Hal's 10ga TSS recipe/Rhode Island public land bird

Talk about 10 12 & 16 gauge shotguns here.
HartClemson99

Post by HartClemson99 »

Worked today in Rhode Island. 2.5 oz of #6s.
I wanted to shoot one with my 10ga and figured that since RI required #6s it was a good place to try it. According to my iphone I walked a total of 20 miles on Fri, Sat and Sun with that SP-10 over my shoulder and I think it will go back in retirement for a while. Rhode Island: check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
britton40

Post by britton40 »

Great Job Hart!
202P&Y

Re: Hal's 10ga TSS recipe/Rhode Island public land bird

Post by 202P&Y »

Nice! How'd that load pattern? Seems like waaaaaaaay overkill!
Proverbs 3:5-6
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

Congrats!
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
HartClemson99

Post by HartClemson99 »

202P&Y wrote:Nice! How'd that load pattern? Seems like waaaaaaaay overkill!
Not good at all with my Rhino .680 choke. I had <140 pellets in a 10" circle, but it was a good even 20" pattern. I have a Primos Jellyhead .695 I'm going to test this summer and open it up with some different TSS mixes. I misplaced the Primos choke last Sunday when I patterned it and I'm betting it will do much better. Unfortunately due to work commitments, I was unable to get time on the range this week after finding the Primos choke.

After I finished my 28ga and .410 slams a couple of weeks ago, I decided on trying to kill one with every gauge this season and I needed something to shoot straight 6s to be legal in RI. I figured the 10ga was up to bat. Although I wasn't pleased when counting pellets on paper, when I pulled the trigger, the bird flopped and Mission 10ga and Mission Rhode Island accomplished.
10ga.

Post by 10ga. »

My 10ga Brownings love a .720 constriction and I get avg. 475 in the 10 with a 2 3/4 oz. load of 8.5s shooting a terror choke. The factory x-full turkey choke gives me 400+ hits in the 10 at 40yds with 8.5s. I believe it is around a .725
Casey Napier

Post by Casey Napier »

Been messing with a project BPS 10 and getting 500 counts in the 10" out of my BPS with shortened barrel and Comp n Choke XXXFull. My coworker has an H+R 10 and screwed my CnC into his gun as he had it threaded for Tru-threads like my BPS and his was doing less than 400 with his Sumtoy but shot a 503 with the CnC.

Casey
Casey Napier

Post by Casey Napier »

That was with Apex 9's. 515 in 10" and 250 best I can remember in the 20". Got pictures but do not know how to post them.

Casey
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Casey Napier wrote: December 22nd, 2021, 7:40 pm That was with Apex 9's. 515 in 10" and 250 best I can remember in the 20". Got pictures but do not know how to post them.

Casey
Have you tried duplexing 8x9 ?
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
2nd100

Post by 2nd100 »

Once owned a SP 10 ! One of only 3 guns ive ever sold ..... Wouldn't pattern lead shot worth a crap , long before the aftermarket chokes came availible and boutique turkey loads ... All I had was Federal #6's copper plated in boxes of 25 . The dang thing wouldn't kill a turkey past 30 yards , but would a woodduck at 90 yds on the water and even farther flying !
It became the trade in on a Auto 5 back about 1989 .. Now that ol A5 was a dove , duck and turkey killer for a many years . Boy them was the good old days .
10th Legion legionare !
Casey Napier

Post by Casey Napier »

Never tried a duplex load in my BPS but have tried various lead and Federal HS 7's which I wouldn't even consider using to hunt with as various smaller gauges pattern better than those shells did and if I am going to pack the big 10 it is gonna have to perform better than anything smaller and lighter. I am fixin to start handloading for gun since I have finally rounded up components, and hope to see at least 500 in 10". In my opinion, if you get the 9's moving at 1000 FPS from bore the killing efficiency of the 9's will kill as farther than I would ever try to shoot a turkey so by reducing the amount of shot by going to a larger size just sounds counter productive in keeping maximum amount of shot in the 10" at what ever range JMO.

Casey
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Casey Napier wrote: December 23rd, 2021, 6:24 am Never tried a duplex load in my BPS but have tried various lead and Federal HS 7's which I wouldn't even consider using to hunt with as various smaller gauges pattern better than those shells did and if I am going to pack the big 10 it is gonna have to perform better than anything smaller and lighter. I am fixin to start handloading for gun since I have finally rounded up components, and hope to see at least 500 in 10". In my opinion, if you get the 9's moving at 1000 FPS from bore the killing efficiency of the 9's will kill as farther than I would ever try to shoot a turkey so by reducing the amount of shot by going to a larger size just sounds counter productive in keeping maximum amount of shot in the 10" at what ever range JMO.

Casey
Duplex can lead to a tighter pattern with more in the 10 in some cases. 500+ is just paper hole counting. I’ll personally take larger pellets and sacrifice pellet count and take speed over larger payloads.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Casey Napier

Post by Casey Napier »

Yes Sir, I have heard about the drafting effect from the larger shot being on top of the smaller. Might give it a try.

Casey
Casey Napier

Post by Casey Napier »

Fixin to start handloading for our guns because of the price of 10ga ammo. Finally got all the components gathered and may give the duplex a try.

Casey
Casey Napier

Post by Casey Napier »

Updated handloading information. Have not tried a duplex load yet because I only currently have 9's. I am shooting a 3oz load in a Browning BPS that I had barrel shortened to 21" and threaded for TruChoke. Comp n Choke did the barrel work so I had them include a XXXFull choke which appears to be a .695 constriction. I was getting 500 counts in the 10" backed off a grain of powder and 10" count went to 550 range, backed off one more grain and shot a 612 in 10" and over 300 in 20". My buddies SP10 23" barrel is shooting in the mid 500's with two more grains of powder and a Rhino Choke we think is a .685. Just our findings.
Shot trap has been a big plus!

Casey
Gar Commander

Post by Gar Commander »

How is the recoil on that 3 oz. load? I shoot Hal's 2.5 oz recipe in an H&R single barrel and I dont think I can stand any extra recoil! It does , however, kill everything you point it at to distances way out there.

Return to “Big Bore”