Benelli problem?

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Casey Napier

Benelli problem?

Post by Casey Napier »

Got a Benelli M1 Super 90 that I installed a 21" M2 barrel and forearm. Single shot gun working up handloads and pattern testing and function was perfect. Decided I might carry it on my out of state hunt that I have coming up May 12th so I decided to check zero and function by loading a shell in the mag tube behind shell I was checking zero with. Gun failed to load next round into chamber leaving shell laying on Carrier. I have never had trouble with a Benelli before so I thought maybe it was something wrong with the shell but it has done it with several though not every time. I did notice that the carrier would sometimes be a little stubborn on moving far enough up to allow shells to be loaded in mag but not all the time. Think I narrowed it down to something going on with the carrier so I will pull the trigger mechanism out tomorrow and see if there is anything obvious. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Figured I would mention that I installed a Taran Tactical trigger spring kit so its possible I might have done something although I have installed many suck springs in other Benelli guns and clones.

Thanks
Casey
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Benelli problem?

Post by Hognutz »

Have you tried loading the tube and manually operating the bolt to load and then eject the loaded shell?
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Casey Napier

Post by Casey Napier »

Yes sir, Seems to work fine when you manually run shells through the gun.

Casey
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

My Nova has a problem with the carrier not dropping down after loading rounds into the mag tube.If I pull back the pump the shell drops onto the ground. i e mailed Benelli and they were quick to respond. Will be shipping the gun to them soon. On my gun ,if I pull back slightly the carrier will drop back down.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
Casey Napier

Post by Casey Napier »

My Nova's Carrier stays in the up position with rounds loaded in the mag tube? Thought this was normal??

Casey
Casey Napier

Post by Casey Napier »

Mine works fine so I thought that was normal with the Nova's?

Casey
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Casey. Did you try firing it a second time just to make sure it wasn't a fluke?
If it functions manually but not while being shot could the recoil spring be at fault? I'm assuming that you had it right on your shoulder when you fired it.
Casey Napier

Post by Casey Napier »

I did check it several times. It does not happen all the time. I took mag spring out and cleaned interior of mag tube, spring and follower. I have installed a Heavy Wolfe spring in at least a dozen Bebnelli's including this one. I am shooting it off a led sled as I do all my guns testing loads. I did fire a few off my shoulder and it functioned.

Casey
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Casey Napier wrote: May 7th, 2023, 10:04 am My Nova's Carrier stays in the up position with rounds loaded in the mag tube? Thought this was normal??

Casey
How do you get the carrier to drop down so the shell doesn't fall out when you pull back the pump ? ?
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
Chief Razor

Post by Chief Razor »

Casey Napier wrote: May 7th, 2023, 1:26 pm I did check it several times. It does not happen all the time. I took mag spring out and cleaned interior of mag tube, spring and follower. I have installed a Heavy Wolfe spring in at least a dozen Bebnelli's including this one. I am shooting it off a led sled as I do all my guns testing loads. I did fire a few off my shoulder and it functioned.

Casey
Lead sled could be the problem if theres to much weight on the sled that the gun does not move. Especially with the heavier recoil spring. The inertia guns have to move a bit at the shot to cycle properly.
Casey Napier

Post by Casey Napier »

I assume the carrier on the Nova drops as I pu;ll back the pump and then loads the next shell? I don't know exactly cause I never thought about it being I thought it was the way it was designed?

It possibly could be I guess but none of the other Benelli Guns I have changed spring in or not have ever had an issue with cycling using this Led Sled? But I hope that is the issue

Casey
Casey Napier

Post by Casey Napier »

Well I think it was the led sled? Just went out and fired 12 field loads and 3 turkey loads from my shoulder and it ran them perfect. I got to thinking that most of the guns I shoot off the sled is single fired only, but I know on occasion I have loaded in mag so that it will cycle and never had issue before but they were with different guns and usually 3.5" guns. I will sight it in and take it on my hunt this coming weekend but I will also have a back-up gun just in case.

I still have the issue with the slightly loose forearm. Yes I have all the washers in it. It is a Freedom Fighter Tactical M2 close. I took several strips of electric tape to the inside of the forearm where it meets the barrel lug and this helps but I really feel like it should fit better? All my other Benelli's do. I will contact them tomorrow and maybe try one of their M1 Clones to see if it fits better but then again I might just live with what I got as getting a new forearm and having it dipped would be expensive!

As far as the Nova, can someone confirm that they are designed that the carrier is in up position or not?

Thanks for all the help and advice. I am hoping that the sled was the issue, it sure appears to be.

Casey
SteveRoseRAS

Post by SteveRoseRAS »

Casey Napier wrote: May 7th, 2023, 2:52 pm

As far as the Nova, can someone confirm that they are designed that the carrier is in up position or not?

