Thinking about adding a red dot

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Okiehunter

Post by Okiehunter »

I’m on the fence about adding a red dot to my SX3. What are the pros and cons y’all have come across with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Skimerhorn

Re: Thinking about adding a red dot

Post by Skimerhorn »

I really like my vortex. I have 2 of them, one on a 410 and the other on a 20. Never had a issue with either
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

Don't buy a cheap red dot, but a proven warranted unit. Sight the unit in and practice with both dove loads and finally with your preferred hunting loads at close and hunting ranges as determined by the pattern produced w/ your gun, choke, and shells. Practice mounting the gun and obtaining a good sight picture w/ your dot on target. You will be amazed that when the gobbler is in range, the red dot is on his wattles, and you squeeze off the round, you've got a dead turkey! Always carry a spare battery and become comfortable and familiar with the scope ie. replacing the battery, adjusting the intensity of the red dot, and always make sure the unit is turned off at the hunts conclusion.
firedup

Post by firedup »

They are GREAT for old eyes that see the back site fuzzy on open sites. I prefer the reflex style and can shoot with both eyes open. No issues with magnification confusing range like a scope. If its sited in and the dot is on.... the shot hits there. That really helps in some odd ball positions turkey hunters find themselves in. I have vortex on most of my guns and wouldn't be without them. There are decent ones out there for every price point.

The cons are batteries of course (I get 2-3 seasons out of one battery in my Vortex. I turn it on when leaving the truck and off when back at truck). Its mechanical so another thing to maintain. They can get knocked off (never had it happen but sure some have). And they can have the same issues as scopes in rainy weather.
Okiehunter

Post by Okiehunter »

decoykrvr wrote:Don't buy a cheap red dot, but a proven warranted unit. Sight the unit in and practice with both dove loads and finally with your preferred hunting loads at close and hunting ranges as determined by the pattern produced w/ your gun, choke, and shells. Practice mounting the gun and obtaining a good sight picture w/ your dot on target. You will be amazed that when the gobbler is in range, the red dot is on his wattles, and you squeeze off the round, you've got a dead turkey! Always carry a spare battery and become comfortable and familiar with the scope ie. replacing the battery, adjusting the intensity of the red dot, and always make sure the unit is turned off at the hunts conclusion.
I was thinking I’d go with a Burris fast fire 3. I like how the battery is top load and quick to swap.

Okiehunter

Post by Okiehunter »

firedup wrote:They are GREAT for old eyes that see the back site fuzzy on open sites. I prefer the reflex style and can shoot with both eyes open. No issues with magnification confusing range like a scope. If its sited in and the dot is on.... the shot hits there. That really helps in some odd ball positions turkey hunters find themselves in. I have vortex on most of my guns and wouldn't be without them. There are decent ones out there for every price point.

The cons are batteries of course (I get 2-3 seasons out of one battery in my Vortex. I turn it on when leaving the truck and off when back at truck). Its mechanical so another thing to maintain. They can get knocked off (never had it happen but sure some have). And they can have the same issues as scopes in rainy weather.
Do you have a 3 or 6 moa dot? I think the 6 might be to much for me at 40 yds and in.

decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

The Vortex Venom, I have 2, and the Burris Fast Fire 3, both feature top loading battery compartments and 3 moa or 8 moa red dots. The 3 moa is deemed a little small by some, I personally have no problem w/ the 3 moa, and the 8 moa is definitely too large. Both of these scopes are fully warranted and my interface w/ Vortex/Technical Support has been superb. Try to mount the scope as low as possible on your shotgun and this site has a number of options and pictures of different mounts.
Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Samm4770 »

Agreed don’t by cheap by a proven unit
Okiehunter

Post by Okiehunter »

decoykrvr wrote:The Vortex Venom, I have 2, and the Burris Fast Fire 3, both feature top loading battery compartments and 3 moa or 8 moa red dots. The 3 moa is deemed a little small by some, I personally have no problem w/ the 3 moa, and the 8 moa is definitely too large. Both of these scopes are fully warranted and my interface w/ Vortex/Technical Support has been superb. Try to mount the scope as low as possible on your shotgun and this site has a number of options and pictures of different mounts.
I’ve had really good with luck with vortex scopes in the past. I think I’ll go with a sum toy mount and have check out the Burris and vortex at a local shop. Thanks for the info

Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

I’ve looked through a Swampfox Justice recently. It was on a rib mount. It is few mm bigger and I really liked it. I hear good things about them and about Holuson also.

Burris FF3 I’ve heard of many battery cap issues. Lately I’ve read several complaints on vortex failures.

I’ve had a ff2 that has been a great site.

I had a venom for a short duration and it never gave me any issues, it just went with the gun it was on.

