Pulling Birds

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
JerseyGobbler

Pulling Birds

Post by JerseyGobbler »

I have a small piece of public that I will be hunting tomorrow morning (opening day). This morning I went out to see where the birds were roosting and flying down. Well I believed them to be on top of this ridge, where there are private fields, and I’ve seen them in the past.

So this morning I find them roosting right on top of a stream that separates the public from the other side of private. I hung around with my binos to see where they pitched down. Of course they pitched to the private, and didn’t stay on the public. Where they pitched down is thick woods, with a small field in the center. There was probably a dozen birds, which included a couple gobblers that were strutting right in the trees.

Anyway, where I’m at on the public, is pretty thick, with a strip of trees that have recently been planted for remediation, with mulch surrounding the fresh trees. It creates some what of an opening with a small open natural strip before that.

My game plan is to get in super early, and get near the small strip of open hardwoods next to the stream. I plan on doing some tree yelps and doing a fly down before the first hen hits the ground. This is my plan to pull them to the public (obviously if they play the same game tonight). Any thoughts or tips?
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Pulling Birds

Post by spider316 »

Yep, throw some cash at the Private landowner and enjoy ! Oh and bring a kid with you when you approach them :thumbup:
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
JerseyGobbler

Post by JerseyGobbler »

spider316 wrote: April 24th, 2022, 3:31 pm Yep, throw some cash at the Private landowner and enjoy ! Oh and bring a kid with you when you approach them :thumbup:
Unfortunately, it’s owned by Texaco and they haven’t responded to the letters sent to tax address in Texas.
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

JerseyGobbler wrote: April 24th, 2022, 6:48 pm
spider316 wrote: April 24th, 2022, 3:31 pm Yep, throw some cash at the Private landowner and enjoy ! Oh and bring a kid with you when you approach them :thumbup:
Unfortunately, it’s owned by Texaco and they haven’t responded to the letters sent to tax address in Texas.
Check access eligibility, obviously it's an energy company. The internet is a great access tool also, emails, websites, local contacts, neighboring properties, tax breaks for open space recreational use, conservational easements ? I'm rooting for you, trust me !
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !

Return to “Hunt Strategies”