Single shot 12 gauge

Talk about 10 12 & 16 gauge shotguns here.
253shotgunner

Single shot 12 gauge

Post by 253shotgunner »

What is the lightest single shot 12 gauge that you can easily install a red dot sight? Obviously for turkey hunting. Thanks, 253sg
gaswamp

Re: Single shot 12 gauge

Post by gaswamp »

wud imagine the stevens 301 in 12 wud b fairly light
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I don't think there is a single-shot 12 gauge lighter than the Yildiz TK12. Mine weighs 4.25 lbs. I took advantage of the solid rib to mount a Skinner Peep and Marble post, but there is no reason a red dot can't be mounted. Gil
gaswamp

Post by gaswamp »

GLS wrote: May 3rd, 2022, 6:30 pm I don't think there is a single-shot 12 gauge lighter than the Yildiz TK12. Mine weighs 4.25 lbs. I took advantage of the solid rib to mount a Skinner Peep and Marble post, but there is no reason a red dot can't be mounted. Gil
I think I wud b sticking to 2 3/4 in that
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Joe, with advances in shoulder replacement procedures, 3" is a possibility. However, I agree with your assessment of using 2.75" only. I use 1 3/8 oz. If I had a tested 1.25 oz., load I'd use it instead. Gil
patternfreak

Post by patternfreak »

Purely asking this out of stupidity, but if you are shooting a reduced load out of a 12ga, why not shoot a sub gauge gun?

I can shoot 1-3/8oz out of my 28ga easily. Are you seeing better patterns with reduced loads in large bores than equal loads in smaller bores?
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Here's the deal regarding shooting the TK12. Other than my TK36 .410 at 3.25 lbs, I am not aware of a lighter gun. My 20 ga. Baikal single-shot weighs 5.5 lbs. My Savage 220 20 ga., 5 lbs. My Model 412 Beretta, 4 lbs. , 13 oz. I do a lot of mountain biking and hiking when I hunt turkeys. I don't like carrying heavier guns. The older I become, I go as light as I can with gear and gun. Gil
253shotgunner

Post by 253shotgunner »

Good question. It is purely personal preference. I want a light weight single shot for my run&gun style of turkey hunting. When I hunt with my buddy, I like to hunt with the same gauge that he uses, which is 12 gauge. 253sg
patternfreak wrote: May 5th, 2022, 1:08 pm Purely asking this out of stupidity, but if you are shooting a reduced load out of a 12ga, why not shoot a sub gauge gun?

I can shoot 1-3/8oz out of my 28ga easily. Are you seeing better patterns with reduced loads in large bores than equal loads in smaller bores?
253shotgunner

Post by 253shotgunner »

Yildiz TK12 checks all my boxes for what I am looking for. I don't live near an Academy store so I will check gunbroker every once in awhile. Thanks, 253sg
GLS wrote: May 5th, 2022, 2:22 pm Here's the deal regarding shooting the TK12. Other than my TK36 .410 at 3.25 lbs, I am not aware of a lighter gun. My 20 ga. Baikal single-shot weighs 5.5 lbs. My Savage 220 20 ga., 5 lbs. My Model 412 Beretta, 4 lbs. , 13 oz. I do a lot of mountain biking and hiking when I hunt turkeys. I don't like carrying heavier guns. The older I become, I go as light as I can with gear and gun. Gil
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

Charles Daly 101 is 5lbs, comes optic ready and Mossy Oak.
alpha burnt

Post by alpha burnt »

I bought a Charles Daly 101 Turkey in .410 this year. I am liking it. Looks like 12 has similar features. Fully coated metal in FDE, a definite plus. Rail for mounting optic. Good thing, my fiber optic bead appears to have been installed off top dead center. If 12 is like 410, go ahead and buy an Indian Creek choke tube. I picked up 100 pellet count in 10” at 40.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

