Last Hoorah of 2023

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Last Hoorah of 2023

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Today is it. It's 2:50 AM, it's Boyd's day off, and the last day of the season. I'm about to wake Boyd up to make one last run for 2023. We'll do battle with the same jackass turkeys again that want to spend the whole day wandering around on 10 acres of off limits woods, mowed clean by cattle, while I call foolishly from the sidelines. We killed one this way on the last day in 2022 so hoping for similar luck today.

Pray for luck and safety on the 2 1/2 hour drive. I'll report back this afternoon with at least photos of green woods. :)
Prospector

Re: Last Hoorah of 2023

Post by Prospector »

Lol. Good luck! Let me know. These are the ones you love and hate
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

You are one kick azz dedicated turkey chaser....wow, 2½ hours!

Good luck my friend, shoot straight!

Kevin
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Samm4770 »

Good luck buddy!
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

I C a monster gobbler in Boyd's future :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Got On a different bunch of turkeys uphill from plan. Had them within range but over hill with hens yelping. They've wandered away but we have set put to see what happens.

Two jokers playing turkey hunters are below us crawling around on edge of cattle woods calling a little and flashing a crawl behind strutter silhouette. There are birds in there but one of these guys has on a nearly white shirt the other in full Sitka. Holy hell no wonder these birds are so damn crazy. :banghead:

White spot is genius. The buddy has a gun or bow somewhere right.
IMG_20230531_071732750.jpg
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

Luck with them turkeys Shane. Know out in your country driving 2 1/2 hours is not necessarily a lot of miles. We do it down here in S. FL but flat and straight roads mostly! Watch out for the jackasses in white wearing out their strikers!

Son and family flying into Billings today.
Don
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Hobbes_mobile wrote: May 31st, 2023, 9:32 am Got On a different bunch of turkeys uphill from plan. Had them within range but over hill with hens yelping. They've wandered away but we have set put to see what happens.

Two jokers playing turkey hunters are below us crawling around on edge of cattle woods calling a little and flashing a crawl behind strutter silhouette. There are birds in there but one of these guys has on a nearly white shirt the other in full Sitka. Holy hell no wonder these birds are so damn crazy. :banghead:

White spot is genius. The buddy has a gun or bow somewhere right.
IMG_20230531_071732750.jpg
Holly cow, didn' know you were going to a circus :banghead:
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

We got a couple more gobbles out of the birds but the rain picked up and we got back to the truck. The white shirt dude and his Sitka buddy left the field where I'm sure they scared the heck out of turkeys.

We spotted a longbeard with a hen in a field about a mile down the road. They both were really wet looking but we parked and circled to call to them. He gobbled multiple times but moved back across the road onto posted private property before finally going quiet as the rain intensified. Boyd and I were getting good and wet by this time and marched back to the truck.

I've got to go to my granddaughter's preschool graduation at 3 so noon was as late as we could hunt. We stopped for a drive thru breakfast on the way back before one last try at a location where I've found a few birds in the past. It wasn't raining there and it looks good but no gobbles.

I'm home now so one heck of a round trip for 3 to 4 hours of hunting. That ends my 2023 season. I hunted 21 or 22 days. A few of those were only mornings. I saw 11 or 12 gobblers killed (I'm honestly too tired right now to figure it out), a few of which were jakes that I wish hadn't been killed but I wasn't in control of the trigger. I missed one turkey and I suppose I was due a miss, but that would have filled all of my spring tags. Hard to complain with how I closed out afterwards. I hunted from day one until the last day.

I hunted from east to west across the state in 6 of the 7 regions. It's been a good season and I'm terribly sad to see it go.

This morning:
IMG_20230531_060552147.jpg
IMG_20230531_091720680.jpg
IMG_20230531_074246532.jpg
IMG_20230531_112401481.jpg
IMG_20230531_112049032.jpg
Chief Razor

Post by Chief Razor »

Nice photos (as always). Great season. Already thinking about the next one!
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

Was rooting for you all day from the sidelines,honestly surprised it didn't happen they way it's been for you. Anywho, congrats to all of you and thanks for bringing us along via the reads ! :thumbup:
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Again, what quite a spectacular season you've had, with sharing all you have to offer, with your sons and others :thumbup:

May you continue to have the drive and strive to go after those beautiful mountain toms :cheers:

I'd be there with you on an invite, had it have been 15 years ago, but my runnin' n' gunnin' days are in the past ;)
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

soiltester wrote: May 31st, 2023, 6:28 pm Again, what quite a spectacular season you've had, with sharing all you have to offer, with your sons and others :thumbup:

May you continue to have the drive and strive to go after those beautiful mountain toms :cheers:

I'd be there with you on an invite, had it have been 15 years ago, but my runnin' n' gunnin' days are in the past ;)
I don't always have to run n gun but it's not uncommon for me to cover ground. Then I'll have a weekend that everything goes right and I can see the truck from the set up.
Shawnee Cowboy

Post by Shawnee Cowboy »

It may not have been ideal with alot of ups and downs, but you certainly had a great season. Loved the pics. Start to finish, you played the game. That's what we all love. Thanks for the day by day.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

