H&R 28 gauge

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

H&R 28 gauge

Post by jsh909 »

Wondering if anyone here has had a H&R single shot 28 gauge threaded for chokes? If so were you able to get something other than TruChoke? I will just leave it as a fixed full choke if that is my only option.

I have called a few places and was told they would need to see the barrel to determine if they could use a different system. I was just hoping someone here has had one done before I pay shipping both ways for nothing.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: H&R 28 gauge

Post by Hoobilly »

What all is available for threading a 28ga???

I know a young man who has one. He hasn’t killed a turkey yet with it

I am trying to talk him into doing it
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

Brice
Mike Orlen should be able to thread that barrel. I have one in the shop and can double check if you’d like. Mike charges stupid cheap prices and does good work. He’s well thought of in the shotgun world
NRA Benefactor Life Member
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

Hoobilly wrote: May 8th, 2022, 7:11 pm What all is available for threading a 28ga???

I know a young man who has one. He hasn’t killed a turkey yet with it

I am trying to talk him into doing it
Not sure on that, I just told them I didn't want Tru Choke and they said they would need to see the barrel to determine if they could do anything else.
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

William Lambert at Sumtoy should be able to do it also, but will be more expensive
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

Thank you Doc
patternfreak

Post by patternfreak »

When I called sumtoy they told me they couldn't do 28ga. I ended up sending mine to Briley, would not recommend
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

What happened at Briley? I know that they’ve jacked prices up
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Mike Orlen has remarkably fast turn around time PROVIDING it involves opening fixed chokes up, lengthening forcing cones, or cutting barrel lengths and threading for choke tubes. However, he limits the threading to fit Colonial Arms and Trulock chokes. Most specialty choke makers such as Jebs, Sumtoy, etc. can match Mike's threading in their chokes. In the past, his barrel work for me including from the time I mailed it to completed work and return to my house took less than 10 days every time. I have used him at least a half dozen times over the years. Gil
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Mike Orlen has remarkably fast turn around time PROVIDING it involves opening fixed chokes up, lengthening forcing cones, or cutting barrel lengths and threading for choke tubes. However, he limits the threading to fit Colonial Arms and Trulock chokes. Most specialty choke makers such as Jebs, Sumtoy, etc. can match Mike's threading in their chokes. In the past, his barrel work for me including from the time I mailed it to completed work and return to my house took less than 10 days every time. I have used him at least a half dozen times over the years. Before Sumtoy had the tools required to tap .410, Mike threaded it and Sumtoy matched the threading with his choke. Sumtoy, CompNChoke, Jebs,etc. can also do the entire job. Gil
patternfreak

Post by patternfreak »

DocHolliday wrote: May 9th, 2022, 12:43 pm What happened at Briley? I know that they’ve jacked prices up
I was told my 870 28 gauge barrel could not be threaded to Mobil threads, only to find out later they have threaded 870 28ga barrels to Mobil threads before.

Also, they told me 3 weeks turnaround time so I would have it for turkey opener. It ended up taking 7 weeks and I got it back about the time turkey season ended.

They made me three chokes to fit the thin wall system. They are the "all metal" chokes. The turkey choke they made is a .523 and patterns terribly. I am limited to shooting their chokes now that it is threaded with their thin wall system.

To top it all off, by the time you pay shipping and tax, the job with 3 tubes will cost you dang near $500.

All to have a gun that won't shoot as good as my 410 with nearly half the amount of shot
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

Fits my experience pretty much exactly. To do a double is now north of $700
alpha burnt

Post by alpha burnt »

Dang, that’s hard to swallow but glad you put info out to save someone else the time & trouble.
batsonbe

Post by batsonbe »

patternfreak wrote: May 9th, 2022, 1:40 pm
DocHolliday wrote: May 9th, 2022, 12:43 pm What happened at Briley? I know that they’ve jacked prices up
I was told my 870 28 gauge barrel could not be threaded to Mobil threads, only to find out later they have threaded 870 28ga barrels to Mobil threads before.

Also, they told me 3 weeks turnaround time so I would have it for turkey opener. It ended up taking 7 weeks and I got it back about the time turkey season ended.

They made me three chokes to fit the thin wall system. They are the "all metal" chokes. The turkey choke they made is a .523 and patterns terribly. I am limited to shooting their chokes now that it is threaded with their thin wall system.

To top it all off, by the time you pay shipping and tax, the job with 3 tubes will cost you dang near $500.

