Shotgun that wont break your face

Talk about 10 12 & 16 gauge shotguns here.
FireHunter551

Shotgun that wont break your face

Post by FireHunter551 »

Ive been hunting and fishing for my whole life. But, I never got into Turkey hunting. This year is the year to try it out. I got a late spring tag in Wisconsin. I shoot pistols and rifles but never had much interest in Shotguns. Never excited me much. I dont know much about them. I hunt with a .308 and 7mm Magnum... prefering the softer shooting .308 over the Shoulder banging 7 Mag.

I asked my avid turkey hunting buddy about what shotgun to get. He has a first gen Mossberg 835 Ulti Mag.. non ported. And does he have the stories where he lets people shoot it and they end up with busted faces! I've watched experienced turkey hunting youtubers patterning their shotguns and taking a stock to the cheek. All I can think is if these guys are taking punishment like this in a controlled shooting range environment, How's their day end up when shooting awkwardly in the woods? I love big booms and it's cool having the biggest gun at the range. I love shooting big guns... But at the end of the day, I care more about not hurting my aging body anymore. lol. I always end up not using and selling off punishing guns.

So that leads me to shotgun selection. I want to get the job done and not leave an animal injured. I'm a bigger guy so can handle a big gun. Really, recoil isnt that big of an issue. I can suck it up. But frankly dont want to take it to the face when shooting in an awkward position in the woods. It apparently happens. I'm looking for tips on minimizing punishment... if that's even possible in Turkey hunting.

Semi auto vs pump? I prefer pump reliability, but it'll be a one shot deal anyway, so I'm not too concerned with owning a semi auto if it'll drastically reduce kick.
    Preferred loads? Is 3" better than 3 1/2" in terms of felt recoil? I dont want to sacrifice penetration.
    Does a pistol grip help much in handling awkward shooting positions in the woods?
    Red dot make a difference in how you mount the shotgun?
    Any specific shotguns to consider? Ive looked at the Mossberg 835 and like the feel... and the tang safety. Maybe a tacticool Turkey 835 with the pistol grip?

Thanks in advance for the advice and opunions!
    ol bob

Re: Shotgun that wont break your face

Post by ol bob »

835 s the most brutal gun ever made, even tho they work well. If I was just starting out today I would get a 20 ga. with #9 TSS and never look back. 15/8 oz of TSS #9s will kill a turkey about twice as far as you should ever shoot a one.
    A wise old owl sat in a mighty oak , The more he saw the less he spoke, The less he spoke the more he heard, Why can't everyone be like this wise Ol bird
    Hognutz
    Gobbler Nation
    Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

53EBC249-50F0-4236-A1B9-DF669E5C2A4C.jpeg
    53EBC249-50F0-4236-A1B9-DF669E5C2A4C.jpeg (59.63 KiB) Viewed 2928 times
    May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
    I am the man from Nantucket.
    “Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
    When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
    ol bob

Post by ol bob »

Hognutz wrote: May 6th, 2022, 1:46 pm 53EBC249-50F0-4236-A1B9-DF669E5C2A4C.jpeg
    Hate to say it but, Ive been there. :oops:
    A wise old owl sat in a mighty oak , The more he saw the less he spoke, The less he spoke the more he heard, Why can't everyone be like this wise Ol bird
    Hognutz
    Gobbler Nation
    Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Welcome to GN!!
    Sound advice, Bob. Any 20ga. of your liking and Foxtrot TSS ammo. (Brice (Hoobilly) can fix you up). You are good to go.
    If recoil is a problem, go with a gas operated auto.
    BTW. Where are you in Wi?
    franklin7x57

Post by franklin7x57 »

I got a 20 ga for some weight savings but used a 12 gauge for deer (we have to use buckshot here) and turkey. Stay away from the 3.5" shells and recoil isn't bad in 12 gauge. The 12 gauge MAYBE more versatile for you? Also you can use lead if you want.
    Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

TSS is expensive, but Ol Bob is recommending what may be the most popular turkey set up on the internet boards, and possibly in the woods. You can do it well with a 12 gauge but find your favored 20 gauge and buy some TSS shot in #9. Sight it in close up with some cheap loads and do a 40 yard check with TSS and go hunting.
    Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
    Lacire

Post by Lacire »

ol bob wrote: May 6th, 2022, 1:14 pm 835 s the most brutal gun ever made, even tho they work well. If I was just starting out today I would get a 20 ga. with #9 TSS and never look back. 15/8 oz of TSS #9s will kill a turkey about twice as far as you should ever shoot a one.
    I would recommend the same setup, it’s what I’m using and it works. The TSS shells are expensive at approximately $10.00 each but, if you and your gun are on it usually only takes one.
    Spuriosity
    Gobbler Nation
    Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Absolutely agree with the above advice about getting a 20 ga and using TSS. Load your own TSS for about half that $10/shell price. If you really want low recoil, by all means get a gas powered autoloader. The 20 gauge with 1&5/8 oz TSS 9s will pattern and penetrate better than any 3.5" lead load from an 835 with half the recoil.
    Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

If it is just a turkey gun go with a 20ga, If you want an all around gun buy the 12ga, shoot the foxtrot mini twister load. In my opinion anything heavier than 1 5/8th oz loads is a waste of expensive shot!

Not a fan of a pistol grip personally, but that is all pure preference!
    Samm4770
    Gobbler Nation
    Gobbler Nation

Post by Samm4770 »

20 gauge all the way for a turkey gun with tss. Get with foxtrot and never look back
    paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

Strongly recommend the 20 as well, but tone that payload down a touch further with the Hot Rod load from Brice. That's 1 3/8oz. of 9s and with it I'm able to put 300+ in a 10" ring at a lasered 40 yards with that load.
    "Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
    FireHunter551

Post by FireHunter551 »

Hognutz wrote: May 6th, 2022, 1:46 pm 53EBC249-50F0-4236-A1B9-DF669E5C2A4C.jpeg
    LMAO... thats good! I must have come across at least a half dozen uses 835's at my local gun shops. I know why lol
    FireHunter551

Post by FireHunter551 »

Hognutz wrote: May 6th, 2022, 3:02 pm BTW. Where are you in Wi?
    I live in Rockford, IL right now. Ive mostly Deer hunted Readstown, WI. This year, I'm hunting my buddy's newly acquired 50 acres 1 mile East of Ft McCoy... North of Tomah. I think its a Grant address. Its out first year trying to get to know the land. Well see how it goes.
    Hognutz
    Gobbler Nation
    Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Been through Readstown many times on my way to Viroqua. I've got a cousin over there.
    Good luck on your adventures.
    KyKRAZEE

Post by KyKRAZEE »

All great, sound advice about the 20 gauge & TSS ammo. You can go with a single shot Stevens 301, a pump , or any one of a couple dozen semi-auto shotguns. Someone else on here already gave the advice if you go with the 12 gauge to steer clear of 3.5" shells...more great advice , especially if you're going to be using TSS. Good luck & keep us apprised of what you decide!!!
    BIG BLUE NATION FOREVER

Return to “Big Bore”