Question for TSS shooters/hunters

A place to discuss Hunting equipment and other related products.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Question for TSS shooters/hunters

Post by Turkinator »

9 this year. The farthest was 56yds. (Dips in the terrain give me fits) ranged it later. Closest was a sneaky one who made it in to less than 10, he never made it to 11. All with my 20ga 870. I can’t believe I left the Benelli home all season. That 21” barrel is the bomb!
1F5AE5B5-B552-4503-B07A-BEEF055F4850.jpeg
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

45 yards was my furthest
8 steps was my closest
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
XDeadXEyeX

Post by XDeadXEyeX »

Took a bird that i thought was 50yrds, ended up being 64 big paces across a freshly plowed field. My 20ga shoots 1-5/8 Handload of 8.5s extremely well so I wasn't worried, as long as I did my part. Held about 8" higher than normal and the bird tipped over, never even flopped. The main reason I shoot 8s or 8.5 in everything just in case yardage gets mistaken.
Hoosier06

Post by Hoosier06 »

Average for last 17 birds is 34 yards, all 12ga. This season birds were at 40,30,55-60,15, and 25. Had a miss at 35 last week of season when I had a sinus infection and a massive migraine so I was basically useless. Shot a sapling down right in front of the barrel that destroyed the pattern. Bird stood there for a few seconds before running off. I would have made that shot 99/100 times.

Honestly, longbeard XRs would cover 90% of the distances that I have shot birds at and I am starting to question why I still buy tss. I tipped one over last year at 65 but that’s the max I feel comfortable on a stationary bird.
Riverrat

Post by Riverrat »

decoykrvr wrote: May 30th, 2023, 8:44 pm I shoot TSS because when properly loaded, choked, and patterned it is in a ballistic/performance class all its own. I know my gun, ammunition and skill set from 10-60 yards. With that said, I'm curious about the ranges that the hunters on this site killed their birds this year. Shooting a 20 gauge w/ 1 5/8 oz of 9's over 9 1/2's, my 2 gobblers were called in and killed at 15 yards and 30 yards. I passed up a couple of gobblers in the woods at 40+ yards that I felt presented too much of a potential cripple situation, but then again, I'm not as hungry or numbers driven as I once was!
If you was comfortable with your gun up to 60 why did you pass a 40 yard shot up?

I shoot tight pattern guns because I don’t like eating pellets.

I test all my guns at every yardage to see where they play out

410’s to 60 yards.
28 thru 10ga 70 yards.
Wasn't born, I was hatched!!!!!!!!!!!! and raised in Tennessee.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

I was in thick woods and dealing w/ a flock of 10-14 birds, hens, jakes, and at least 3 gobblers. I had picked out a tree as my, "if a gobbler gets to that tree I'll shoot", but the birds stayed beyond the tree, pretty much ignored my calls, and when I did get a bird just beyond the tree, he was in full strut and despite my clucks, I couldn't get him to stop, come out of strut, and present a better shot. The entire flock eventually drifted off and I later walked up on them on a logging road and had a gobbler w/ his fan to me at 30 yards, but I opted to let them walk, I didn't want to kill a bird that way. The next day I revisited the spot where I had the gobbler in strut, paced it off, and determined that it would have been a 45 yard shot through stuff which was too thick. As an aside, it was opening day and even after all these years, I was somewhat mesmerized watching the flock interaction, hens getting bred, and strutters displaying on a little knob through the woods with my binoculars. It's not always about the kill, but I did just finish a batch of smoked turkey salad and still have a little smoked turkey and dumplings in the fridge.
PALongspur

Post by PALongspur »

My boy and I killed five birds with our handloads. All were between 20-35 yards.
seadux

Post by seadux »

I killed four birds this year with the .410 at 16, 32, 41, and 54 yds. The 54 was a bird in open woods and I just misjudged the range.
JRS

Post by JRS »

seadux wrote: June 4th, 2023, 7:31 pm I killed four birds this year with the .410 at 16, 32, 41, and 54 yds. The 54 was a bird in open woods and I just misjudged the range.
Did the same on my second bird, those hills had 50 yards looking like 20. I only use .410 or a bow. Bow bird was 15 feet, damn fun.
seadux

Post by seadux »

JRS wrote: June 6th, 2023, 10:42 pm
seadux wrote: June 4th, 2023, 7:31 pm I killed four birds this year with the .410 at 16, 32, 41, and 54 yds. The 54 was a bird in open woods and I just misjudged the range.
Did the same on my second bird, those hills had 50 yards looking like 20. I only use .410 or a bow. Bow bird was 15 feet, damn fun.
The 54yd bird was in WV, so hills were definitely in play!

Return to “Equipment/Product Reviews”