Help starting slam

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Mostly feathers

Help starting slam

Post by Mostly feathers »

It seems the natural progression of the turkey hunter is to pursue the slam and that's where my son and I are. I really don't like the term "slam" but use it here as it's most common. So many places and options! Being from Michigan ,easterns are what we're used to. Merrimums first or Rios? Maybe the more exotic first like goulds or oscelated? Fly or drive? Not used to having so many options, lol. Any advice would be appreciated
JAW27

Re: Help starting slam

Post by JAW27 »

I'm 3/4 to my archery Grand Slam; I'm currently exploring Rio outfitters to finish up. If I were you, I would focus on getting an Osceola sooner than later. The increasing popularity of turkey slams and increasing development in central/southern Florida have prompted Osceola prices to rise significantly over the past several years. Prices will not be going lower. Many outfitters are charging around $3,000 for a single bird, with hogs often included. It wasn't long ago that prices were at or below $2,000. Good luck! Keep me posted if you find a good Rio outfitter in TX or OK.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

I would go through an outfitter in Florida. There are plenty but you may want to research a few and make your selection and get in the rotation. Some of these outfitters are booked a year out or better.
You can get a list of recommendations on the group Florida Turkey hunters on Fake Book.
Good luck.
Public land is also an option...But It is crowded and can be very discouraging. I get pissed off every year and vow to never hunt in Florida ever again. LOL
Mostly feathers

Post by Mostly feathers »

The osceola is the only one I was dreading! Lol I absolutely hate Florida, hahaha
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Gobbler wrote: November 10th, 2022, 2:56 pm I would go through an outfitter in Florida. There are plenty but you may want to research a few and make your selection and get in the rotation. Some of these outfitters are booked a year out or better.
You can get a list of recommendations on the group Florida Turkey hunters on Fake Book.
Good luck.
Public land is also an option...But It is crowded and can be very discouraging. I get pissed off every year and vow to never hunt in Florida ever again. LOL
May be he company you keep, as you may do better huntin' alone ;) ?
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Mostly feathers wrote: November 10th, 2022, 4:59 pm The osceola is the only one I was dreading! Lol I absolutely hate Florida, hahaha
Get ahold of "Doc" Tom Weddle for you Osceola, he's a member here, but last time I checked, he's probably booked a year or maybe now, 2 ahead, and have yer' wallet open. ;)
Guaranteed shot, unless that's changed??
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??

Return to “Gobbler Talk”