Rib Mounts for Red Dots

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Jstocks

Rib Mounts for Red Dots

Post by Jstocks »

Didn’t want to derail the other guy’s thread.

Curious how you guys who are shooting the meadow creek or other rib type mounted sights like them?

I’m considering one on my 870 express 16 gauge to keep from drill and tapping, but wanted to know about stability if the mounts liek the meadow creek.

Also, I see some referring to “field of view” as being an advantage. Not sure I agree on the terminology, but I could see the sight being mounted further away giving you a better peripheral that is less disturbed when aiming at a turkey. The only thing I can think of this being an advantage would be better “wing shooting” type shooting if you were shooting a spooked or crippled bird.

Those who have used both rib and receiver mounted sights, which do you prefer and why?
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Rib Mounts for Red Dots

Post by Hoobilly »

I use EGW receiver mounts if they are drilled and tapped. With that being said I prefer them on the front of the receiver instead of closer to my face.

When I seen the Meadowcreekmounts I thought that wouldn’t be as nice as it is. When I shot Robert McCormicks 1300 20ga with the meadowcreekmounts and a Burris FF3 I was impressed.

So much that I got a couple for my guns that aren’t received optic ready. First one was my BPS 410 and I duck and goose hunted with it. Now I have the Meadowcreekmounts on 2 410’s, the mossberg sa28 and the Retay 20. Wing shooting g is definitely easier with it out in the vent rib
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Samm4770 »

I put a meadow creek mount on my Tristar 410 and I think I like it better then the rail style mount I have my 20 gauge. The sight being a little farther away from my face makes it a little nicer for me.
patternfreak

Post by patternfreak »

I've used them for the past two seasons. The meadow creek mounts.

They've done great for me. They hold true and I love the sight picture more than having one right in my face
dustyroads

Post by dustyroads »

I have both and like both systems.
The meadow creek is very solid and gives you a less disturbed field of view. With it you can see alot more of what is going on in front of you without having to look around a optic right in front of your face, if you are down on the gun waiting on a turkey.
I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try, I'd bet you will like it.
patternfreak

Post by patternfreak »

I wouldn't hold this as always being true, but...

I've taken a meadow creek mount off of a gun for a year, put it back on in the same section of the rib with the same red dot, shot it, and it was dead on

Neat to know you really only have to sight it in one time and then shoot once before season to check it if you reinstall

Return to “Gun Talk”