Whats your favorite box call???

All about turkey calling + News, techniques, routines, advice, etc..
dustyroads

Whats your favorite box call???

Post by dustyroads »

Whats yalls favorite box call??? I have had several over the years and have never had one that I wanted to keep in my vest. I currently have a lynch that sounds decent but still leaves me wanting something more. What are your thoughts on a box call that still be purchased for hunting not collecting.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Whats your favorite box call???

Post by guesswho »

My favorite is from a member on here, Firedup! Wood combo I have no idea. All I know is it sounds like a hen turkey.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

I like boxes. Maybe too much LOL. Tons of great callmakers out there. Keep your eye on the classified sections of the turkey forums, quality / well tuned box calls coming up for sale all the time. Personally, I stay away from production boxes.
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
cutt down

Post by cutt down »

Mike Robare is my current favorite. Al Shoemaker makes a great box as well as David Halloran. Snakewood over holly or purple heart over blue mahoe. I have a kwila over butternut from Shoemaker that sings too.
cutt down

Post by cutt down »

Check out the snakewood over walnut box by Chris Brumfiel on here. It sounds good. I don't have one if his but I like it.
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

Wendell Lancaster
firedup

Post by firedup »

Kind words Guesswho and thank you! I've got lucky a few times and made something worth having. I am gonna ramble abit (apology upfront) but I feel Dustyroads pain. How do I get ONE GOOD ONE thats worthy of vest time without buying 20 to get it??? No sales pitch here, just some words from a longtime callmaker and a turkeyhunter to consider. And good luck to ya! IT IS OUT THERE WAITING FOR YOU!

MANY MANY good solid callmakers out there who can get you into a good hunting call. At an affordable price point. You might find that a good solid hunting call with collectible value is more affordable than you think. I build calls because I know what I like and want to hunt with and so I share that by selling a few sometimes. I like custom calls because I / they can control quality and type of sound on a call by call basis. Wood combinations and other factors make a difference. Keep it simple. And time to properly tune a call. Its important (IMPORTANT!!). For me production calls CAN be great but all fall abit short in that the need to produce can push less than quality work (turkey sound) out the door to us the buyers. So I don't need to take the chance because there are better options. All that said I have heard a few lynches and such that are flat out turkey and some others .... firewood.

Some makers already mentioned, Jeff McKamey, Josh Farley, Jeff White, Tim Bullock, Tony Quarino, Spring Creek and I am missing many many more are out there with solid hunting calls and affordable. Most are on FB. With pics, video and sound files. Just do a search on turkey call. Google or ebay (contact seller). If they are quality (whoever it is) they will be happy to work with you to get the call YOU WANT. Turkey call makers are everywhere these days. There is probably one closer to you than you think and that means you can get your hands on it and run it before you buy.

Food for thought.
What is your budget? Know it and stick to it if it matters. Plenty of $ options out there.

KNOW what sound you like or want. Important!!! You want a good soft caller? A loud screaming locator? Raspier than a rusty barb wire fence? High and clear with just a touch of rasp? A good callmaker can get you what you like using wood combinations, ect. BUT IF YOU DON'T KNOW.... they cant help and you are buying in the dark again.

Go to sports shows or somewhere YOU can get your hands on that little gal and run the crap out of it! Some sporting shops will let you. ASK!!

And once you have an idea what you like, as PA said, keep your eyes on websites with hunting related classifieds. Good calls show up all the time. Sellers are most often turkeyhunters and will work with you.
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

Head Hunter (Neil Jacobs) Long Box butternut body and cedar lid. Hands down.
"You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?"- Bernadette Peters
coconut

Post by coconut »

I have 2 Quaker boy grand ol masters that sound best to me and the turkeys. They are the old ones not the new junk callers they make now. To me the box caller is the most effective caller every made.
Also I can’t understand why folks carry so many different calls with them. When you reach a certain level of experience with a caller the turkeys have no doubt that you are another turkey. The only thing that matters after that is getting yourself in the right position.
fmf

Post by fmf »

prarie game calls one way hen
gavobrown87

Post by gavobrown87 »

To my ear, Tony Reynolds makes a good box call. He’s local to me. Best (unsolicited) advice I can give is run as many different kinds before buying anything. It’s an instrument no different than a high end guitar; gotta find what works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hunt123hunt

Post by hunt123hunt »

Primo's Battleship Heart breaker been using it for years.
Tom Threetoes

Post by Tom Threetoes »

A "Kentucky Thunder" butternut long box made by John Meynard a retired minister from Eastern KY.. I also have a signed Doug Camp popular box I pretty fond of.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

1978 cedar box and lid by Neil Cost I bought from him directly for $25. Gil
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

GLS wrote: February 17th, 2021, 1:24 pm 1978 cedar box and lid by Neil Cost I bought from him directly for $25. Gil
Want to triple your money let me know
Double Naught Spy!
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

I have been carrying this Ron Clough, Close Calls, Thanks Giving call since 2002.
It was a personal call of Ron's that he let me have.It has brought a lot of birds
to the gun.
01.JPG
04.JPG
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

ol bob

Post by ol bob »

For the money you can't beat Wendell Lancaster, also he's a great guy to deal with.
A wise old owl sat in a mighty oak , The more he saw the less he spoke, The less he spoke the more he heard, Why can't everyone be like this wise Ol bird
turkyjoe

Post by turkyjoe »

Tom Loberc Tommy callers
Long box
Attachments
0217211647.jpg
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

I've got way too many box calls, many by well known award winning call makers, but an old "Old Boss Queen" all cedar one-sider by Terry Hall which I got in @ 1982 from Terry at the Georgia "Bass and Buck" show which he selected after running about a dozen calls, seems to always end up in my vest. The call which was purchased for $12 has talked to hundreds of gobblers and has been the demise for a bunch. I've got 8-10 of Terry's cedar calls in numerous configurations and if you find one, buy it!
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

My YellowHeart/black Limba Short Box Call Ed Terefencko made fer' me' :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I always mention my Firedup box call but have never posted pictures of it.
Attachments
3A823100-9814-49B4-A857-5AEB083C6290.jpeg
9245E9DA-1A10-48EE-819D-01CF68F11550.jpeg
Double Naught Spy!
Far2low

Post by Far2low »

Which ever lamar williams box I choose that morning
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

Here's a meat call. Snodgrass mini boat paddle call.

"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
Strutbuster935

Post by Strutbuster935 »

Rosewood over Teak Hen Box made by Chuck Anderson.
crow

Post by crow »

If using a box, about equal between a Snodgrass (Lightning Strike) boat paddle walnut/butternut and mini boat mulberry over elm.

Also a Billy Bush osage/butternut that is pure turkey

Return to “Calling & Competition Calling”