12 vs 20 - 16?

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
RockinLOutfitters

Re: 12 vs 20 - 16?

Post by RockinLOutfitters »

GLS wrote: May 6th, 2023, 12:02 pm Here are my 4, ready to go Yildiz single-shots. The top two are the .410 at 3.25 lbs. I prefer the red dot, having missed with the Skinner peep. If one is content to shoot off the bead, then the Skinner is for you. I had to have a smith make the collar to sit on the barrel at the muzzle end as the metal is too thin for adding the rifle sight base without a collar. I was able to aim it fine at paper but missed a bird at 28 steps last season with it. The bird ran off, but I was able to call him back gobbling, but he was just out of range the second time. The red dot doesn't miss (as often.)
The bottom two are the 12 gauges at 4.25 lbs. The Marble post and rifle sight sit atop the solid rib as does the notched Sumtoy base for the FFIII. Both front and back are solidly mounted. I removed the camo tape from the action at season's end. I Duracoated the action with the shake and spray kit. If I had to do it over again, I'd use rattle can Rustoleum as it is repairable. The Skinner peep is adjustable and DocHolliday doesn't miss with his Skinner peep on his Bobwhite 28 ga. I missed a bird at 38 yards last year with the 12, but had gotten a nice one the year before with the rig. This season I wasn't going to let another miss happen and the red dot version did the trick. I like piddling with turkey guns off season and trying different versions on the Yildiz platform. At $129 for the .410 and $150 for the 12, both NIB, the projects don't break the bank. The actions on both are anodized aluminum with steel inserts in the disk strikers. The barrels are satin chromed so corrosion is no problem with these guns. The overall shortness of the guns is helped by not having the longer receiver of a repeater. Gil
That’s a collection to be jealous of Lol! I’ll always have a place in my heart for break action type shotguns. I love the work you’ve done there!
Central Missouri

Rockin L Outfitters

Winchester arms - Carlson Chokes - Salt Creek Shotshells
RockinLOutfitters

I just found a Benelli M2, a Stoeger O/U, a used Weatherby Element, a Winchester SX4 and a SXP. All in 20 gauge obviously, and I’m getting them at cost.

I own a SXP right now in 12 gauge and so far I’ve really liked that gun.

The 20 gauge SXP, is literally identical to my 12, same bronze finish, same stock camo, everything.

The SX4 I think as of now, is what feels the best shouldered. It’s a woodland camo finish, the only thing I don’t particularly like is it’s a 28” barrel. My current 12 gauge is a 26” and it’s ballpark to long.
Central Missouri

Rockin L Outfitters

DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

Gil, I’d recommend removing the “insert” aperture and shoot just the “ring”. You’ll have a much bigger field of view and target acquisition is faster.

Best,
Doc
NRA Benefactor Life Member
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Doc, I wish that was the issue--they were flat footed when I shot with a good hold and I thought, well-aimed. They disagreed. However, I'll try and see if that helps. Gil
RockinLOutfitters

GLS wrote: May 6th, 2023, 1:16 pm Doc, I wish that was the issue--they were flat footed when I shot with a good hold and I thought, well-aimed. They disagreed. However, I'll try and see if that helps. Gil
I am a vortex optic fan at heart, all of my rifles hold them on top. I was thinking of putting a Venom on this new 20 gauge. A lot of people seem to like the Burris FF. I have never ran either, if any of you have any input on that I am all ears. I’d love to only buy one lol
Central Missouri

Rockin L Outfitters

GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Burris has been in business quite a while. I don't know about Vortex. Burris offers a lifetime warranty on their product without regard to who bought it and no proof of purchase required. Perhaps Vortex has followed suit. Gil
RockinLOutfitters

GLS wrote: May 6th, 2023, 1:29 pm Burris has been in business quite a while. I don't know about Vortex. Burris offers a lifetime warranty on their product without regard to who bought it and no proof of purchase required. Perhaps Vortex has followed suit. Gil
Yes sir. My Vortex has the same warranty and my rep has always taken great care of me. I don’t have a single problem buying the Burris though, if it’s tried and proven in the field than I’m all for it.

