and It looks like I can get ammo for upland and target easily, next up is some components to load my own tss shells. I was going to wait for the pistol grip but I'll just use this one and buy the other one when I see it locally. I have read that this one has had some feeding issues,I am going to try and put a few hundred rounds through it the first few weeks I have it and I will be hunting with it this fall for grouse.

JonnyRedBeaRd

Post by JonnyRedBeaRd »

Benelli Ethos Cordoba 28gauge will probably be my next for the collection.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

The Showstopper... wrote: June 17th, 2023, 2:23 pm I bought the Mossberg sa -28 24" youth, comes with 5 chokes and a 12.5" lop, I also sourced a carlson .520 turkey choke local that I'll pick up this week and It looks like I can get ammo for upland and target easily, next up is some components to load my own tss shells. I was going to wait for the pistol grip but I'll just use this one and buy the other one when I see it locally. I have read that this one has had some feeding issues,I am going to try and put a few hundred rounds through it the first few weeks I have it and I will be hunting with it this fall for grouse.
Depends on shot size, but the Indiancreek chokes in 520 or 525 is hard to beat for the SA28’s
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
The Showstopper...

I'd shoot 9's for tss shells and I have heard that the IC chokes work well too, I cant locate the 28 gauge tps wads, I sourced all the other components last night and I am waiting to hear back from two places that may have them yet. I am just starting for loading my own shells and I already know to bulk up when you find the components, I actually believe It is the Libtards running the USA and Canada that are slowing down production on anything to do with guns, ammo, reloading items etc......F them incompetant useless sacks of chit.

Renegade50

Post by Renegade50 »

Gun shows are the same in the U.S.
I'm drawn to them out of a morbid sense of curiosity and the sheer entertainment value of the humanity of them...
Once in a great while I will find something I want or need.
Wants are easy to pass up.
Needs not so much.

My quest has been a all weather North Haven Marlin xs 7 .308 accutrigger.
Not a Mayfield KY Remlin..

Have passed on 4 or 5 over the past 7 or 8 yrs due to condition issues.
All sellers severely overrate condition at gunshows and want LNIB top dollar prices for 50 or 70% condition firearms.

Some of the things people do to firearms is simply mind boggling in not a good way at all.
Sellers become very agitated at times when you check a gun out.

They can't even run a patch or a boresnake thru a gun.
How lazy can you be.
But they also know the average schmuck dose not know much about guns at a gunshow too.

Buyer be ware for the most part at gunshows...

Return to “Gun Talk”