Opinions on 20g - Franchi Affinity 3 or Mossberg SA20 Tactical Turkey? Other?

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
Timmer

Opinions on 20g - Franchi Affinity 3 or Mossberg SA20 Tactical Turkey? Other?

Post by Timmer »

Hello all,

I hunt in the hill/river bluff country of southeast Minnesota and western Wisconsin. My style of hunting is sneak hunting the majority of the day, using the contour of the land for cover, frequently dropping into and climbing out of ravines, following deer trails in the woods, etc. As I get older it seems like the equipment I carry just keeps getting heavier! I've decided it's time to retire my turkey gun to the safe for future generations, and purchase something significantly lighter. My gun for the last 15+ years has been a 12g Benelli Super Nova with pistol grip that is over 9lbs and is much longer than an ideal turkey gun. For me the thrill of the hunt is getting inside a big boy's bubble, calling him away from the other pretty girls, and encouraging him to come in close. I don't need to be taking record setting long shots, so I believe a 20g semi auto is ideal for me. After researching quite a bit, I think I've narrowed it down to either the Franchi Affinity3 Turkey or the Mossberg SA-20 Tactical Turkey. Does anyone wish to share their experiences with these guns? Good, bad or indifferent? Or you have another gun you love and would recommend?
Timmer
All of the tools, some of the skills!
Roost 1

Re: Opinions on 20g - Franchi Affinity 3 or Mossberg SA20 Tactical Turkey? Other?

Post by Roost 1 »

Both are good guns but not comparing apples to apples here. If you don’t mind spending the extra money get the Franchi, it’s a much smoother action. I have both and it’s just hard to beat a Franchi, all things considered.
Timmer

Re: Opinions on 20g - Franchi Affinity 3 or Mossberg SA20 Tactical Turkey? Other?

Post by Timmer »

Roost 1 wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 9:30 am Both are good guns but not comparing apples to apples here. If you don’t mind spending the extra money get the Franchi, it’s a much smoother action. I have both and it’s just hard to beat a Franchi, all things considered.
That's helpful, thank you. There are 2 things that had me leaning towards the Mossberg. It's .7lbs lighter, and comes with a picatinny mount, even though I'm not sure I would use the mount. I don't mind spending extra and purchasing a mount separately (assume it's tapped for that), so it sounds like my debate is smoother gun vs lighter gun? Anything else?
Timmer
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

Roost 1 wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 9:30 am Both are good guns but not comparing apples to apples here. If you don’t mind spending the extra money get the Franchi, it’s a much smoother action. I have both and it’s just hard to beat a Franchi, all things considered.
I agree with this and I also have had both. Both are good, the Affinity is just a little better quality gun to me. Honestly, it is right there with the Benelli M2 in my eyes.
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

I agree with above, though I bought the Mossberg, found a deal on gunbroker for my thug version for like $350

I have had a few double fires, meaning it fired 2 rounds with one trigger pull! Happened on target loads only until last year, I double tapped a Colorado gobbler!

I thought I had it fixed by tearing down the bolt assembly and cleaning out the packing grease, I did contact Mossbeg but they wanted me to send the whole gun back and I never bothered thinking I had it fixed.

A guy on another forum had issues with a Frnachi recently and had to send it back twice, don't think that is the norm though.
Roost 1

Post by Roost 1 »

At less than $200 difference in price, I think the Franchi is a much better value. I do like the mossberg shotguns and the regular Sa-20, not the tactical version, for $500 or so is a great value.
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

Franchi every time, inertia every time there’s a choice for heavy loads.
MFL205

Post by MFL205 »

Franchi....you won't be sorry.

If you can find a compact version, in my mind for turkey hunting is better, keep a tighter profile.
Yes, the Franchi is drilled and tapped, no problem there.

Pair it with a Sumtoy mount and a Reflex sight....you will NOT be sorry!!
huntinsomd

Post by huntinsomd »

I've owned 3 of the Franchi's, 3 Tristar's and 1 Mossberg SA-28. All of those guns functioned flawlessly. I would also consider the Stoeger 3020 either the latest version or the old one (check Euro Optic for the best price on those). Don't hesitate buying a 28ga. They pattern very much like a 20ga out past 50yds (with TSS) and might be lighter, slimmer profile.

Dave
huntinsomd

Post by huntinsomd »

And definitely look at the SA-28 Tactical Turkey. Check the recent posts on the forum to see the patterns they throw! If you want one of those check out the price on Kentucky Gun Company.

Dave
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I dont have the SA20 turkey tactical, however I do have the SA20 Tactical Breeze that I turned into a turkey rig. I also have the Franchi.
Ill be taking the SA20 to NC in a couple weeks. It is lighter and more compact than my Franchi 20 turkey. As the SA20 is turkish made, it is cheaper than the Franchi and can save you a little bit of money especially if you shop around. But both are gonna get the job done and the Franchi should have a higher resale on down the road if your apt to buying selling and trading every few years.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

Just a reminder, if you try to order parts for your SA-20 Mossberg doesn’t offer any replacement parts for them, so if you would want to order a full size stock to replace the compact stock on your gun, you can forget it…….Absolutely No replacement parts!!!!!
Last edited by turkeyinstrut on March 23rd, 2023, 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Timmer

Post by Timmer »

I really appreciate all the feedback!
Timmer
jusanothajoe

Post by jusanothajoe »

I have an SA-20 turkey and it has been flawless, never a hiccup.
I'm the opposite, I want a GAS gun for heavy recoiling shells.
Timmer

Post by Timmer »

Thanks all for the feedback. According to their website, the Mossberg SA-20 Tactical Turkey w/ pistol grip has a length of pull of 12.75", vs the standard stock length of pull of 14.25". I want a pistol grip and that LOP is way too short for me. The Franchi is 14.375". Between the LOP and the opinions of this site and another site, the Franchi wins. Now I just have to convince the boss that I NEED to spend $950!
Timmer
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Pro Tip: Buy the new gun and bring it home in a roll of new carpeting! Yup!!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!

Return to “Small Bore”