I’ve always just shot the front bead. It’ll be a whole new world for me.
Central Missouri

Rockin L Outfitters

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Jstocks wrote: May 6th, 2023, 11:59 am I’d strongly consider that Weatherby Element turkey 20 with the 22” barrel. From what I can tell, it looks like a clone of the older benelli’s that I love. It’s half the price of a retay or Franchi or Benelli.
Which Benelli does it look like?
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

RockinLOutfitters wrote: May 6th, 2023, 1:31 pm
GLS wrote: May 6th, 2023, 1:29 pm Burris has been in business quite a while. I don't know about Vortex. Burris offers a lifetime warranty on their product without regard to who bought it and no proof of purchase required. Perhaps Vortex has followed suit. Gil
Yes sir. My Vortex has the same warranty and my rep has always taken great care of me. I don’t have a single problem buying the Burris though, if it’s tried and proven in the field than I’m all for it.

I’m here to help any way that I can. If you do get a 16ga be sure to ask me about my SweeTSS16 load

RockinLOutfitters

Hoobilly wrote: May 6th, 2023, 10:55 pm
RockinLOutfitters wrote: May 6th, 2023, 1:31 pm

I’m here to help any way that I can. If you do get a 16ga be sure to ask me about my SweeTSS16 load
Thank you, I greatly appreciate all the support. I will definitely own one, I’m just looking for the right deal.
Central Missouri

Rockin L Outfitters

Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

Hoobilly wrote: May 6th, 2023, 10:53 pm
Jstocks wrote: May 6th, 2023, 11:59 am I’d strongly consider that Weatherby Element turkey 20 with the 22” barrel. From what I can tell, it looks like a clone of the older benelli’s that I love. It’s half the price of a retay or Franchi or Benelli.
From the videos I’ve watched, the action looks similar to my old 20 gauge. I believe that model was a super 90 montefeltro or something like that?

It’s the original 20 ga in the old Realtree pattern.

Looks like the bolt has a hinged tail that recoils into the stock and a spring in the stock is the resistance that forces it to cycle back closed.

I have only watched videos of the field stripping. I have not held one, so I’m not 100%
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Jstocks wrote: May 6th, 2023, 11:40 pm
Hoobilly wrote: May 6th, 2023, 10:53 pm
From the videos I’ve watched, the action looks similar to my old 20 gauge. I believe that model was a super 90 montefeltro or something like that?

It’s the original 20 ga in the old Realtree pattern.

Looks like the bolt has a hinged tail that recoils into the stock and a spring in the stock is the resistance that forces it to cycle back closed.

I have only watched videos of the field stripping. I have not held one, so I’m not 100%
I will have to check that out

patternfreak

Post by patternfreak »

RockinL, I haven't seen this mentioned here so I will throw in a couple more cents

If you are concerned with weight you can go down even one step further and still be PLENTY capable at killing turkeys to distances much further than we should shoot

A 28ga is capable of shooting a 1-5/8oz payload. Foxtrot/Brice/Hoobily sells a great 1-1/2oz load that will pattern pretty close to a 20ga shooting 1-5/8 oz, but if you handload 1-5/8 oz is possible. Not really needed though

I have settled on the 28ga for the majority of my turkey hunting. There have been a couple offerings put on the market recently in factory setup 28ga turkey guns.

I have an 870 28ga that patterns great and is light as a feather. I would highly suggest a 28ga that is lighter than a 20ga for your intended goals
MFL205

Post by MFL205 »

I moved from a 12 to a 20 a few years ago....now I have boxes of 12 gauge turkey ammo that just collect dust! LOL
Once you move to a 20, you will never look back!

Now...after watching my daughter drop turkeys with a .410, it has me thinking...why am I carrying around this heavy 20 gauge. :lol: :lol: :lol:
RockinLOutfitters

patternfreak wrote: May 8th, 2023, 3:36 pm RockinL, I haven't seen this mentioned here so I will throw in a couple more cents

If you are concerned with weight you can go down even one step further and still be PLENTY capable at killing turkeys to distances much further than we should shoot

A 28ga is capable of shooting a 1-5/8oz payload. Foxtrot/Brice/Hoobily sells a great 1-1/2oz load that will pattern pretty close to a 20ga shooting 1-5/8 oz, but if you handload 1-5/8 oz is possible. Not really needed though

I have settled on the 28ga for the majority of my turkey hunting. There have been a couple offerings put on the market recently in factory setup 28ga turkey guns.

