Ben Lee Calls

Show and tell for call collectors.
Mo_turkey_hunter

Ben Lee Calls

Post by Mo_turkey_hunter »

Does anyone know anything about these? I stumbled upon this in my grandfathers old turkey hunting gear. It looks like a taco with a thin piece of slate in the middle. The back says:
“Ben Lee Calls Box 27 Coffeeville AL”Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Ben Lee Calls

Post by GLS »

Judging from its condition I'd say it must have been your granddad's favorite call and is a true family keepsake heirloom. The Super Hen came with either slate or aluminum surface in the groove to be used with a striker. A buddy won't go in the woods without his. The original design came from a maker in MS who hand carved it out of magnolia wood and it was lettered in primitive style. It was a far cruder earlier version of what Lee eventually made. If memory serves, it was made by a woman who continued to make them after her husband died. I had one many years ago and it is somewhere in the attic buried under the crap of time. I've also had the Super Hen in both aluminum and slate. They are fragile calls and best not be sat on.

Google Ben Rogers Lee if you aren't familiar with his name. A folksy, turkey hunting and contest calling legend from Alabama who introduced turkey hunting and calling to the masses across the country in the 1970s-80s. He mass produced a variety of calls from mouth calls, slates, boxes, scratch boxes, Super Hens et. al. He on one occasion appeared on a network late night talk show. Gil
whistlemaker

Post by whistlemaker »

If you can find someone with the book called Turkey Callmakers Past and Present by Earl Mickel All that information is in there. John
BrowningGuy88

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

He made top notch calls. I worked with his son for years and have a few of his calls.
Mo_turkey_hunter

Post by Mo_turkey_hunter »

Thank you for the information. My grandpa said he killed many turkeys in the ozark mountains of Arkansas using this call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hootie2

Post by Hootie2 »

Have 2 of them, great calls but dont sit on them.

Return to “Collectors Room”