.410 cleaning and polishing

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Bossqtip

.410 cleaning and polishing

Post by Bossqtip »

I’m seeing some guys clean their .410’s after every shot when sighting them in. Is there any reason for that. Are you not able to shoot 10 plus times without cleaning. Or does it effect patterns. Also seeing some information on polishing or honing. I don’t know if that’s necessary or if it will be. Just got my 301 .410 set up. I just want to make sure I get it right. Im going to try out this factory choke till my pattern master gets here. Thanks in advance.
Attachments
08B2D3FF-5BC8-49D8-9A8F-A09E992E269F.jpeg
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: .410 cleaning and polishing

Post by GLS »

Some like it clean, some like it dirty. It doesn't make that much difference in my guns. Gil
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

My 301 consistently produces better patterns clean. But even after several shots of not cleaning, I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot in a hunting situation.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

Get yourself a bore snake for swabbing the barrel between shots, does a good job and is a lot quicker.
batsonbe

Post by batsonbe »

Bore snake 3x between shots
Bossqtip

Post by Bossqtip »

turkeyinstrut wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 2:52 pm Get yourself a bore snake for swabbing the barrel between shots, does a good job and is a lot quicker.
Bought a bore snake while I was out today. Here is a 30 yard pattern of Verdict ammo with a Burris fast fire 3. Super impressed with the stock choke. Cleaned the barrel every round or every other round.
Attachments
CEE3321F-F902-4967-9011-87A620D32115.jpeg
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

He ain’t surviving that.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Bossqtip

Post by Bossqtip »

guesswho wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 6:19 pm He ain’t surviving that.
No sir, he ain’t
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

Polishing can improve patterns, clean vs dirty barrel seems to be dfifferent from gun to gun. I don't have a clue if mine shoots better dirty or clean, I patterned it clean so it is repeatable.

Not sure if guys test to see if it shoots better after 1,2,3 shots dirty or not? Not interested in playing that game!

Keep in mind a polished barrel takes longer to get dirty and cleans up easier! My turkey guns have chrome lined barrels, a little polish on a mop chucked up in my cordless once a year keeps that thing shiny and easy to clean!
Bossqtip

Post by Bossqtip »

Dtrkyman wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 7:24 pm Polishing can improve patterns, clean vs dirty barrel seems to be dfifferent from gun to gun. I don't have a clue if mine shoots better dirty or clean, I patterned it clean so it is repeatable.

Not sure if guys test to see if it shoots better after 1,2,3 shots dirty or not? Not interested in playing that game!

Keep in mind a polished barrel takes longer to get dirty and cleans up easier! My turkey guns have chrome lined barrels, a little polish on a mop chucked up in my cordless once a year keeps that thing shiny and easy to clean!
So once a year works good for you then? It seems to have a lot of visible crud in the barrel after every shot. I’ll have to look into polishing it. I also don’t want to pattern TSS for very long to see the difference. It seems to be shooting very well clean so I may just continue to shoot it like that.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

I think with the right choke (possibly Indian Creek) you could prolly get patterns like that at 40 yards, but that ain’t too hatefull.
Kyleg160

Post by Kyleg160 »

throw an indian creek in it and get up with Brice @foxtrotammo and get u some legends and that pattern will blow ur mind!!! @hoobilly
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

Deep clean once a year, bore snake at least after shooting a bird, typically just the dry bore snake does the trick. I keep a bore snake in my turkey hunting gear bag that goes with me all spring.

If I hunt in some rain or think the barrel is dirty I may swab it out with some Butch's bore shine, but not very often.
Bossqtip

Post by Bossqtip »

Kyleg160 wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 9:47 pm throw an indian creek in it and get up with Brice @foxtrotammo and get u some legends and that pattern will blow ur mind!!! @hoobilly
Do you have any pictures by any chance. I patterned it at 40 but wasn’t super impressed. Dead turkey, but had too many voids.
Attachments
1750234E-2346-4C47-9CDC-510FE57808FA.jpeg
Bossqtip

Post by Bossqtip »

Dtrkyman wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 11:11 pm Deep clean once a year, bore snake at least after shooting a bird, typically just the dry bore snake does the trick. I keep a bore snake in my turkey hunting gear bag that goes with me all spring.

If I hunt in some rain or think the barrel is dirty I may swab it out with some Butch's bore shine, but not very often.
I bought a bore snake in a little plastic case. I’ll just pack it with me. It does do a good job.

Return to “Gun Talk”