Day 58 of the 2021 Squirrel Season

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Day 58 of the 2021 Squirrel Season

Post by HunterGKS »

I had lunch with a couple of friends & we got to talking which resulted in a late arrival in the woods.
It was 67, sunny, & windy at 13:55 when I sat down. At 14:36, a fox started running through the woods
to my left & was soon followed by another. They disappeared into the undergrowth but I kept watching.
They eventual reappeared in from of me & ran into a small brush pile.

At 15:25, to my right I spotted a bushy coming down a tree stump that was about 20’ tall right on the
edge of the woods on the side of the trail. It hit the ground & was gone. At 15:35, 1 of the 2 I saw
earlier went up a tree right next to the brush pile. While I was watching for it or the other 1, 1 barked
in the trees to my right. It was probably the same 1 that came down the tree. I swear, it stuck its
thumbs in its ears, waggled its fingers, & stuck its tongue out giving me a raspberry!! I watched it
moving east, got up & got a little closer but it went up & became invisible.

I have never seen a totally black wool bear & did a little research:

“Woolly Bear Folklore: According to folklore, the amount of black on the woolly bear in autumn
varies proportionately with the severity of the coming winter in the locality where the caterpillar
is found. The longer the woolly bear’s black bands, the longer, colder, snowier, and more severe the
winter will be.”

It looks like we could be in for a baaaaaad winter!! I hope it holds off until at least after deer season.

001.jpg

Rain was predicted for late this afternoon & it was getting darker so I headed home at 16:45 with the
temp at 64. I hoped to get the lawn mowed before the rain & started as soon as I got home. It started
with a real light sprinkler with about 10 mins. To go & I kept at it. The last minutes of so it started to
rain a little harder but, at that point I didn’t care. The mower will be winterized & put away until next
spring.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Day 58 of the 2021 Squirrel Season

Post by soiltester »

Jorge, looks like the leaf fall and "good to great" huntin' fer' squirrels fer' this year, ain'ta' gonna happen :banghead:

Ya' sure did a great job on fillin' the pot, with what weather you had to work with :cheers:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

soiltester wrote: October 29th, 2021, 6:11 pm Jorge, looks like the leaf fall and "good to great" huntin' fer' squirrels fer' this year, ain'ta' gonna happen :banghead:

Ya' sure did a great job on fillin' the pot, with what weather you had to work with :cheers:
The dang leaves are still holding on & the weather has been all over the place. It was rainy all day today & it looks
like next week won't be much better. I did get 17 so we should be good for the spring.Thx.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Crazy fall for sure, as our leaves just started turning Thursday afternoon late after a light frost Thursday morning :shock:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”