28 Gauge Choke Suggestions?

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
merriamsman

28 Gauge Choke Suggestions?

Post by merriamsman »

I have a question regarding choke constrictions for a 28 gauge Stevens 555. My wife has been having trouble with missing birds in close. I think the problem is the patterns are too tight. I am currently running a Tru-choke .520 (Super Full) diameter for the “tight” choked barrel and a Tru-choke .535 (Improved Modified) diameter for the “open” choked barrel. I’m wondering if I should go to an even bigger bore for the open choke, maybe .538 (Modified) or .544 (Improved Cylinder). Any suggestions?
merriamsman

Re: 28 Gauge Choke Suggestions?

Post by merriamsman »

I should add that I am shooting Apex Ammo 1 3/8 oz. of 9.5 TSS shot.
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

Sounds more like nerves? An improved modified should be quite forgiving, what does it look like on paper at 15 yards? Are their sights on the gun? If you are shooting birds close maybe a modified and a full and forget the super full?
Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Samm4770 »

I think anyone shooting tss at close distance thur a full choke is experiencing the same thing lol. Have her shoot them farther out. Which I don’t think any turkey hunter would ever have to say that lol
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

Both barrels shoot same poa/poi?
merriamsman

Post by merriamsman »

I have a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot on the gun. Both barrels hit to the same POA.

Any thoughts on using a lead load in the more open choked barrel?
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

If the majority of her shots are 30 yards and under just let her shoot lead, I think Fiocchi makes a 28 ga. Pheasant load that is nickel plated and should pattern satisfactorily out to 40 yards.
merriamsman

Post by merriamsman »

I should mention that she was using the more open choked barrel on those misses. Just wondering if maybe that open choked barrel should be even more open than IM (.535)? Or would a lead load possibly give a more open pattern, but still have enough pattern density in the small gauge to effectively kill a bird at 20 yards?
merriamsman

Post by merriamsman »

Thanks turkeyinstrut. I sent that last message before you replied. How many ounces and what size lead shot would you recommend?
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

Lead 7.5s maybe for the open barrel, should cover 25 yards or so depending on load weight. Probably max out at a 1oz load so range will be limited! What size pattern does the IM choke give at say 20 yards?

Edit, Fiocchi has a 1 1/16th oz load, golden pheasant.
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

I shoot Cyl and sk1 in the open barrels of my 2 28’s. Also use 10’s on that side. Swarm of angry hornets.

With TSS, IM (Light Full) choke should be about volleyball size at 20, could be a little smaller. I started shooting sxs over 20 years ago for the very reason you described. Didn’t miss far, missed close throwing a tight arse pattern. As to shooting them further out, down here in the swamp, rarely an option.
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Samm4770 wrote: May 7th, 2022, 2:17 pm I think anyone shooting tss at close distance thur a full choke is experiencing the same thing lol. Have her shoot them farther out. Which I don’t think any turkey hunter would ever have to say that lol
For that reason I intentionally made my wife’s turkey gobbler and strut at 20-25 yards because I was afraid if it getting too close
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
merriamsman

Post by merriamsman »

Thank you all for the suggestions. Those are some good ideas for me to consider.
merriamsman

Post by merriamsman »

Doc, with the IM choke I’m getting less than volleyball sized groups at 20 yards. Maybe between a softball and a volleyball. What might I expect with an IC choke?
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

Personally I’d go all the way to skeet 1 or cyl. I’ve set up close to 20 doubles now and those two give me closer to 12-18” wide patterns at 20. With tss and 10’s, I’m good to 30 if I make an error in distance.
merriamsman

Post by merriamsman »

Doc, thanks!
bcturkeynut

Post by bcturkeynut »

Just as a reference, here’s a pick of my Stevens 555 with a .552 skeet at 15 yards with 1.5oz of 9s. This is my bottom barrel and you can see it’s low as I have the red dot sighted in with the top barrel wearing an Indian Creek .520. I too elected to shoot 10s in this open barrel but don’t have a pic of the pattern.
Attachments
F96FC16A-1AC5-4DF3-BCA6-3CB5C24FD5D3.jpeg
merriamsman

Post by merriamsman »

bc, thanks for that information - reinforces what doc says. One question - isn’t .550 the bore diameter of a 28 gauge which would be considered Cylinder choke? Just wondering how you can have a choke that is .552, i.e. more open than Cylinder?
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

^
This is the problem I have with o/u’s. Up to 8” low from bottom barrel . Some have solved this dilemma by putting tight choke in bottom barrel and open in top. In effect reversing the standard wingshooting setup. I have no experience doing so, just know that others have. I have not had this problem with the SxS’s I’ve set up.
merriamsman

Post by merriamsman »

Just to add, Trulock lists its most open choke at .550 and labeled as Cylinder. The Trulock Skeet 1 is shown at .547.
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

To add to POI discussion, with a relatively inexpensive choke tube and a fine rat-tail file POI can be adjusted :lol:
merriamsman

Post by merriamsman »

Doc, my Stevens 555 O/U has both barrels hit very close to POI. I was pleasantly surprised that the barrels would be correctly trued on such an inexpensive gun.
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

Merri:
You’re lucky!
My comment was directed above.
I think you will like the open choke option.
merriamsman

Post by merriamsman »

Doc, thanks a bunch.

Return to “Small Bore”