870 20 ga

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: 870 20 ga

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Good luck with the BPS. I don't recall ever hearing anything bad about a BPS.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Hobbes_mobile wrote: April 9th, 2023, 10:17 am Good luck with the BPS. I don't recall ever hearing anything bad about a BPS.
I guess you've never had that hot brass land in your crotch
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: April 9th, 2023, 11:32 am
Hobbes_mobile wrote: April 9th, 2023, 10:17 am Good luck with the BPS. I don't recall ever hearing anything bad about a BPS.
No. :lol: I'm not familiar with that. I've had hot brass from an AR hit me in the neck and burn the heck out of me.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Hobbes_mobile wrote: April 9th, 2023, 11:56 am
ICDEDTURKES wrote: April 9th, 2023, 11:32 am
No. :lol: I'm not familiar with that. I've had hot brass from an AR hit me in the neck and burn the heck out of me.
Just kidding
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

My only complaint with the BPS is because of the bottom ejection system, you cannot open the action to make sure you have one in the chamber like you can with a side ejection gun.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
The Showstopper...

Post by The Showstopper... »

Im a Southpaw,so I love the bps. I personally have never had that issue but I would just turn gun over and check. I am chomping to get the 20.5" bps, I can't remember ever seeing this model but I am 43, and when I was a kid I hunted with a winchester 1300 black shadow for 20 years until I bought my bps nwtf 12 years ago, and then when I started collecting guns about 7 years ago, I've just become an addict. I want them all.
Am I the only one tired of the online whine-a-billy's?.........OGF.... :wave:

I am a proud member of the " Fringe Minority".......... :canada:

Pucker up Turdeau................and kiss my Lanark County Redneck Ass
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I smell what yer steppin in!
It's not a passion.
It's an obsession!
The Showstopper...

Same as archery(bow hunting).....It is a way of life!!

jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

Here is mine 20ga youth. I modified a 12 ga Mossberg stock that has a 12 inch LOP to fit it. Can't remember brand, but it has a nice rubberized finish for grip. Was cheap off of Amazon. I used lead 5s and a .560 kicks choke for years but somehow lost it. So when I started loading TSS I went with the .570 tightwad choke as a cheap replacement, worked great with TSS but was a little "loose" with lead. Bought the jebs .565 off of here as a happy medium. It patterns lead and TSS perfectly for hunting. I like a bit more open choke since I don't use a dot or scope. Looking to go to a .570 kicks now since I mainly shoot TSS. The thicker wads I typically use seem to really pair nicely with kicks chokes.

Edit: stock is a Hogue
IMG_20230409_130119096.jpg
IMG_20230409_124047579.jpg
IMG_20230409_123958735.jpg
The Showstopper...

Nice setup,is that hand painted?....the one thing that I have always liked about the Remingtons is there different stocks available to customize them, the bps kind of lacks that for sure, almost like Browning is snobbish and will not cater to a different stock for turkey hunting, I know Winchester has them,as I have some of them but, they are not a Browning. Mossberg and Remington have so many options, I would have said 5 years ago, no f'n way would I own 1/2 dozen Mossberg turkey guns and more Remingtons but addiction has no bounds and sees no names as it grows.

jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

The Showstopper... wrote: April 9th, 2023, 3:14 pm Nice setup,is that hand painted?....the one thing that I have always liked about the Remingtons is there different stocks available to customize them, the bps kind of lacks that for sure, almost like Browning is snobbish and will not cater to a different stock for turkey hunting, I know Winchester has them,as I have some of them but, they are not a Browning. Mossberg and Remington have so many options, I would have said 5 years ago, no f'n way would I own 1/2 dozen Mossberg turkey guns and more Remingtons but addiction has no bounds and sees no names as it grows.
Yes it's hand painted.

I am a Browning guy as well. I have a few in every gauge in different platforms, but the 870 is a good gun and basically endlessly customizable
Glades

Post by Glades »

What is the weight on a youth 870 20 ga 21"bbl? I handled my buddy's on a hunt a month ago and it felt CHUNKY compared to my Benelli. For sure 6+ lbs. Anybody got a scale weight?
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Glades wrote: April 10th, 2023, 7:34 am What is the weight on a youth 870 20 ga 21"bbl? I handled my buddy's on a hunt a month ago and it felt CHUNKY compared to my Benelli. For sure 6+ lbs. Anybody got a scale weight?
I've not weighed any of my guns. I've packed a 12 forever and the 20 weighs less and they all weigh less than the rifle with bipod that I pack all over the mountains. The rifle is the only one I've ever thought l need to do something different or thought much about what it weighs.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Gooserbat wrote: April 8th, 2023, 6:56 am That's a thing of beauty
it sure is!

