A new chapter

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

A new chapter

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Since sal and I broke up two years ago my desire has faded... When you spend 40+ days a spring together in the woodsand that is gone first by separation than by death, a little bit of the drive was taken away ... I had not even looked at my treasure chest... The day after her funeral for some reason opened it, on top her box she used religiously all over the country with a hair tye of hers, still sounds good... Picked up my pots and a mouth call, like riding a bike.... I can't put them down, I feel like me again....

I was supposed to hunt with a buddy and his daughter this morning but when I didn't hear from him by midnight I knew it was happening...

I still woke at 5 walked across the road with nothing but a tube and a cup a coffee, hit the tube gobble across the section... Hit him again same....

Started for home, hoped in vehicle drove to his property where we were gonna hunt hit the tube pow gobble maybe 3-4 birds right where we were supposed to be...Now I'm kinda pissed but feeling like a part of me was back.

Head to another piece stop tube pow gobble and head for home....

Get home break out the pots and didn't call in a turkey but a female cardinal lit in a tree 50 yards away... I have goose bumps.... I believe in the whole cardinal thing.... It was her

Grab my trout rod head back across street first hole bang bang 2.... Next hole where I listened this morning bang one.... Than a goose flew over, gobble not 400 yards I voice Yelp he cuts me off wait a second voice Yelp now he's standing about where I killed my first gobbler 29 years ago...

I quickly realize why trout fishing was a pursuit after turkey season and hot foot it home....

I know everyone says they could never give this up... I was that way too, this bird has controlled and ruined my life since I was six... Than along came sal 22 years, ago, someone that shared the same drive and passion as I.... I Have friends tthat turkey hunt, but their not turkey people... With her was turkey 365 days a year... Whether running calls, watching DVDs, patterning, practicing calling, glassing or hunting.... We didnt have kids so it was dogs and turkey hunting

I dunno, I could probably slip over there anytime and kill that bird every morning I'm over there they are there but I dunno... Won't be the same going to the goose,duck,turkey deer graveyard cranking country hammering back our celebratory beers.... That was us... In our lil town if folks didn't know our name they knew us as the turkey hunters as in April and May we had camo on faces painted pretty much everyday... Imma miss hunting with her, it's gonna be different... Sal was pure poison on gobblers... The evolution I got to witness from her first bird to the last makes me so proud.... I've hunted with probably 100-200 people and she was simply the best... We read each other's minds, no discussing, we just went at em. Even after we broke up all I wanted for her was happiness after she passed I wanted one last hunt, one last setup, one last celebration I'll never have that....

So tonight took a ride by my buddies they were out there, he said his daughter don't wanna go but he'll shoot, he called our other mutual best friend, he's going.... These are the two that have stuck with me through everything, the break up, after my near death experience and extended hospital stay got me going, when she passed they took me to her funeral.... They were also really close with Sal, Sal's friends were our friends she was one of the guys an equal...

If I'm gonna hop back in the saddle can't think of anyone I'd rather be with... I'm not gonna tote a gun, I will when the timings right.... I've hunted his since I got my driver's licence seen them do this same thing many a time and watched quite a few die when they do...

I don't smile or laugh alot lately but win or lose I'm sure I will tommorow...
KIMG4442.JPG

KIMG4412.JPG
Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: A new chapter

Post by Samm4770 »

Keep your head up. Sounds like your beginning a new chapter in life and it sounds like a good one! Thanks for sharing
ccleroy

Post by ccleroy »

Good luck man. I’ve followed you and Sal for close to 20 years……God Bless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
WAGinVA

Post by WAGinVA »

Tom, you don't know me from Adam but know that I have you in my thoughts and prayers. I did not know that you and Sal had split but I did notice that your posts did not include mention of her for a while, I was stunned to learn of her passing. God will speak to you and he knows what is important to you and will make opportunities available to you, all you have to do is listen for him.
Your cyber friend,
Terry Wagner
Powhatan, VA
Jbird22

Post by Jbird22 »

We're all rooting for you Tom! I hope you guys have an awesome hunt together and am glad to see the things you used to love start to excite you again!
Contact Info - 4XWADSLITTER@GMAIL.COM
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

God be with you my Brother. As you know my wife and I have added another chapter to our lives as well.Believe me when I say,I know your pain. Wish I could be there to give you a big ol bro hug.Bless you Tom.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

My heart aches for you, Brother... I cannot fathom the pain and hurt that you are dealing with.. I pray that you can find peace. 🙏
The memories will last forever.
The day will come when you can talk about Sal with a smile on your face rather than a tear in your eye..
God bless you, Tom...
Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

We don’t know one another, but I do know your posts here on this forum. Funny how the world changes and folks we “know” we may have never even met in person.