I have an 870 28ga that patterns great and is light as a feather. I would highly suggest a 28ga that is lighter than a 20ga for your intended goals

I have no personal experience with a 28, except seeing my dad shoot quail and rabbits with one growing up. He loved that gun and the performance. I see a ton of people using the 28 for turkeys now, and I don’t doubt you one bit on the way it performs!

After all the information everyone on here’s giving me, I’m afraid I’m going to wind up with all of them. Fair warning, I’m blaming all of you for this if my wife throws a fit! Lol
Central Missouri

Rockin L Outfitters

RockinLOutfitters

MFL205 wrote: May 8th, 2023, 4:45 pm I moved from a 12 to a 20 a few years ago....now I have boxes of 12 gauge turkey ammo that just collect dust! LOL
Once you move to a 20, you will never look back!

Now...after watching my daughter drop turkeys with a .410, it has me thinking...why am I carrying around this heavy 20 gauge. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lol I don’t doubt that one bit. My dad gave me an old Remington 410 he bought new in the 80s I think. I can’t remember off hand the model, it’s a semi auto gun that the entire barrel slides back to eject the shell.

With all the science behind the TSS Shotshells, and it’s like they just keep getting better and better, I think they’re a great thing. This old gun he gave me is a fixed full barrel and I thought about trying some loads through it.
Central Missouri

Rockin L Outfitters

Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

patternfreak wrote: May 8th, 2023, 3:36 pm RockinL, I haven't seen this mentioned here so I will throw in a couple more cents

Not trying to be argumentative, but unless your 870 28 gauge is built different than mine, our definitions of “light as a feather” are not calibrated equally. Mine weighs in at almost 6.5 lbs.

I wouldn’t even call a 20 gauge “light” until you hit that 6lb or sub 6 lb mark.

My 28 ga 870 express with a 25” barrel outweighs my Franchi affinity 20 ga if I’m not mistaken.
2nd100

Post by 2nd100 »

I killed my first 20 Ga single season grand slam in 2012 shooting a Remy 11-87 , sumtoy choke and Federal HW #7 's . Before that I had killed 10 or so eastern and 3 or 4 Osceolas since 2012 I have killed maybe 6 total turkeys with a 12 ga all hevishot #7's and mag blend .
In 2015 I killed my 100th longbeard ( hence 2nd 100 as I'm now working g on my 2nd 100 ) 13 years and usually 1 or 2 in Florida every year and 3 a year in Ga until the last 2 years equals 30 to 35 birds almost exclusively with a 20 ga or a 410 and 12 maybe 13 of them with the 410 all TSS 27 /32 oz loads and 1 5/8 oz in the 20 ga I may never tote a 12 Guage ever again . No need to when the 410 will do it at 40 yards everytime you do your part . And the 20 Ga has been backed down to shoot @ 300 in the 10 at 40 to make it a better (Read less misses ) option . The only reason for going back to the 20 ga is I don't have the number of turkeys i used to have back in the early 2000's ( Habitat loss mostly) and i dont want to waste an opportunity and not kill one that should haven't walked off .
That being said I killed the longest bird I have killed in 6 years this season at 42 yards. Although I did have to body shoot one at 50 yds after I fringed him at 36 . All these were #9 's .
And not only am I shooting them 410 and 20 I have Alot of people I hunt with and talk with regularly that have been killing them with 20 ga and wont ever look back again . One kid has 26 states right now and leaving for a 3 state western sweep on the trail to chasing 49.
3/4 of his kills are a 20 and he is contemplating going to a 28 Ga . And by lil buddy that is a 28 gauge toter has killed in Texas , Florida, Georgia and maybe another one or 2 I'm forgetting over the last 4 years . And he is shooting 9.5's only to get his numbers stupid high . #9's were 250 ish but he HAD to have 350 and exceeded that with the 9.5's .
10th Legion legionare !
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

I have a Mossberg 500/20 ga and a bolt action/16 ga. I still have my most confidence in my Mossberg 835/12 Gauge and use that the most.
RockinLOutfitters

