Savage 301t questions

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Trooper836

Savage 301t questions

Post by Trooper836 »

First of all, hello, I am new here. Long time turkey hunter. I have been successful over the years and I have been blessed to harvest turkeys with shotguns, compound bows and my ultimate goal, with a recurve. Looks like a lot of good information here!

I have 2 young children and my 8 year old girl is ready to go turkey hunting. I have been looking at several options but don't want to spend a fortune. The savage 301t looks to be a good option, but I am certain the length of pull is excessive for her. I have called Savage to see if I could buy the youth stock. I was I formed that the gun is made overseas and that they do not have any parts. Why on earth Savage isn't getting parts also is beyond me. They do not offer a turkey version in the youth configuration.

The 301 series looks like a copy of an H&R, New frame. I was wondering if anyone has checked to see if a stock from the H&R, NEF, will fit the 301 frame. I found that someone had discovered that the barrels would interchange. If no one has checked, could someone possibly go through the trouble of checking that if they have access to both? That information would be extremely helpful.

Thanks
southpaw

Re: Savage 301t questions

Post by southpaw »

The back of the receiver on the savage is flat where as the h&r is is rounded. Not saying it wouldn't work if you modified it in some way. The bolt for the h&r is also bigger.
Gmed

Post by Gmed »

They make the 301 in a compact 20 or 410 gauge version that comes with a modified choke tube. Be cheaper to buy it and just have drilled and tapped for red dot than buy a whole stock - even if they had em. The compact has a 22” barrel rather than the gangly 26” they put on 301 turkey models. Wish my 301 had the 22” barrel but I bought it used so I wasn’t choosy. It comes with the youth stock (that you could add a slip on recoil pad to to lengthen pull as they grow) and is flat black. Stock tape or a rattle can camo - if you wanted to- and you are ready to hunt

https://battlehawkarmory.com/product/st ... right-hand

https://battlehawkarmory.com/product/st ... right-hand
Trooper836

Post by Trooper836 »

Thanks for the replies.
hillbillyfab

Post by hillbillyfab »

Here's my 301 non turkey 20 gauge. I put this adjustable stock on it, meant for an H&R shotgun. You can see how the stock meets the receiver. It's far from ideal, but it works to my liking.
Attachments
IMG-0239.jpg
IMG-0238.jpg
Trooper836

Post by Trooper836 »

Thanks, I have started modifying an H&R stock to fit.
duckslut

Post by duckslut »

I took care of mine with some machining I love it.
Attachments
IMG_20220420_181012.jpg
IMG_20220420_175532.jpg

Return to “Gun Talk”