Mossberg SA-28ga .515 Trulock 8.5x9

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
Riverrat

Re: Mossberg SA-28ga .515 Trulock 8.5x9

Post by Riverrat »

dustyroads wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 11:42 pm
decoykrvr wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 9:02 pm There is a real difference between a naysayer and a realist. I spent a lot of time this spring working w/ a fairly new turkey hunter who had just purchased a Franchi Affinity 3 which we turned up and set up as a turkey gun. The guy was obsessed about high numbers in the 10" due to, too much internet, and I finally sold him on the efficacy of an even 20" pattern which we obtained w/ an 1 5/8 ounce load of 9.5's which was a viable turkey killing pattern out to 55 yards. What TSS will do at 40 yards in the 10" is impressive, but at some point, even for seasoned/knowledgeable shooters the loss of "wiggle room" w/ patterns which are too tight, becomes a handicap. I wish every gobbler stood stock still prior to the shot, but we all know that that's not reality.
I'd rather shoot 9s if I'm going to shoot anything bigger than a 28. I find that the larger shot seems to kill better, all things considered. A 8.5 x 9 duplex like river rat is shooting sounds appealing too, think I might give it a try!!
Yes sir you’re correct. I don’t hunt with anything smaller than 9 in a 28 ga or bigger gauge of gun. I shoot small shot to test with because it seems cool to count a astrometric amount of pellets.

My previous experience of shooting small shot in big gauges have resulted in a bunch of fliers
Wasn't born, I was hatched!!!!!!!!!!!! and raised in Tennessee.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

This is one of the interesting aspects of TSS, duplexing shot in some loads opens the pattern and in other combos actually tightens the pattern and reduces fliers. In many cases ,it can vary significantly by gun/choke, and must be evaluated/patterned w/ the individual shotgun.
Riverrat

Post by Riverrat »

decoykrvr wrote: June 4th, 2023, 12:06 am I've got a 20 gauge 50/50 duplex of 8's over 9 1/2's which has almost the same pellet count as a load of straight 9's. It's a killer load which has both the energy/knockdown and pellet density. My go to hunting load is a 50/50 of 9's over 9 1/2's which has yet to lose a gobbler and has killed a bunch of gobblers.
Quite impressive, Which load are you shooting? I might need to try it in my 28, do you think it will fit?
Wasn't born, I was hatched!!!!!!!!!!!! and raised in Tennessee.
patternfreak

Post by patternfreak »

I shot the 8.5X9 duplex in my 28ga this year and loved it, that is what I have settled on going forward. Mine doesn't do as high of a count in the 10" as yours but has a more even 20". Briley .520

Return to “Small Bore”