Hobbes
I have killed as many turkeys with less of a pattern as I have with more
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
The Showstopper...

The Showstopper... wrote: April 9th, 2023, 9:33 am
Hobbes_mobile wrote: April 9th, 2023, 9:19 am
The Showstopper... wrote: April 9th, 2023, 7:30 am That looks like the 18.5" youth?...my buddy's father has one of them, he bought it for his wife to use turkey hunting and he uses it a few times a year. I have looked but haven't found a used one in excellent shape, I have wanted one for a decade. They are hard to find up here, I missed out on a 21" 870 20 youth a few weeks back,500.00 new in box, thats a great price for those guns up here in Ontario. Nice guns!
The barrel on this is a measured 18 1/8" without extended tube and was called a Junior when I bought it, at least that's how it was listed where I bought it. The 21" was called a Youth. The Junior also has a 1" shorter LOP. Here is the Junior sitting on top of the Youth stock.
IMG_20230409_071350026.jpg
Yes, that is what it was called,and it does have a shorter Lop. My buddy just bought his oldest boy a mossberg bantam 510? I was messing with it a few weeks ago, I may buy one and put a pistol grip from phoenix on it,It has an 18.5" and it is even smaller than my 2 mossberg 500 bantams in 20 gauge. I'd be happy with either, I am pretty bored with anything new turkey gun related at the moment so I am now, trying to find older models and conform them to what I like, I have a lead on a 12 ga Browning bps with a 20.5" barrel and the fiber optics,Its an early 90's turkey gun, I am hoping to hear back this week on it, It's black but I would eventually have it dipped. I like all turkey guns but I am a Browning 1st man....but they are all awesome.
I lost out on the bps with the 20.5" barrel but I found a Winchester sx2 12 gauge,3.5", 24" barrel from 2001 in mint shape,before dura touch, It's the nwtf turkey gun, I am buying it, I don't need it. I want it.

ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

The Showstopper... wrote: April 10th, 2023, 8:44 pm
The Showstopper... wrote: April 9th, 2023, 9:33 am
Hobbes_mobile wrote: April 9th, 2023, 9:19 am

The barrel on this is a measured 18 1/8" without extended tube and was called a Junior when I bought it, at least that's how it was listed where I bought it. The 21" was called a Youth. The Junior also has a 1" shorter LOP. Here is the Junior sitting on top of the Youth stock.
IMG_20230409_071350026.jpg
Yes, that is what it was called,and it does have a shorter Lop. My buddy just bought his oldest boy a mossberg bantam 510? I was messing with it a few weeks ago, I may buy one and put a pistol grip from phoenix on it,It has an 18.5" and it is even smaller than my 2 mossberg 500 bantams in 20 gauge. I'd be happy with either, I am pretty bored with anything new turkey gun related at the moment so I am now, trying to find older models and conform them to what I like, I have a lead on a 12 ga Browning bps with a 20.5" barrel and the fiber optics,Its an early 90's turkey gun, I am hoping to hear back this week on it, It's black but I would eventually have it dipped. I like all turkey guns but I am a Browning 1st man....but they are all awesome.
I lost out on the bps with the 20.5" barrel but I found a Winchester sx2 12 gauge,3.5", 24" barrel from 2001 in mint shape,before dura touch, It's the nwtf turkey gun, I am buying it, I don't need it. I want it.
I had that exact gun bought a 28" barrel for fowl.... Truck got broke into in St Louis and it was stole.... I still have the 24" not sure why.... Gun shot everything available in the early 00s...

It might still have the kicks 665 in it :?: :?:
The Showstopper...

ICDEDTURKES wrote: April 10th, 2023, 11:53 pm
The Showstopper... wrote: April 10th, 2023, 8:44 pm
The Showstopper... wrote: April 9th, 2023, 9:33 am Yes, that is what it was called,and it does have a shorter Lop. My buddy just bought his oldest boy a mossberg bantam 510? I was messing with it a few weeks ago, I may buy one and put a pistol grip from phoenix on it,It has an 18.5" and it is even smaller than my 2 mossberg 500 bantams in 20 gauge. I'd be happy with either, I am pretty bored with anything new turkey gun related at the moment so I am now, trying to find older models and conform them to what I like, I have a lead on a 12 ga Browning bps with a 20.5" barrel and the fiber optics,Its an early 90's turkey gun, I am hoping to hear back this week on it, It's black but I would eventually have it dipped. I like all turkey guns but I am a Browning 1st man....but they are all awesome.
I had that exact gun bought a 28" barrel for fowl.... Truck got broke into in St Louis and it was stole.... I still have the 24" not sure why.... Gun shot everything available in the early 00s...

