New Hunter New Property

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
new2turkey

New Hunter New Property

Post by new2turkey »

Hi All -

For the last few years my uncle--in-law has taken me turkey hunting and I absolutely love it, even though I only shot one turkey my third year.

Last deer season I'm telling my cousin how great turkey hunting is and he says I should hunt his farm - he hears gobbling every morning when he does chores.

:D :D :bounce: :bounce: :D :D

I sat in a blind from morning dark until night dark for four days without seeing a turkey.

:( :cry: :( :cry:

When I questioned the validity of my cousin's claim, he told me I was on the wrong side of the river.

SO........in 2020 I'm headed across the river. To ensure I'm putting my best foot forward, could I get some suggestions on places to setup?
20190928_181008.jpg
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: New Hunter New Property

Post by jsh909 »

In your all day sits did you hear birds and just not see them? Or did you not hear them either?

Best bet is always to locate a bird gobbling on the roost and then move on on him, rather than setting up blind. If you don't hear any, look for tracks and set up on travel paths they are using.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

Ditch the tent and go find the birds. Be there before first light, listen, and move towards the gobbling. Then sit next to a tree and call a little. Good things may happen.
I promise you that you will learn much more about turkey hunting if you get out of that blind. You will enjoy it more too.
Ultimate Predator
new2turkey

Post by new2turkey »

jsh909 wrote: September 29th, 2019, 6:56 am In your all day sits did you hear birds and just not see them? Or did you not hear them either?

Best bet is always to locate a bird gobbling on the roost and then move on on him, rather than setting up blind. If you don't hear any, look for tracks and set up on travel paths they are using.
I heard lots of gobbles. That's what kept me interested, for sure. I could even get some responses to calls, but apparently not enough to get them to cross the river.
I know, without scale and context, my map is impossible to comprehend, but that river is wide enough to require a swim across. I'll have to cross at a road bridge to the north and walk back south.
In the updated map below, the red arrow points to where I sat last year. Under a tree, back to the sw so I could see the field to my left and wood/river to my right.
I'm thinking the area circled in yellow is where the birds were? Seems to offer roosting and access to displaying area and food(alfalfa field).
20190929_062837.jpg
new2turkey

Post by new2turkey »

MKW wrote: September 29th, 2019, 8:59 am Ditch the tent and go find the birds. Be there before first light, listen, and move towards the gobbling. Then sit next to a tree and call a little. Good things may happen.
I promise you that you will learn much more about turkey hunting if you get out of that blind. You will enjoy it more too.
I've seen a lot about hunting that way, it's just not how I've done it the last few years so it seems I'd be adding another variable to the equasion.
Should I focus on trying to stay near the edge of that field? Will they be more inclined to roost near the creek that breaks off from the bigger river instead of the main water way?
I did see one hen multiple times, at least I assume it was the same girl, but she didn't seem to care that I was around at all. I have several pictures of her dusting and eating in the field.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Get yer' butt there a couple of weeks ahead for several staggered days and sit far enough away from where they gobble, to establish if they roost in the same trees nightly.
If they fly down constantly one way and feed off, then there's your plan of attack :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
new2turkey

Post by new2turkey »

soiltester wrote: September 29th, 2019, 10:44 am Get yer' butt there a couple of weeks ahead for several staggered days and sit far enough away from where they gobble, to establish if they roost in the same trees nightly.
If they fly down constantly one way and feed off, then there's your plan of attack :thumbup:
How far away is far enough? If I come in from the north and work all the way around the field to the south, then I'm probably 500yds looking back north across the field again. That assumes I can see a turkey that far even with binoculars. Sorry I keep harping on the field, but it seems like everything I read/watch indictates an agricultural are next to a wood line is where you'll find turkeys. And that's how my uncle-in-law sets up our blinds.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Most generally, that is the trend.
Before season you're just "scouting" and not trying to make them aware that you're there .. YOU ARE SCOUTING for the best morning set up. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I believe you're going to need to experience the "hard knocks of learning to turkey hunt" to find out :LMAO:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

Not only will you learn more, but You will kill more Turkey's by going to them instead of sitting in a blind trying to get them to you.