Casey
It is working as designed. The Nova and Super Nova (pump gun) carrier will move up when you loads shell(s) into the tube and remain up until you open the action.

And shooting the inertia operated guns on a Lead Sled will causes cycling issues in many instances. The guns has to move a certain amount to compress the inertia spring (inside the bolt carrier) and make the gun function.
https://preview.redd.it/w42btf3754py.gi ... 68c66e6011
Steve Rose
Rose Action Sports, LLC
Pembroke, KY
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

There ya go, Casey. According to Steve, we were on the right track!!
Sounds like you are good to go, Brother!
Mike.
Casey Napier

Post by Casey Napier »

Thanks for all the advice! Gives me confidence to take it on our next out of state hunt this next weekend. Now if I could just get the slight movement out of my forearm. Did put a few layers of tape on inside of forearm where it meets the barrel lug and it helped some.

Casey
Casey Napier

Post by Casey Napier »

Issue with feeding, come to find out was caused by the Lead Sled so that not an issue. Forearm looseness an issue with the FFT after market forearm which I replaced with a Benelli factory forearm. But the issue now is with the dinging of the finish on the ejection port. I replaced recoil spring with a Wolfe Heavy Spring, unsure if this has anything to do with it or not, as I only will ever shoot heavy turkey loads out of gun. I have changed spring in at least 6 other Benelli's and none of these exhibit this issue so I am unsure if it is the spring, handload, something different with the ejector on this particular M1 Super 90. The damage has already been done to the finish but I would really like to keep it from getting worse. I own 5 other Benelli's so I know there is something strange about the way this particular gun ejects the spent shells.

Any advice?

Casey
ShortMagFan

Post by ShortMagFan »

At first blush sounds like a problem gun. But then every issue seems to come back to something you’ve done (lead sled, aftermarket forearm). I’d suspect the recoil spring is also a causing you issues. I’d return the gun to bone stock and shoot it and see what happens.

I have the Wolff springs in 3 guns and have not had an issue

Fwiw I have never used a lead sled but they seem to cause a lot of problems with heavy recoiling guns.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

The lead sled, in itself, is a great sight in tool. It holds the gun super steady and eliminates all the recoil that would/could cause flinching.
Shells are generally fed one at a time.
As long as you realize that it can and will affect your second shot.
It is a great tool, as long as you understand its limitations.
Casey Napier

Post by Casey Napier »

I thought about switchng the recoil spring back to stock instead of the Heavy Spring. Gun was purchased used and with stock spring and I noticed no damage where chipping is present now. That is really the only thing I have changed other than the 21" M2 barrel and the M2 forearm. Like I mentioned above, I have swapped several, probably 5 or 6 in other Benelli's without the issue, even my other M1 Super 90 and it has no issue.

Casey
Casey Napier

Post by Casey Napier »

Do yall think the Extra Power spring is necessary?

Casey
SteveRoseRAS

Post by SteveRoseRAS »

Casey Napier wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 7:05 am Issue with feeding, come to find out was caused by the Lead Sled so that not an issue. Forearm looseness an issue with the FFT after market forearm which I replaced with a Benelli factory forearm. But the issue now is with the dinging of the finish on the ejection port. I replaced recoil spring with a Wolfe Heavy Spring, unsure if this has anything to do with it or not, as I only will ever shoot heavy turkey loads out of gun. I have changed spring in at least 6 other Benelli's and none of these exhibit this issue so I am unsure if it is the spring, handload, something different with the ejector on this particular M1 Super 90. The damage has already been done to the finish but I would really like to keep it from getting worse. I own 5 other Benelli's so I know there is something strange about the way this particular gun ejects the spent shells.

Any advice?

Casey
Got any pictures of the finish dinging?
Steve Rose
Rose Action Sports, LLC
Pembroke, KY
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Casey
The Wolfe springs are only needed if the gun has the tendency to have the problematic Benelli click as some factory springs aren’t stiff enough to keep the gun in battery position. I have owned 3 Benellis personally and only my M2 20 did the Benelli click and that was down in Kentucky and I had to have bumped the bolt to make it come out of battery.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Casey Napier

Post by Casey Napier »

I did order a new factory recoil spring and will install it when I get it and see if that may be an issue.

I will get some pictures this evening Mr. Rose and email to you as I do not know how to add pictures to post. Technologically challenged I am!

Casey
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Send me the pictures, Casey and I'll post them for you.
You may still have my number. If not, PM me and I'll send it to you.
Mike
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Posting these pictures for Casey
image000000.jpeg
image000001.jpeg
image000002.jpeg

Return to “Gun Talk”