2nd100 wrote: May 8th, 2023, 10:58 pm I killed my first 20 Ga single season grand slam in 2012 shooting a Remy 11-87 , sumtoy choke and Federal HW #7 's . Before that I had killed 10 or so eastern and 3 or 4 Osceolas since 2012 I have killed maybe 6 total turkeys with a 12 ga all hevishot #7's and mag blend .
In 2015 I killed my 100th longbeard ( hence 2nd 100 as I'm now working g on my 2nd 100 ) 13 years and usually 1 or 2 in Florida every year and 3 a year in Ga until the last 2 years equals 30 to 35 birds almost exclusively with a 20 ga or a 410 and 12 maybe 13 of them with the 410 all TSS 27 /32 oz loads and 1 5/8 oz in the 20 ga I may never tote a 12 Guage ever again . No need to when the 410 will do it at 40 yards everytime you do your part . And the 20 Ga has been backed down to shoot @ 300 in the 10 at 40 to make it a better (Read less misses ) option . The only reason for going back to the 20 ga is I don't have the number of turkeys i used to have back in the early 2000's ( Habitat loss mostly) and i dont want to waste an opportunity and not kill one that should haven't walked off .
That being said I killed the longest bird I have killed in 6 years this season at 42 yards. Although I did have to body shoot one at 50 yds after I fringed him at 36 . All these were #9 's .
And not only am I shooting them 410 and 20 I have Alot of people I hunt with and talk with regularly that have been killing them with 20 ga and wont ever look back again . One kid has 26 states right now and leaving for a 3 state western sweep on the trail to chasing 49.
3/4 of his kills are a 20 and he is contemplating going to a 28 Ga . And by lil buddy that is a 28 gauge toter has killed in Texas , Florida, Georgia and maybe another one or 2 I'm forgetting over the last 4 years . And he is shooting 9.5's only to get his numbers stupid high . #9's were 250 ish but he HAD to have 350 and exceeded that with the 9.5's .

Wow, that’s unreal! Congratulations on the slam and the 100! I’m sure they were well earned and well deserved! It’s awesome to see hunters be that successful! And to think, if I would’ve told my dad, uncle, and grandpa 30 years ago that a sub-gauge is all a guy needs.. they probably would’ve disowned me! Lol
Central Missouri

Rockin L Outfitters

patternfreak

Post by patternfreak »

Jstocks wrote: May 8th, 2023, 6:27 pm Not trying to be argumentative, but unless your 870 28 gauge is built different than mine, our definitions of “light as a feather” are not calibrated equally. Mine weighs in at almost 6.5 lbs.

I wouldn’t even call a 20 gauge “light” until you hit that 6lb or sub 6 lb mark.

My 28 ga 870 express with a 25” barrel outweighs my Franchi affinity 20 ga if I’m not mistaken.
Just weighed mine since I was curious. It weighed 6 pounds on the dot per my Berkley fish scale. That is including the red dot, meadow creek mount, and the sling. So take all of that off and it would be 5 something as a bare bones gun. Feels super light in the hands, I love the gun.
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

patternfreak wrote: May 9th, 2023, 1:59 pm
Jstocks wrote: May 8th, 2023, 6:27 pm Not trying to be argumentative, but unless your 870 28 gauge is built different than mine, our definitions of “light as a feather” are not calibrated equally. Mine weighs in at almost 6.5 lbs.

Just weighed mine since I was curious. It weighed 6 pounds on the dot per my Berkley fish scale. That is including the red dot, meadow creek mount, and the sling. So take all of that off and it would be 5 something as a bare bones gun. Feels super light in the hands, I love the gun.
What length barrel?

I need to weigh mine on a different scale. It’s bare bones, not dot or sling.
patternfreak

Post by patternfreak »

I believe its 25" factory but it has been threaded by Briley so may have been shortened a touch?
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

2nd100 wrote: May 8th, 2023, 10:58 pm I killed my first 20 Ga single season grand slam in 2012 shooting a Remy 11-87 , sumtoy choke and Federal HW #7 's . Before that I had killed 10 or so eastern and 3 or 4 Osceolas since 2012 I have killed maybe 6 total turkeys with a 12 ga all hevishot #7's and mag blend .
Bel that’s most awesome!

As far as your buddy goes, 9.5 is just a pellet count. He needs to try and duplex 8x9 or 8.5x9

patternfreak

Post by patternfreak »

Hoobilly wrote: May 15th, 2023, 7:00 pmAs far as your buddy goes, 9.5 is just a pellet count. He needs to try and duplex 8x9 or 8.5x9
Good advice!! I really am liking the 8.5x9 duplex. Gives you a little more punch and I only lost 10 pellets in the 10" circle at 40 yards coming from straight 9's. Pretty much a negligible difference in pellet count with more killing power

Return to “Gun Talk”