Had a Nikon spur….no issues with it.
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

Went with a FF3 myself this year mid season (and a new shotgun…). Got two shots with it and two birds rode home with me. One was a quick point and shoot and the other a calculated aim n squeeze. No complaints. Buy a good site, mount it right, do your due diligence on zero and it will TCB…. Good luck!
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Okiehunter wrote: June 7th, 2022, 10:14 pm
Do you have a 3 or 6 moa dot? I think the 6 might be to much for me at 40 yds and in.
FYI: at 40 yards, 6 moa covers a disk of 2.4". My 8 moa red dots cover 3.2" at 40 yards, 3 moa, 1.2". If the red dot of 6 moa fits inside the head or neck region, the bird is well within range. Gil
ol bob

Post by ol bob »

For me all pro no con.
A wise old owl sat in a mighty oak , The more he saw the less he spoke, The less he spoke the more he heard, Why can't everyone be like this wise Ol bird
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

After having a spectacular miss in low light with rifle sights, I went to a red dot over 25 years ago. It wasn't my first miss and my eyes hadn't been able to focus well in low light for several seasons. I won't say I've never missed with a red dot in 25 years, but not nearly as much as with iron sights. Encouraged by DocHolliday's success with Skinner peep system, I had success in 2020 with a 12 ga. rigged with the peep system. Encouraged by the success with "old school", forgetting lessons learned a quarter of a century ago, I rigged out a .410 with the peep system. I missed a bird this past season at 27 lasered. He stepped behind a tree, keeping it between me and him, answering my cuts and yelps after the shot. Fast forward two weeks with my 12 ga. with the peep system. Three birds came in; picked the biggest and missed at 40, a lasered 40. There's a fine line between "old school" and "old fool" and I crossed it ignoring the lessons of 25 years ago. A .333 batting average ain't bad in baseball, but it ain't great shooting turkeys. Back to the red dots. Gil
PS: Not blaming the sights for the miss. It ain't the arrow; it's the Indian.
Last edited by GLS on June 8th, 2022, 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

ol bob wrote: June 8th, 2022, 7:40 am For me all pro no con.
My sentiments, exactly.
As mentioned above, buy a good one and mount it securely! A red dot is not something that you want to skimp on.
It WILL increase your success.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Esquire

Post by Esquire »

I took me adding a red dot to one of my guns this year to miss a turkey. Had never missed one before this season. Put a red dot on my Stevens 301T 20 gauge and missed a jake with it. Admittedly, that may have been karma.

I love the gun and am warming to the red dot, though. I still shoot a bead on my Maxus, though, and will continue to do so.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Another no con vote. I’ve used Vortex and Holosun. No complaints with either but and partial to the Holosun because of some the options. Green vs. Red, multiple reticles, solar panel.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Okiehunter

Post by Okiehunter »

GLS wrote:
Okiehunter wrote: June 7th, 2022, 10:14 pm
FYI: at 40 yards, 6 moa covers a disk of 2.4". My 8 moa red dots cover 3.2" at 40 yards, 3 moa, 1.2". If the red dot of 6 moa fits inside the head or neck region, the bird is well within range. Gil
I think the 3 moa is what I’m going with. I’ve been shooting the factory front fiber on my sx3 and it seems to big at times. That’s some great info you shared and thank you.

Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

I have Burris FF3s on my turkey guns and have had no problem with them whatsoever. The 3moa dot works perfectly for me
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I prefer a smallish dot. 2-3 MOA.
Aim small, miss small.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Check the Burris FF3 & FF4

Use the promocode and save 20% if it’s online the Burris website.

Always a pro not a con when it comes to Burris. Solid and a excellent forever warranty. Won’t use vortex ever again as they shifted the dot on me with 2 of theirs. From now on it’s Burris
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
firedup

Post by firedup »

My vortex venom is 3 MOA and I wouldn't really want anything bigger. I don't have any experience with the Fastfire but their reputation is pretty solid. I will say that I stripped the threads out on one of my venoms battery compartment. Lifetime warranty so I called, no hassles, no find the old paperwork, proof of purchase or anything else and in less than 2 weeks I had a whole brand new unit in my mailbox. Cant beat that.
Gobblez

Post by Gobblez »

I have not found a con with my Bushnell RXS100. This is my first reflex red dot and Bushnell scopes have served me well over the years. It's a $100 sight with multiple brightness settings that are more than adequate for full sunlight.
hootgobbleyelpgobble

Post by hootgobbleyelpgobble »

I am partial to the FF3.

Only had 1 issue before and it was due to conditions. Had the glass fog over. Since then I run a cover on mine until I am ready to set up if its raining or bad fog.
Okiehunter

Post by Okiehunter »

hootgobbleyelpgobble wrote:I am partial to the FF3.

Only had 1 issue before and it was due to conditions. Had the glass fog over. Since then I run a cover on mine until I am ready to set up if its raining or bad fog.
After looking at them and reading up on them I went with the 3 moa fast fire and a sum toy mount. Have to find someone to drill and tap it local. I think it’s going to be a huge improvement.

Last edited by Okiehunter on June 9th, 2022, 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Gun Talk”