Big Sky Country

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Big Sky Country

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Hunted a day and a half Monday and Tuesday. The damn things gave me fits and appeared to all be following hens. I found one that wasn't but he was crazy as hell and I'm assuming has been scared somehow by a hunter this year. I added to that and moved at the wrong time when I finally got him in range and he turned inside out getting the heck out of Dodge, not a normal Merriam's reaction time, and I missed my tiny window of opportunity. That hurt considering my own limited opportunities this year. My buddy isn't picky and not having killed a bird the last couple years, killed a Jake.

I let myself get stretched pretty thin hunting with folks this season. It worked out fine the last couple years but not as well this year. I'm hunting with Isaac this weekend and we have a kid going with us so pretty unlikely that I'll be shooting. I'm hunting the following and last weekend alone. Temps have been really warm, 80, and not helping the mid-day hunting.
IMG_20230514_202932706_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230515_072835777_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230515_072829634_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230515_065246634_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230516_054331777_HDR.jpg
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Big Sky Country

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

IMG_20230515_204056068_HDR.jpg
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Nice. I wouldn’t want to leave.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

guesswho wrote: May 18th, 2023, 3:43 pm Nice. I wouldn’t want to leave.
I definitely struggle with being productive at work while season is in and would be out there every day if I could swing it.
Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Samm4770 »

Love the white tips
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

Thank you !!!
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Beautiful country and those birds are awesome looking. Hope you've enjoyed your time out west!
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Chief Razor

Post by Chief Razor »

Love seeing your pictures. Im seriously considering making the journey out there next spring!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Them some pretty merriams
80 degrees sucks
Bout have to hunt them in the shady spots
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

Know it drives you crazy when things don’t line up. It will happen. At least your in beautiful Turkey woods man!
Don
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Swampstalk wrote: May 19th, 2023, 7:02 am Know it drives you crazy when things don’t line up. It will happen. At least your in beautiful Turkey woods man!
Yep, giving the same birds another chance to die this weekend.

Things not lining up are just part of it. I just don't normally give up, especially mid morning, but my buddy isn't as crazy as I am. If they aren't easy, he's not killing them. :)

I'll be with Isaac this weekend. We'll see if that makes a difference. It's going to be 80s the next two days and from my experience, that'll start to shut everything down.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Thanks for sharing all again and when it's spring in your country, who really cares about scoring 100% of the time on a tom, with all your country has to offer for beauty :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Shawnee Cowboy

Post by Shawnee Cowboy »

Nice pics Hobbes. We just left there and drove the 19 hours straight through to get back to Illinois. My brother and me got there Sunday morning and stayed until Wednesday afternoon. We managed to get his monday morning in a classic off the roost hunt everyone dreams about but after that hunt they were scarce as hens teeth. I fooled with one gobbler 2 mornings in a row. He was the only game in town. Gobbled good on the roost but would fly down and get the heck out of Dodge after that. Answering but flat leaving town. He would shut down after about 30 minutes and not be heard from again. Maybe cuz he was out of hearing by then. I left him for seed. Lol
joey46

Post by joey46 »

Great pictures as usual. Hunting in 80 degrees where I'm at requires a light jacket. LOL.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Shawnee Cowboy wrote: May 19th, 2023, 9:35 pm Nice pics Hobbes. We just left there and drove the 19 hours straight through to get back to Illinois. My brother and me got there Sunday morning and stayed until Wednesday afternoon. We managed to get his monday morning in a classic off the roost hunt everyone dreams about but after that hunt they were scarce as hens teeth. I fooled with one gobbler 2 mornings in a row. He was the only game in town. Gobbled good on the roost but would fly down and get the heck out of Dodge after that. Answering but flat leaving town. He would shut down after about 30 minutes and not be heard from again. Maybe cuz he was out of hearing by then. I left him for seed. Lol
Been dealing with that same reaction for the last few weeks. It seems like more hens should be leaving them but everything I find has hens and they are apparently jealous hens and love struck toms.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

joey46 wrote: May 21st, 2023, 5:58 am Great pictures as usual. Hunting in 80 degrees where I'm at requires a light jacket. LOL.
80s is blazing hot for turkey season here. Found a rattlesnake this morning that probably likes it. See photos in my next thread.
Last edited by Hobbes_mobile on May 22nd, 2023, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
misfire

Post by misfire »

Glad you left a few. I will be out there next May.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”