Vortex Venom Out of Adjustments?

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
doc1059

Vortex Venom Out of Adjustments?

Post by doc1059 »

Anyone ever have an issue with a Vortex Venom running out of adjustments. Put a Venom on a Meadow Creek Mount on my daughters 20 gauge. Shot extremely low at 15 yards, made numerous adjustments and eventually got to a point where I met a lot of resistance trying to move the pattern up. Have several FF3's and another Venom and never encountered this before. Waiting on Vortex Customer service.
Skimerhorn

Re: Vortex Venom Out of Adjustments?

Post by Skimerhorn »

I've had the same issue. Use the screw for elevation and take it all the way up a d down twice. Sounds crazy but that worked on one of mine. The other I took the mount base loose and cut straps of soda can I to shims and put under there to get it up before I tightened it backup then it should get the front down. Hope this helps
Grassypond

Post by Grassypond »

Exact same thing happened to me today trying to pattern my M2 20ga. Shooting low at 20 yards and hit a wall trying to move it higher. Probably gonna call vortex in the morning and see what they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Vortex is notorious for this

Like previous stated
Run the elevation all the way up and down several times

This can help on some

Otherwise send it back for a replacement. Sell it and buy a Burris FF3 or FF4
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
MeadowCreekMounts

Post by MeadowCreekMounts »

I'll chime in too, like said above, adjust it all the way back the other way, then it should get on track, no need to call Vortex.
Grassypond

Post by Grassypond »

I gave them a call this morning. Based on how it was acting, they recommended sending it back in to get taken care of. Probably take a couple weeks before I get it back but I’ve got a couple 410s I’m gonna work on in the meantime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MeadowCreekMounts

Post by MeadowCreekMounts »

Grassypond did adjusting the elevation back the other way, then back to where you were not fix it? Luckily even the Vortex techs are recommending this to people now. It sounds like if they didn't have you try that then you got the wrong person on the phone. This is VERY common with Vortex, the person you talked to should have known about it. There's a good chance the one they send you does the same thing. I haven't seen anyone whose issue wasn't fixed by backing it out, then the other way, but have had plenty of people get replacements that do the same thing.
Jbird22

Post by Jbird22 »

hoobilly wrote: March 6th, 2022, 11:04 pm Vortex is notorious for this

Like previous stated
Run the elevation all the way up and down several times

This can help on some

Otherwise send it back for a replacement. Sell it and buy a Burris FF3 or FF4
Or a FF2 if you're like me and prefer simplicity. I just got my 3rd one in yesterday.
Contact Info - 4XWADSLITTER@GMAIL.COM
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

EBay sells shim’s that work great for that problem.
doc1059

Post by doc1059 »

Response from Vortex below:

There could be a few factors at play. To confirm, we recommend only 12 inch/lbs with Loc-Tite or 15 inch/lbs dry of torque to secure the red dot to the mounting base. If over torqued it can affect the internal components, which would potentially limit your travel and ability to sight in your optic.

To ensure the optic is functioning as it should I would recommend running the optic’s windage adjustment all the way to the left and then the right. I would do the same with the elevation to ensure there is not a burr on the internals affecting your ability to dial your elevation adjustment higher. The optic has 130 MOA of total travel, so run the elevation first 65 MOA from either direction to get it close to the optical center. For the windage, it has 100 MOA, so 50 from either direction would get you back to the center. This also helps to confirm you're getting the full travel of the optic. You should have slightly over 4 rotations of the elevation and just over 3 for the windage dials.

If that does not work, it is likely a situation where you have ran out of elevation adjustment based on the unique alignment of your firearm. This can happen due to machining tolerances on a wide variety of firearms, so it is not uncommon. I personally had a similar situation with a Mossberg 835 and our Venom Red Dot I use for turkey hunting. In a perfect world, every firearm would be square, but that is never the case. You could have two of the same exact firearms a serial number apart off the production line and they will zero with the same exact make/model red dot different. This is why optics have gross windage and elevation adjustments to accommodate the firearm, but some may need more adjustment.

The final solution would be picking up a 1 degree shim from UM Tactical. This shim would sit between your optic and the base. It would operate in the the same fashion as a long range shooter utilize a 20 MOA picatinny rail to gain elevation adjustment. This shim would give you approximately 60 MOA of elevation adjustment, which would instantly raise your POI roughly 15 inches at 25 yards, 30 inches at 50 yards getting you back on target.

Check it out here: https://www.umtactical.com/store/p5/Del ... ptics.html
EdgesUp2U

Post by EdgesUp2U »

Do you work for Vortex? You pitch the same story. This is not a problem with other manufacturers. Why is it just Vortex Venom? If this is such a regular thing why would they not include the shim?
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

A company that makes the quality of binoculars and rifle scopes that Vortex does should recall every venom and not ship out another till this is no longer a problem. Seriously? Shims to make up for adjustment? I have 2 Burris FF3s and a FF2, all trouble free. I even have a sightmark mini that has never failed. Vortex can do better than recommending shims.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Turkinator wrote: June 12th, 2022, 8:59 am A company that makes the quality of binoculars and rifle scopes that Vortex does should recall every venom and not ship out another till this is no longer a problem. Seriously? Shims to make up for adjustment? I have 2 Burris FF3s and a FF2, all trouble free. I even have a sightmark mini that has never failed. Vortex can do better than recommending shims.
The only 2 I ever owned adjusted ok. But they wouldn’t stay in adjustment. Had them replaced via their forever warranty and sold them so fast it would make your head spin. From then on it was Burris
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Jbird22

Post by Jbird22 »

Turkinator wrote: June 12th, 2022, 8:59 am A company that makes the quality of binoculars and rifle scopes that Vortex does should recall every venom and not ship out another till this is no longer a problem. Seriously? Shims to make up for adjustment? I have 2 Burris FF3s and a FF2, all trouble free. I even have a sightmark mini that has never failed. Vortex can do better than recommending shims.
Spot on! I wouldn't accept having to shim a rifle scope and a red dot is no different as far as I'm concerned.
Contact Info - 4XWADSLITTER@GMAIL.COM
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

I received a free shim from Vortex, but decided to remove my Meadow Creek mount on the rib and remount it. When I removed the mount I could see where the Meadow Creek was very slightly impinging on the curved vent rib bracket which apparently was impacting my POA. I can't say enough good things about the Technical Customer Service at Vortex who requested that I call them after making my adjustments and going to the range and I didn't need to utilize the shim after all. I've got a whole box of plastic and metal shims of various thicknesses which I have utilized on rifle scopes for the last 50 years. With that said their utilization has dropped off significantly w/ the new generation of laser/CNC fabricated scope rings and mounts. I still occasionally get a scope job with older rings which have not been or were improperly lapped which necessitates the use of shims, and when utilized properly by someone who knows what they are doing, shims can totally rectify a myriad of scope mounting problems. I recently had to shim a pistol w/ a FF 3 on the advice of a gunsmith friend who had encountered a similar problem w/ pistols from the same manufacturer with close serial numbers.

Return to “Gun Talk”