It might still have the kicks 665 in it :?: :?:
I bought it, Ill have it in about 10-12 days, I wanted both but somebody beat me to the Browning, I have the Henry 12 gauge single shot turkey gun on order,that may be a 6 week, or 6 month wait so I am done for the spring.

The Showstopper...

Well, been on birds every day I have been out,our season opened last tuesday,I took opening day off and then hunted on weekend, I just didn't have a decent shot at a few toms, I got rained out for work this morning,so I thought I may as well go get soaked and turkey hunt, I went to a spot close as I was running late, I got in to a spot where I have shot quite a few birds the last 20 years, I just happend to see what I thought was a longbeard in tree, so I sat down under a cedar row about 20 yards to his left in a complete monsoon, after 8-10 minutes he gobbled for the first time at 511am, and then for the next 47 minutes he never shut up.

He flew down, and I was expecting him to fly down around 40-50 yards, boy was I wrong, he almost dropped straight down on an angle, I shot him at 13 yards,maybe 12, as my range finder was acting up after I checked distance.

I'll take a rainy day longbeard anyday, 2nd hunt ever with the 1187, and first kill Federal tss #7's through the .575 Carlson's. I had a vortex on it but decided last Friday to go with a set of williams ghost fiber optics,so I patterned it Friday, hunted with it yesterday morning and then this morning.
Last edited by The Showstopper... on May 1st, 2023, 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Showstopper...

here are a few pics,not sure why some won't work.......21 lbs 5 oz, 10.5" beard, 1" spurs.
Attachments
IMG_20230501_064458819.jpg
IMG_20230501_064504755 (1).jpg
IMG_20230501_063405150.jpg
IMG_20230501_072408641 (1).jpg
Last edited by The Showstopper... on May 1st, 2023, 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Congratulations! Nice big bird! Well done!!
His head has more holes in it than my lucky underwear!
Chief Razor

Post by Chief Razor »

Congrats. Way to go!
The Showstopper...

IMG_20230501_114128709.jpg

I may have hurt my back this morning, I still am unsure if it was the weight of the shotgun, or the tom.....smirk.... Anyway, It was a great morning to get soaked and hear them gobble, and even better when you get to carry him over your shoulder for his last ride, looks like tommorow evening it's pulled wild turkey legs with rice and vegetables, I have them in slow cooker with coca cola,brown sugar,mustard,ketchup,lime juice,vinegar and some honey garlic marinade along with chicken broth,garlic salt. Let cook on low 18 hours,pull apart and let sit another 8ish hours then serve with rice and vegetables for dinner. Thanks! Awesome memory this morning.

patternfreak

Post by patternfreak »

Does anyone know if the recoil pad for an 870 20ga will fit an 870 28ga? Getting really tired of the hard plastic one that is facory
Shotgun_oly

Post by Shotgun_oly »

20230430_212346.jpg
I bought one about 12 years ago for the wife, but later set it up with synthetic stock & supercell recoil pad for boys when they were younger. Now I'm using it & loving it 😆
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

The gun has killed 5 birds this season with the handloaded #9s so far, two at 25, one at 30, one at 35, and one at 49. The 49 yarder was coming closer if he'd have waited, but he was excited and misjudged how far he was. I was uphill 20 yards and couldn't see the bird. I could just hear the drumming. :) None of my IL or KY buddies or my son have complained about it's performance.

I killed my bird with the trusty 870 12 with 2 3/4", 1 5/8 oz of 8.5s at 25 yards.

I hunted with one of my sons this morning but it was a half*** effort. I'm hunting with a buddy in the morning. I'm burning through comp time like crazy.

I'll likely hunt with the 20 once on my own. I may have that luxury on Saturday but I may invite one of the guys from church to hunt. They are new to it and I'd like to see them kill a bird if we can find one. I'll make them shoot the 20 because I have no idea what their guns will do. They probably don't either.

Return to “Small Bore”