The Charles Daly 101 has appeal. All steel construction probably adds a bit of weight compared with the Yildiz which has an anodized alloy action with steel inserts at the breech end of the action. Be curious as to the weight as established by a digital scale. Sometimes weight is either under or overstated by the gunmaker. The .410 is reportedly 5 lbs. It seems it would be lighter than that IF it is a scaled down action. If not scaled down, and the 12 ga. frame is used in the .410, the chamber walls of the .410 would have to be thicker (and heavier) to center the primer on the transfer bar's firing pin as was done on the old Savage 220 series where my .410 is a pound heavier than the 20 gauge. Midland makes an all steel single shot which looks a lot like the Daly. The folding action design has been around for decades. I don't know who invented the folder, but I have a Beretta folder, the M412, in 20 gauge which was made in the mid 1950s. I don't see the safety on the Daly. Is tang or on the trigger guard? The pre-mounted optics rail requires a Picatinny mount on the optics which raises the red dot or scope higher than some care for. I've seen where some replace the rail with a low base mount such as made by Sumtoy and others. The coatings on the Daly are more desirable than bluing as much for corrosion resistance as appearance. Having factory choke threading is also a plus. The Yildiz requires threading. The Yildiz is highly corrosion resistant as well. It relies on anodization on the alloy action and the barrel isn't blued, but is coated with black satin textured chrome. I've had my Yildiz .410 since 2012, In the past few years there have been several mfgs. making .410s for turkeys, Rossi and Stevens come to mind, and now Daly. All of this is due to the popular use of TSS. It's good to have these low cost turkey lethal single-shots available for all. Gil
alpha burnt

Post by alpha burnt »

Re: 410 Daly, cross bolt safety on trigger guard. Has picatinny rail supplied. Weight w Burris FF3 is 4lbs 13 oz.
henry02

Post by henry02 »

GLS wrote: May 3rd, 2022, 6:30 pm I don't think there is a single-shot 12 gauge lighter than the Yildiz TK12. Mine weighs 4.25 lbs. I took advantage of the solid rib to mount a Skinner Peep and Marble post, but there is no reason a red dot can't be mounted. Gil
I put together a new bike last year and used it on my deer hunt. Taking it to Nebraska this week for turkeys as well. I find not only is it a great way to get further in, much faster; its also good exercise, and it's fun. I got the bike from here, with mid-grade Shimano components and rock Shox. I didn't do much to it, took it apart to see how it works :-) I wanna know How are you guys carrying your bows? the PVC tube works, but it creates a lot of overhang on the back of the trailer that can be cumbersome. I've thought about some sort of padded scabbard-type thing to carry it strung. Flat tires!!!
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

henry02 wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 1:13 am
I put together a new bike last year and used it on my deer hunt. Taking it to Nebraska this week for turkeys as well. I find not only is it a great way to get further in, much faster; its also good exercise, and it's fun. I got the bike from here, with mid-grade Shimano components and rock Shox. I didn't do much to it, took it apart to see how it works :-) I wanna know How are you guys carrying your bows? the PVC tube works, but it creates a lot of overhang on the back of the trailer that can be cumbersome. I've thought about some sort of padded scabbard-type thing to carry it strung. Flat tires!!!
Couldn't agree with you more about using a bike turkey hunting. Here's my old rigged out Cannondale. Gear and turkey can ride in crate. I now prefer shoulder slinging gun to better keep red dot from jarring when carrying a gun rigged with a red dot. About a dozen years ago it replaced my old steel framed Schwinn hardtail MTB. Gil
=https:/[URL/lunapic.com]Image[/URL]
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

Use a mountain bike during spring season too, and like Gil I carry my single shot cross shoulder with the sling.

Can cover a lot more ground on a bike in 30-40 minutes round trip vs. investing 2+ hours walking in from the gate and back. Hunting off the bike I'm going light - trumpet or Jordan style, a mouth call, a long box and a foam pad. Water bottle rides on the frame.

Other add-ons...small pack under the seat carries everything I need to fix a broken chain or fix a flat and fill it. Hand pump and spare tube on frame as a backup. And wireless trip odometer / speedometer to measure distances, but Onx these days solves that problem.

The mud flaps are one of the best upgrades I made, keeps my pant legs dry.

"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

In my crate, I carry a thermos, lunch, a small foldable stool for sitting on while killing time, and a large construction grade plastic bag that I'll roll out and take naps on. I like to hunt at trail's end which is 3.5 miles from the gate. I have also carried a small folding limb saw to keep the trail clear on the way back to the truck. I carry a wading staff across the handlebar gun rests. I learned the hard way why a staff is useful wading swamps. I tripped on a submerged limb and went to my knees in early spring swamp which put cold water up to places not normally submerged in ice cold water. Gil

Return to “Big Bore”