Get on their turf. They are more likely to slip up and make a mistake on their own turf than getting called at from across a river 400 yards away. I am not surprised at all that, if it's not part of the regular travel route, that they didn't cross the river. They have food, water, dirt, roosting trees, and without a doubt hens on their own side. They would have little reason to cross.
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

soiltester wrote: September 29th, 2019, 12:45 pm Most generally, that is the trend.
Before season you're just "scouting" and not trying to make them aware that you're there .. YOU ARE SCOUTING for the best morning set up. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I believe you're going to need to experience the "hard knocks of learning to turkey hunt" to find out :LMAO:
I might be willing to travel to help ease the pain of dealing with the Hard Knocks. I'll go first and show you, then your turn and I'll observe and see what you learned. I'd be willing to do that. :mrgreen:
The first time you call a bird in on your own, get ready to experience a possible Cardiac event. It's a disease you don't want to catch ! :thumbup:
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

MKW wrote: September 29th, 2019, 8:59 am Ditch the tent and go find the birds. Be there before first light, listen, and move towards the gobbling. Then sit next to a tree and call a little. Good things may happen.
What he said.
new2turkey

Post by new2turkey »

spider316 wrote: September 29th, 2019, 1:53 pm
soiltester wrote: September 29th, 2019, 12:45 pm Most generally, that is the trend.
I might be willing to travel to help ease the pain of dealing with the Hard Knocks. I'll go first and show you, then your turn and I'll observe and see what you learned. I'd be willing to do that. :mrgreen:
The first time you call a bird in on your own, get ready to experience a possible Cardiac event. It's a disease you don't want to catch ! :thumbup:
I shot my one and only in 2016 and I loved it. Had a half hour discussion with a tom and a jake. They came clear across a chunk of crp, across a ditch, and through a field with a couple rows of corn stocks in the middle. I was so excited when they got to the decoys I almost forgot to shoot! In general, the crp and field seemed flat as a pancake, but as those birds disappeared through the rolling hills I would almost lose it!
I'll definately scout this spring. I come from a whitetail family, so I get that part. Makes perfect sense. I have access to trail cams, so I'll research how to put those out for turkey.
Since these are midwest birds, is it fair to assume they'll want to come out to the field, versus staying hidden in the thick soupy woods?
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

new2turkey wrote: September 29th, 2019, 2:41 pm Since these are midwest birds, is it fair to assume they'll want to come out to the field, versus staying hidden in the thick soupy woods?
You may be suprised, I have killed almost every Turkey I have harvested in the woods. Public and private. In my experience you have the upper hand in the woods. Their visibility is limited when they are seeking you out, which can negate the need for decoys. However your visibility is limited as well. What state are you hunting?
new2turkey

Post by new2turkey »

jsh909 wrote: September 29th, 2019, 3:24 pm
new2turkey wrote: September 29th, 2019, 2:41 pm Since these are midwest birds, is it fair to assume they'll want to come out to the field, versus staying hidden in the thick soupy woods?
You may be suprised, I have killed almost every Turkey I have harvested in the woods. Public and private. In my experience you have the upper hand in the woods. Their visibility is limited when they are seeking you out, which can negate the need for decoys. However your visibility is limited as well. What state are you hunting?
I'm in Minnesota.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

How many acres?
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
new2turkey

Post by new2turkey »

hoobilly wrote: September 29th, 2019, 4:10 pm How many acres?
This field I keep referencing isn't much, less than 10.
The woods next to it is about the same or a bit more.
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

Sometimes it's best to sit a ways off and watch where turkeys go (travel routes) and where they end up mid morning. Then the next day be on the travel route it will make you seem like your a world champion caller. This way you will not disturb their roosting spot so you can hunt them again and again without pushing them off of the property. Just my 2cents I hunt one farm like that and can pick off every gobbler on the farm as long as I sit away from the roost.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

new2turkey wrote: September 29th, 2019, 4:47 pm
hoobilly wrote: September 29th, 2019, 4:10 pm How many acres?
This field I keep referencing isn't much, less than 10.
The woods next to it is about the same or a bit more.
Go in quiet and try not to spook them. Too much running around and they get spooky fast
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I'd go help your cousin do some chores a couple mornings.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
new2turkey

Post by new2turkey »

guesswho wrote: September 29th, 2019, 5:44 pm I'd go help your cousin do some chores a couple mornings.
Now you sound like my cousin! :lol:
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

Try to get as close to the gobbling turkeys as you can and call them the rest of the way. Start on the side of the river they are on.

Those birds gobble pretty early, you should be able to get pretty tight before it’s light enough for them to see you.

All the other terrain/habitat talk is secondary to getting close and the former involves too many factors to give you much advice on here, you just got to learn it.

Find some public ground close to get some more practice on.
new2turkey

Post by new2turkey »

287016276.jpg
We've got turkeys!!!
NTHEWILD

Post by NTHEWILD »

Turkeys are creatures of habit. If they have been using a field in the past, they will again. Like others have said, go to them. You aren't learning anything by waiting on them.
new2turkey

Post by new2turkey »

20200229_141912_resized_1.jpg
Woooohooo......lookin' good.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

You need to be on the other side of those tracks. :struttin: :D
Double Naught Spy!