Help me pick a new turkey gun

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
Zipsnlbs

Help me pick a new turkey gun

Post by Zipsnlbs »

Hey all thanks for taking the time to read . I just joined and have been reading up what I can . Just getting back into turkey hunting . I’ve shot two birds in the past about 15 years ago . Since then been an avid deer and coyote /fox /bobcat hunter . Stumbled upon my old calls I had bought . Been practicing up and I think for my birthday in 3 days imma buy my self a new turkey gun and work my way back into it . I’ve lucked out and the farm I hunt is littered with turkeys. I’ve got a couple 12 gauges which I plan to take out this season but ideally I’d like to get into a nice 410 or 20 . My thoughts are to get something with less recoil so once I get it in and patterened good my daughter will also be able to use it . She’s gonna be ten in august so in a couple
Years she’ll be able to hunt too .
Looking for thoughts 410 vs 20 / choke you recommend for Each I’d be running tss as I hear it’s the new hype
Thanks for your time to who ever reads this
Tom
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Help me pick a new turkey gun

Post by pedro »

Beretta or benelli compact 20
570-585 choke exit diameter
If loading tss you can have real light load or heavy, lots of versatility.
Zipsnlbs

Post by Zipsnlbs »

Hey Pedro thanks for the reply . Both are nice guns . I was leaning more towards a single shot tho . Any experience with the Stevens 301 ?
XDeadXEyeX

Post by XDeadXEyeX »

I would base it off your budget first..
I'm considering a new Turkey gun next year. And I think its going to be the SA-28. The 28gauge will produce 20gauge numbers with less recoil. Its a win win. I have several 20s and 410s, but only (1) 28ga.. Might be something to consider.
I'm also a budget gun collector and this will be one of the nicest guns I'll own..
Zipsnlbs

Post by Zipsnlbs »

Hey dead eye . Thanks for commenting. Turkeys arnt my top passion (yet) atleast lol I love deer hunting I love coyote hunting . For a budget I didn’t include that much because it’s not a HUGe factor but still relevant . I was looking at that little 20 gauge the 301 Stevens’s because the price was cheap . Could toss a vortex venom on it and still be under 500 . That’d leave me room to buy a variety of chokes and diffrent loads to figure out what works the best . It looks like I mighta talked my self into that LOL , any recommendations on a few brand and size chokes I should try to help narrow the playing field . Also TSS loads … I don’t reload I have a friend that does but I think for starters I’d be using factory ammo I saw Pendleton (think that’s the name ) had some good reviews . Any recommendations on good brands to buy would be appreciated Currently I am shooting Winchester XX 3.5 out of my stooges 3500 pump they work but they def let you know you are shooting turkey loads lol
Zipsnlbs

Post by Zipsnlbs »

Stooger *
MFL205

Post by MFL205 »

Honestly, the 301 is not a bad gun and they are touted as being design in conjunction with the Federal TSS.
If I were you and you were just getting back into it, I would be hesitant to drop $1,000 or more.....until I get the bug.

So, my recommendation:

Gun - Stevens 301 - 20 gauge
Sight - Honestly, I just watched my daughter drop a bird at 30 yds with a Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 - $79.00...so an even cheaper option than a venom that will 100% work
Ammo - Federal TSS (#9's if they are legal in your area, if not #7's)
Choke - Start with the Factory Choke

That whole rig will be less than $350 and you can easily kill birds out to 50 yds.

Then...upgrade as you see fit going forward.

Just my 2 cents.....
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

Stevens 320 from Buds Gun Shop = value IMO

Sureshot styl stock, drilled/tapped, fiber optic sights, solid factory choke for turkey for less than $250.

Return to “Small Bore”