I’m sorry to hear about your loss, and I guess I missed the break up and the passing, but I’m glad I saw this post.

Tom, know you have folks out there that will be praying for you by name. Know that they have specific prayers in mind for you that include healing with the passing of time. God has a plan for your life. I’m glad to hear you picking back up on things you enjoy, and hope you continue to push on through and get back in that saddle.
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

Sorry for your loss!!!

Looks like it is time to get back out there.

Good luck, be safe and enjoy it!
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

🙏
Attachments
C6C73CAF-BEE8-47CE-A4BD-FD9C805F1368.jpeg
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Good luck on the hunt and the new chapter.
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

Sir, I can't imagine your pain and struggle right now. I'm gonna be very, very selfish and say I hope I don't ever experience it. Please, please take your time, reach out to anyone for help and realize each and every day that the Sun rises is a new and everlasting beginning. The Gobbie Nation family is here Brother
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Hey man I haven't posted much especially on this topic mostly because I hurt for you loss and also the fact that it really saddens me to think about this. My oldest daughter was 31 and passed suddenly last fall. I have not hunted since then and haven't even picked up a call this spring. I'm in a total funk. I know its not the same as what you are going through. I hope it gets better for both of us. I am glad that you are able to get out with some friends and wish you the best. Thoughts are with you my friend.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Thanks y'all appreciate it... Means alot.... I've shared more on here than anywhere about all this... We share a common bond.... I've made one FB post about her since she passed, I don't run to FB for every crisis. I didn't say much on here when we broke up and I had health issues my life got turned upside down... I was lost.... Didn't know which way was up... When she passed I had a real coming to Jesus with myself, said Tom you gotta start doing the things that made you happy made you who you were even pre Sally... Why I bought all new trout gear, why I pulled out the calls, why I may buy a new smoker, why I went this morning... I guess to find myself I have to go back to the beginning... I've literally done nothing for me in two years.... I haven't been out other than grocery shop at night or take Cougar for a walk somewhere.... One of my buddies from this morning lives 2 miles a way, heated barn spends every evening out there, I've Ben there twice in two years to hang out, sal and I'd be there twice a week.... Last weekend, a friend from down state who has a deer camp up here called said I'mma open camp you better stop over... I hadn't talked to him since the break up despite him calling multiple times and me ignoring his calls, heck I found the camp for him to purchase, took his kid for his first deer, turkey waterfowl.... That's where sal and I spent most weekend night a deer season playing cards, we'd cook them huge meals, help tracking and skinning.... I guess for two years I was scared of the memories. I said Tom you gotta do it, loaded Cougar up, I went at 9 stayed till midnight.... Felt good, I missed that camp atmosphere, it was apart of me... I apologized, we shared Sal stories, we caught up...

Onto this morning... They gobbled really well, hen yelping, Jake yelping... Calling was like I never left the woods a reaction to what they were doing, leaned on my tube hard like always...

Birds were roosted where they have since I was lil...We sat in the planted pines there about 150 yards long by 10 rows wide.... They always take one side or the other to get to a smaller field behind.... The four Jake's read the script, came into ten yards and stood.... Had to quit calling with the three gobbies and two hens behind a rise in the field.... Last gobbler could tell they were headed to the other end gave um some and they passed me on the edge about 70 yards... Had a wish sal was here moment, last gobble when. They were over the rise she'd a known they were headed to the opposite end and slithered past me within gun range of the corner.... That killer instinct makes the difference, not the oh well get um next time complacency....

So the birds eventually wander the opposite direction, we make it to the truck they drop me off at home.... I've lost all track of time put coffee on, look at my phone 730.... So I dial up my buddy, you know it's 730 right, you wanna regroup head somewhere else, nah I'm gonna roto til my garden....

