Been out for a while, season recap

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
jhogue

Been out for a while, season recap

Post by jhogue »

Started a new job last fall and got distracted fro
The message board. Had a fun deer season with my 6 year old boy. He managed to kill two does and my 11 year old daughter killed her first buck. Great fun in the woods with the kids for sure.

The boy turned 7 before turkey season started and I was determined to get him a turkey this season. He’s been in the woods with me before in turkey season, but this was the first year that we were both ready to put him behind the gun. Convinced him the day before Tennessee youth season to actually go. We picked a WMA and camped with some cool folks we met from Ohio. It got a little cold in the tent and each morning but he did goo. I messed up a couple of opportunities for him, that were marginal. He loved the camping but was a little put off by not getting to shoot. All in all a great trip.

Went with a couple buddies for three day trip the following weekend for the Tennessee regular season opener. We did not realize that a tornado had hit the area 48 hours before we got there. I’m not sure if that had anything to do with the lack of gobbling, but it was a very quiet weekend. We all went home empty handed.

Next season up was Oklahoma opener. I only had one morning to try my hand at some public that I’m very familiar with due to Easter on second day. An impending storm almost scared me off, but I took the chance and went anyway. A pretty strong storm hit the hour and a half before daylight, but calmed down just in time. I slipped in a gobbling time, but there wasn’t a peep all morning.

Two days later, Arkansas opened on Monday. I went in blind to a piece of military land and was on two birds gobbling immediately. I got within 150 yards and set up to wait on them to hit the ground. One hit the ground and gobbled once or twice. I called to him once and then heard a shot about a minute later. I decided that it could have been the first bird and not the one I heard gobble on the ground. 5 minutes later my assumption was proven true as that bird began gobbling at same place he was at fly down. I slipped up to the next ridge and yelped to him once. 5 minutes later he was flopping and I was done in Arkansas for a week. Tapatalk isn’t letting me add any more pics, so they will be in reply post.

The following week I scheduled off work. I planned to go back to Nebraska, but the weather every direction north and west of Arkansas was projected to be terrible for the next three to four days. I decided to change up the week and head to East Tennessee and Southwest Virginia to chase good weather. I’ve never been either of these places before and really had not researched much. I have a buddy that lives in Virginia. He’s invited me several times to come hunt with him, so the weather made this a fun option. I found a bird gobbling my second morning in Tennessee. I really should have killed that bird around 8:30, but let terrain fool me into thinking he was further away. I pumped him trying to close some ground. Pretty sure he was walking to me quickly when I ran into him. Never struck him again that day and headed to Virginia for three days. Had a great time with my buddy. Saw a lot of country I’d never seen before and met some fun new people. After three days I headed back to Tennessee to work my way home. I went right back to the bird I hunted three days before. I managed to roost him and had one morning to hunt him. The next morning he gobbled great on the limb and even better on the ground. He worked to about 80 yards and then walked out of my life. I tried to keep up with him, but he shut up when he waked away. I headed back to Arkansas with 6 tags in my pocket and some good memories.

I only had a few more opportunities to hunt in Arkansas. I managed to get my boy to hunt with me one more time. I called two birds in to gun range for him, but he never could see them. We tried to work back to them, but never could make it work. I had a couple short hunts in Arkansas that didn’t produce even a gobble.

I thought my season was over. I checked the last day of Oklahoma season and realized that I would get one last ditch effort this Monday after Guard drill all weekend. I scheduled leave for the day and watched the weather daily hoping for good weather and one last opportunity.

Drill weekend was busy, and I was tired, but when the alarm went off at 2:00 am, I was ready to go. I got a Mountain Dew and a 5 hour energy and crushed the three hour drive to my spot. I walked the .6 miles into my listening spot. At 5:55 a bird gobbled right where a bird has been the last three seasons. I made tracks to him and he started gobbling better. At 6:10, I sat down at about 100 yards from his roost. His next gobble was on the ground. I gave him one low run of yelps. He did not respond. At about 6:13 he gobbled again, but hadn’t really moved. At 6:17, he gobbled and I respond softly with a run of yelps and then a Jake yelp. He didn’t respond. At 6:20 he gobbled and had moved laterally, and maybe closer. I responded with run of yelps and then Jake yelp again. At 6:30 I began to wonder if he had left. At 6:33, I heard drumming twice (I have issues with upgrading yelps due to frequency; but absolutely heard it this time). I focused on the sound and saw his head immediately. He was in range and I wasted no time. He hit the ground and my season was now officially over.

I don’t claim to be a good turkey hunter, but I give it my all every year, and try to get better. I sure spent a lot on tags and gas this year and only have two birds to show for it. I’m definitely not sore about the number and feel blessed to have the birds I did get. I also feel blessed to get to hunt with my kids, my dad, and the other few people I spent time with.

I don’t get to enjoy the 2023 season due to an upcoming military requirement, but have sight on 2024.

I’m trying not get caught up on everyone else’s stories. Great to be part of this group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jhogue

Re: Been out for a while, season recap

Post by jhogue »

Our feeder steer out in yard while I was hunting Tennessee opener. Not sure if my wife wanted his blood or mine more that morning [emoji23]

Arkansas bird.

Waterfall found in Tennessee when attempting to relocate morning’s gobbling bird. I know where this spot is and never intend to go there again without really good reason.
Oklahoma bird

wisgobbler997

Post by wisgobbler997 »

Beautiful birds congrats on a great season!

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Yessir a great season
When your son does connect..

He will know it’s all worth it
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Samm4770 »

Great story!
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Good looking turkeys and whitetail. Congrats.
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

Congrats on a great season, nothing better than faith, family and friends. Your Arkansas bird almost looks like an Oscelated with the head. Enjoy your time, well deserved :old_glory:
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Wow, dedication like I once had :shock:

Congrats for stickin' with it' and gettin' er' done :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

Good hunting buddy! Congrats on your season

Return to “Gobbler Talk”