All to have a gun that won't shoot as good as my 410 with nearly half the amount of shot
That sucks. I’m sorry to hear that!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

patternfreak wrote: May 9th, 2022, 1:40 pm

man that really sucks
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
patternfreak

Post by patternfreak »

It sure does. I sent the .523 back and they are going to exchange it for a .520

Hopefully we can get a choke to shoot halfway decent. It isn't even putting 200 pellets in the 10" with a 1-3/8oz or 1-5/8oz load. I figured it would do at least 250

For people reading this wanting their barrel threaded. The ONLY way to go in 28ga is with a mobil thread and an indian creek choke

Like I said, my 410 can do better than the Briley 28ga lol
dustyroads

Post by dustyroads »

Who will thread in mobil choke for the 28 gauge?

I recently put together a 16 gauge 870 wingmaster and have ran into similar issues after threading to thin wall truchoke. Limited choke options and pattern #s less than 20 gauge #s. I would like to have options on choke thread pattern but not sure who offers this. Seems like it is tru choke or nothing.
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

dustyroads wrote: May 10th, 2022, 7:12 pm Who will thread in mobil choke for the 28 gauge?

I recently put together a 16 gauge 870 wingmaster and have ran into similar issues after threading to thin wall truchoke. Limited choke options and pattern #s less than 20 gauge #s. I would like to have options on choke thread pattern but not sure who offers this. Seems like it is tru choke or nothing.
When you guys say you get pattern numbers less than the 20 is it comparable loads? And did you step to a 16 to increase pattern density?

Reason I ask is because I shoot 2 oz loads in my 20 but 1 3/4 oz loads in my 16. It would be unfair to compare the 2 as far as numbers go.

The search for a pattern to hit 250 in a 28 gauge? I’m not getting that in my 16, but I don’t feel like my patterns are not good enough. Actually I like to open my patterns a bit more than most I guess. Nice even patterns at 40 yards is what I like, but I’m shooting just a bead on my guns.

Hot core patterns can be trouble for a woods hunter.
dustyroads

Post by dustyroads »

I not sure about others but I am personally trying to kill a turkey with all gauges of shotguns. I currently need 16 and 10 gauge to complete this.
I have been shooting 1 5/8 loads in my 20 gauge and don't struggle to get 260-300 pellet count with #9s.
The 16 gauge is shooting the same payloads or slightly more. Patterns have been inconsistent and average 200-250. This has come after alot of trial and error, also comparing against apex loads, which didn't perform as well as handloads.
To me a increase in gauge should increase performance. Otherwise what is the benefit to packing it.
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

dustyroads wrote: May 10th, 2022, 8:14 pm I not sure about others but I am personally trying to kill a turkey with all gauges of shotguns. I currently need 16 and 10 gauge to complete this.
I have been shooting 1 5/8 loads in my 20 gauge and don't struggle to get 260-300 pellet count with #9s.
The 16 gauge is shooting the same payloads or slightly more. Patterns have been inconsistent and average 200-250. This has come after alot of trial and error, also comparing against apex loads, which didn't perform as well as handloads.
To me a increase in gauge should increase performance. Otherwise what is the benefit to packing it.
If you are only using Trulock chokes, maybe try getting one with less constriction. I believe mine maybe in the .600 range and others who have more open chokes seem to get way hotter patterns than I do. Mine is regular around the 245 mark at 40 yards. It’s a great pattern in my opinion.

My 20 gauges shoot a lot tighter core, but again…..I’m using a recipe with more shot.

Increasing gauge doesn’t necessarily mean automatic performance improvements. Larger gauges definitely have more potential with higher volume hulls for carrying capacity increases, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that someone shooting a 12 gauge 2 oz load will outshoot my 10” patterns with my 2 oz load in my 20 gauges.

Its all about matching the load/choke/gun combo and that takes trial and error. It doesn’t matter whether you are counting pellets on paper or shooting turkeys.

Try opening up that 16 some.

For the 28 ga shooters, I have less experience with those, but you guys may want to try 9.5’s instead of 9’s. Also try some non ported chokes that are more open constriction than what you are using. All metal hulls could be an option that increases performance also.
dustyroads

Post by dustyroads »

I have been testing with a 605 and 615 comp-n-choke, and also a 615 sumtoy. I have ordered a 600 and 610 comp-n-choke to continue testing. They had to custom cut these for me and I am still waiting on them to get finished.
I also have another 870 wingmaster barrel that I would like to get cut and threaded to a different choke thread pattern. Something with more options for choke manufacturers.
patternfreak

Post by patternfreak »

Indian creek .520 and a 28ga 1-3/8oz or 1-5/8oz load does not struggle at all to do 250-300 in the 10" at 40yards. I would pressure Briley into threading your barrel to Mobil and not get any of their chokes

Return to “Small Bore”