I'm not used to this, sal and I knock out 10+ properties a day, tag someone early well let's see if we can get so and so one or they pissed me off this morning so you hunt harder and longer, never being satisfied motivation.... I'm being selfish but I was so fortunate to have the one that that I loved that was like that, now imma struggle find a friend like that.... I guess that's why I come here. Even after a hunt like this morning if she didn't hunt wed be on the phone, she'd a went and glassed, listened before whatever she had to do to point us where we should be headed next....

It'll never be the same.... But man I'll work on it and everything else baby steps....
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

It sounds like you've had a good weekend. Glad to hear that you got on some birds.
RaspyD

Post by RaspyD »

Glad that you found that fire deep inside didn't go out. Keep stoking it.
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

May many more smiles and laughs be waiting around the corner for you, buddy...
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Hognutz wrote: May 15th, 2022, 9:04 am My heart aches for you, Brother... I cannot fathom the pain and hurt that you are dealing with.. I pray that you can find peace. 🙏
The day will come when you can talk about Sal with a smile on your face rather than a tear in your eye..
God bless you, Tom...
Mike
Mike you're right I have alot of memories there everywhere I look, everything I do.... I've thought and I may just pack up and leave to a far away place distant from them a new exciting, scary beginning....

I am fortunate all the memories I have are good.... Now I'd be a list after 20 years to tell you there wasn't ups and downs any couple would.... But the good memories are all that stand out I feel blessed to have them one day, the next I wish I could forget everything and it might be easier
271724667_4924842617538661_4312286562681268158_n.jpg
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Tom, you have definitely been through more recently than most people go through in a lifetime. It's just going to take time, but no one can tell you how much time. Just keep taking those baby steps and one day they will be leaps and you'll be back on top once again where you were!

Take care and God Bless,

Kevin
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: May 16th, 2022, 1:28 pm
Hognutz wrote: May 15th, 2022, 9:04 am My heart aches for you, Brother... I cannot fathom the pain and hurt that you are dealing with.. I pray that you can find peace. 🙏
God bless you, Tom...
Mike
Mike you're right I have alot of memories there everywhere I look, everything I do.... I've thought and I may just pack up and leave to a far away place distant from them a new exciting, scary beginning....

I am fortunate all the memories I have are good.... Now I'd be a list after 20 years to tell you there wasn't ups and downs any couple would.... But the good memories are all that stand out I feel blessed to have them one day, the next I wish I could forget everything and it might be easier

271724667_4924842617538661_4312286562681268158_n.jpg
I love ya, Man!!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

We’ve been friends for a long time
Nwtf forum was the best thing that happened to me and getting to become online friends with so many

Basically watched you both grow up.
Getting out and doing what you both loved doing together will make you feel empty, yet you’ll feel complete and be healing. Someday you’ll smile as you hunt and think back of a memory, a moment that was so special for you that you’ll not be sure your crying for joy or pain.

Like you said
Baby steps
One day at a time

You might have to push yourself
But you’ll be glad you did.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

God bless you brother
SCtrkyhntr

Post by SCtrkyhntr »

Tom, sorry for your loss brother, but glad you were able to get back in the woods this spring. It's hard to find a better place than the spring woods to clear your mind and replay the memories of our loved ones that are no longer here. I hope you continue to get after the gobblers, I'm sure she would want that.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

SCtrkyhntr wrote: May 26th, 2022, 5:52 pm Tom, sorry for your loss brother, but glad you were able to get back in the woods this spring. It's hard to find a better place than the spring woods to clear your mind and replay the memories of our loved ones that are no longer here. I hope you continue to get after the gobblers, I'm sure she would want that.
Thanks Dusty... Nice see you around... One year need get the band back together meet up in Nashville....

Been too long
SCtrkyhntr

Post by SCtrkyhntr »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: May 26th, 2022, 10:48 pm
Thanks Dusty... Nice see you around... One year need get the band back together meet up in Nashville....

Been too long
Absolutely man, we had some good times in Nashville and its been way too long since we all got together out there!

Return to “Gobbler Talk”