Thanks for sharing your hunts and pictures. Years ago, my wife started telling me post-season, "Be Nice", since I tended to turn into a real a-hole after the season closed and things settled down, but I was still waking up about 3 in the morning.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

decoykrvr wrote: May 31st, 2023, 8:50 pm Thanks for sharing your hunts and pictures. Years ago, my wife started telling me post-season, "Be Nice", since I tended to turn into a real a-hole after the season closed and things settled down, but I was still waking up about 3 in the morning.
I have to make a conscious effort to not be an a-hole now that it's over. It's been difficult today because I'm operating on 4 hours of sleep and haven't had a chance to sleep because of granddaughter's preschool graduation and my wife's birthday. I just had her drive me through an area that I thought we may see turkeys this evening just because.
Soggy Socks

Post by Soggy Socks »

Sounds like a great season and thanks for the pics. I'm still waking up at 3 hoping that goes away soon.
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

Well we all envy the country you get to hunt in! A fine season for sure. Always look forward to seeing your next post.

Our son and family flew into Bozeman yesterday and are staying in a cabin on the Yellowstone in Gardiner. Checking out the further parts of the park and working back today. Said seen plenty of elk this morning.

Try to catch u on sleep. Know how those grandkids programs go! Gotta be there!
Don
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Swampstalk wrote: June 1st, 2023, 1:14 pm Well we all envy the country you get to hunt in! A fine season for sure. Always look forward to seeing your next post.

Our son and family flew into Bozeman yesterday and are staying in a cabin on the Yellowstone in Gardiner. Checking out the further parts of the park and working back today. Said seen plenty of elk this morning.

Try to catch u on sleep. Know how those grandkids programs go! Gotta be there!
Hope your son and family have a great trip to MT and the park. Should be a good time to be in the park, just a little before it gets too crazy.
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

Thanks. This trip will most likely create an itch for an out west hunt. He’s doing some applications for hunts. Muleys, maybe elk, points building I think. If he lays eyes on turkeys while there might look into that in the future.

Take care.
Don
Chief Razor

Post by Chief Razor »

Ive been looking at visiting Montana for quite some time. Ive decided to go out there next spring to hike and see some beautiful country. If I take home a turkey that would just be the icing on the cake.
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

My son’s family enjoyed their stay in Montana/Yellowstone. Saw beautiful country, plenty of wildlife, including elk, bison, black bear and possibly a grizzly in the distance, pronghorn, and some young big horn sheep I think. Lots of history in Cody. As a young kid first saw Jeremiah Johnson movie and was amazed to see the grave of “Liver Eating” Johnson. Think he’ll be back in the future, my son that is!

On another previous topic, a couple of friend that do a lot of backcountry hunting in Big Cypress were scouting this week when they saw a helicopter shooting the chemical balls starting a prescribed burn in the area where they were 4 miles off a road. They were soon surrounded by high flames and ran for 20 minutes to a 40 yard gap. Smoke was very think. Guy called his retired fireman brother and was going to get county fire rescue helicopter to pick the up. They got a hold of Park Service, which sent another copter to pick them up. They each got a $200 ticket, for what I not sure. Only notice was a 10x10” sign on a pipe gate which they did not use to walk in. Have to go to federal court in Ft. Meyers across the state from Miami where they live. Could have been a lot worse.
Don
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Swampstalk wrote: June 10th, 2023, 8:55 am My son’s family enjoyed their stay in Montana/Yellowstone. Saw beautiful country, plenty of wildlife, including elk, bison, black bear and possibly a grizzly in the distance, pronghorn, and some young big horn sheep I think. Lots of history in Cody. As a young kid first saw Jeremiah Johnson movie and was amazed to see the grave of “Liver Eating” Johnson. Think he’ll be back in the future, my son that is!

On another previous topic, a couple of friend that do a lot of backcountry hunting in Big Cypress were scouting this week when they saw a helicopter shooting the chemical balls starting a prescribed burn in the area where they were 4 miles off a road. They were soon surrounded by high flames and ran for 20 minutes to a 40 yard gap. Smoke was very think. Guy called his retired fireman brother and was going to get county fire rescue helicopter to pick the up. They got a hold of Park Service, which sent another copter to pick them up. They each got a $200 ticket, for what I not sure. Only notice was a 10x10” sign on a pipe gate which they did not use to walk in. Have to go to federal court in Ft. Meyers across the state from Miami where they live. Could have been a lot worse.
Glad they had a good trip. Keep me posted if he decides on a turkey hunting trip.

We were planning Cody this weekend but decided to camp locally instead. It's starting to rain and wind has picked up so we've battened down the hatches. Hoping it passes quickly but raining pretty good now.

We visited the museum in Cody six or seven years ago with my folks. Dad liked the guns a lot. We may go before the summer is up but it'll get more and more crowded.

I've read the book but is the Liver Eating Johnson monument in Red Lodge? The book has some exaggerating in it typical of those books but was good and I need to read it again.
IMG_20230609_174220496.jpg
IMG_20230609_174422330.jpg
IMG_20230609_174403123.jpg
IMG_20230609_140035826.jpg
IMG_20230609_174044772.jpg
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

He brought me this book on Liver Eating Johnson. That era had numerous sources and the man himself helped create an image. His grace is in Old Trail Town in Cody, along with son other pioneers and characters, along with plenty of historical material.
Attachments
IMG_5405.jpeg
Don
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I love that movie!
"Can you skin grizz, pilgrim?"
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!

Return to “Gobbler Talk”