patternmaster

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
gris 1971

patternmaster

Post by gris 1971 »

Has anyone ever used a patternmaster turkey choke .565 in a winchester sx4 20ga I have heard good things about them but Im not sure. Im shooting winchester xx 5 shot shell the ckoke tubes are very expensive I willing to spend the money if it patterns good.I will probably not be shooting over 40yrds
Dtrkyman

Re: patternmaster

Post by Dtrkyman »

If you already have a turkey choke spend the money on TSS, those Winchesters get sparse patterns quick, 35 is already looking pretty thin from my experience with them.

Look up Blue Collar Outdoors on youtube, they pattern with those choke constantly!
Mhallman

Post by Mhallman »

Dtrkyman, what do you mean by the patterns getting sparse quick? Are the chrome lined barrels not holding up??
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Dtrkyman wrote: March 2nd, 2022, 9:29 pm If you already have a turkey choke spend the money on TSS, those Winchesters get sparse patterns quick, 35 is already looking pretty thin from my experience with them.

Look up Blue Collar Outdoors on youtube, they pattern with those choke constantly!
Them guys are a joke and don’t know how to pattern period
Totally biased
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Mhallman wrote: April 16th, 2022, 6:07 am Dtrkyman, what do you mean by the patterns getting sparse quick? Are the chrome lined barrels not holding up??
What he means is the pattern from 30-35 yards drops dramatically. Probably not a 40 yard load

Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

There's nothing wrong with lead, but if you want to shoot it from a 20, plan on a 30 yard gun.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

Hobbes_mobile wrote: April 16th, 2022, 1:22 pm There's nothing wrong with lead, but if you want to shoot it from a 20, plan on a 30 yard gun.
This ^^^^^^ anything farther and you’re counting on a lucky pellet to save the day
Riverrat

Post by Riverrat »

hoobilly wrote: April 16th, 2022, 9:26 am
Dtrkyman wrote: March 2nd, 2022, 9:29 pm If you already have a turkey choke spend the money on TSS, those Winchesters get sparse patterns quick, 35 is already looking pretty thin from my experience with them.

Them guys are a joke and don’t know how to pattern period
Totally biased
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wasn't born, I was hatched!!!!!!!!!!!! and raised in Tennessee.
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

Patterning is not too complicated, shoot at a target and look at the holes. Couple of them may not ne all there but who is?
2nd100

Post by 2nd100 »

The patternmaster in MY M2 is pretty strong . 360's so we run it in Crashes ( now mine also ... ) and it done 345 ish . That's strong in anybodys book . This is with TSS #9 1 5=8 oz load .
Back when I shot lead , before longbeards 35 yds was a stretch for a 20 . Any lead load at 40 is praying for a golden pellet . We started with hevi #7 and went to Federal heviweight #7 and killed alot if turkeys... shoot I killed @ 6 slams with the hevi's and Mostky Heviweight's .
But always considered I may be a lil underguned out west with the lil 20 ...
Now days I tote a 410 alot and don't feel underguned with TSS . AND a 20 is like a howitzer nowadays! But if you can pass on a 35 yard turkey by all means shoot lead . That's gona be up to you to decide .
10th Legion legionare !
RBMTDJager

Post by RBMTDJager »

Over the last two years, have been watching HOURS of turkey specific shotgun patterning videos on YouTube and I do not exaggerate 0.010% when I say 90% or more do it absolutely wrong in #1- that 90%+ of them only use much to small of either a home made or commercial target of a turkeys head and neck to pattern that are 8x11 or at best 8x14 on which again IMO are much MUCH to small and capture less than 50% and at longer ranges, closer to only 10-20% of their entire pattern and yields essentially useless information.
And #2 90% shoot off hand or shoot their guns without them being adequately supported to yield optimal patterning data.

In the last 25+ years I have fired well in excess of 300 combined dedicated 12ga 2.75", 3" and 3.5" turkeys shells to determine both my four different dedicated turkey guns POI and which shell/choke combo best patterns from each. I admit when I first tried to pattern my gun a 12ga 3" 870 Express, I also used targets much to small to yield useful data. Then I read a great article about patterning your waterfowl gun and loads and thought that would work great for my turkey gun and loads. Then some time after read in IIRC Turkey and Turkey Hunting how and why to properly Patten and then zero your turkey gun and I have done it that way ever since.

I always did patterned my turkey gun shooting well supported from a bench as I knew from all my rifle shooting that shooting off-hand or poorly supported has little chance to yield optimal accuracy results. I was always able to get a near endless supply of at least 3'x3' or larger pieces of cardboard from my friend courtesy of his place of employment but now I use 3'x3' sections of brown construction paper I cut and mark accordingly. I wish I could find a roll of 4'x4' paper but 3'x3' has worked well enough.

These YouTubers who use commercial hit & see turkey targets or similar sized less under 18"x18" targets are in my opinion a complete waste of time, shells and money and only work if your gun is patterning good enough without needing to adjust your guns POA to it's POI. But in terms of giving you the level of information you need to find the best load and choke combination then adjust your guns POI to match your POA and optimize your guns performance any target under 3'x3' can not give that information and as I previously said to use a target smaller than 3'x3' that can catch at least 90-95% of your pattern is IMO a complete waste of ammo money and time.

I won't even begin to discuss how much of a wait of time and how pointless it is to do a pattern comparison between a 12ga 3.5" 2oz load of #5 shot and a 12ga 3" 2oz load of #9 TSS.
KyKRAZEE

Post by KyKRAZEE »

RBMTDJager wrote: April 26th, 2022, 12:39 pm Over the last two years, have been watching HOURS of turkey specific shotgun patterning videos on YouTube and I do not exaggerate 0.010% when I say 90% or more do it absolutely wrong in #1- that 90%+ of them only use much to small of either a home made or commercial target of a turkeys head and neck to pattern that are 8x11 or at best 8x14 on which again IMO are much MUCH to small and capture less than 50% and at longer ranges, closer to only 10-20% of their entire pattern and yields essentially useless information.
And #2 90% shoot off hand or shoot their guns without them being adequately supported to yield optimal patterning data.

In the last 25+ years I have fired well in excess of 300 combined dedicated 12ga 2.75", 3" and 3.5" turkeys shells to determine both my four different dedicated turkey guns POI and which shell/choke combo best patterns from each. I admit when I first tried to pattern my gun a 12ga 3" 870 Express, I also used targets much to small to yield useful data. Then I read a great article about patterning your waterfowl gun and loads and thought that would work great for my turkey gun and loads. Then some time after read in IIRC Turkey and Turkey Hunting how and why to properly Patten and then zero your turkey gun and I have done it that way ever since.

I always did patterned my turkey gun shooting well supported from a bench as I knew from all my rifle shooting that shooting off-hand or poorly supported has little chance to yield optimal accuracy results. I was always able to get a near endless supply of at least 3'x3' or larger pieces of cardboard from my friend courtesy of his place of employment but now I use 3'x3' sections of brown construction paper I cut and mark accordingly. I wish I could find a roll of 4'x4' paper but 3'x3' has worked well enough.

These YouTubers who use commercial hit & see turkey targets or similar sized less under 18"x18" targets are in my opinion a complete waste of time, shells and money and only work if your gun is patterning good enough without needing to adjust your guns POA to it's POI. But in terms of giving you the level of information you need to find the best load and choke combination then adjust your guns POI to match your POA and optimize your guns performance any target under 3'x3' can not give that information and as I previously said to use a target smaller than 3'x3' that can catch at least 90-95% of your pattern is IMO a complete waste of ammo money and time.

I won't even begin to discuss how much of a wait of time and how pointless it is to do a pattern comparison between a 12ga 3.5" 2oz load of #5 shot and a 12ga 3" 2oz load of #9 TSS.
100000000000000% CORRECT!!!!
BIG BLUE NATION FOREVER
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

RBMTDJager wrote: April 26th, 2022, 12:39 pm .

These YouTubers who use commercial hit & see turkey targets or similar sized less under 18"x18" targets are in my opinion a complete waste of time, shells and money and only work if your gun is patterning good enough without needing to adjust your guns POA to it's POI.
Spot on

patternfreak

Post by patternfreak »

You guys are completely correct. The guys at Blue Collar Outdoors will post a video where their gun isn't even shooting true to aim and then say "Well it would have looked better if it was a little bit more to the left"

Like that is helpful information??? I want to know 10" pellet counts at 40 yards or some quantifiable way to determine the patterns. Not just "looks pretty good"
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

" I wish I could find a roll of 4'x4' paper but 3'x3' has worked well enough."

I order 48" Kraft paper from ULINE. They make it in several different weights. I like it much better than 36" construction paper for patterning.
Riverrat

Post by Riverrat »

patternfreak wrote: April 27th, 2022, 3:20 pm You guys are completely correct. The guys at Blue Collar Outdoors will post a video where their gun isn't even shooting true to aim and then say "Well it would have looked better if it was a little bit more to the left"

Like that is helpful information??? I want to know 10" pellet counts at 40 yards or some quantifiable way to determine the patterns. Not just "looks pretty good"
Some people just can’t help it!!!!!! They waste a lot tss and have no data on what choke or shell combo works. I watched their latest video and there calling to bird is the same as they pattern a gun. :turkeywave:
Wasn't born, I was hatched!!!!!!!!!!!! and raised in Tennessee.
squirrel_hunter

Post by squirrel_hunter »

I was looking at the patternmaster anaconda turkey choke in 20 ga .570 mobil. I thought about getting one to try in my wife's tristar raptor 20ga youth. She likes the longbeard xr 5 shot. I also would like to try it in my mossberg sa 20ga turkey gun.

Return to “Small Bore”