Remington trigger pull

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Vintage

Remington trigger pull

Post by Vintage »

Is there a way to reduce the pull on a 870 that will not break the bank. Are the springs on the net worth purchasing or should I spend the money for the Timney.
It is what it is.
batsonbe

Re: Remington trigger pull

Post by batsonbe »

Vintage wrote: April 22nd, 2023, 9:49 pm Is there a way to reduce the pull on a 870 that will not break the bank. Are the springs on the net worth purchasing or should I spend the money for the Timney.
I went the timney route in my 870s. Timney turned that gun into a much more enjoyable shooter.
I have replaced 2 of my guns springs with the mcarbo and it does lighten the pull but what happens is there is a lot of take up initially till you get to the wall then it’s your light trigger pull then there’s a lot of over travel with a long reset.
Timney is no slop when you apply pressure to the trigger there is no travel. So when you’re applying pressure that is the pressure causing it to fire. Minimal over travel and a quick reset.
My only thoughts would be if you had a reliable gun smith that could do a trigger job cheaper than the price of the timney? I believe my local trusted gun smith said $60. For a 3lb smooth crisp trigger on my 870s.
VALongbeard

Post by VALongbeard »

The Timney kit is very nice, no doubt. The springs do make a difference typically in the 870s. For the money the spring is a good option, but the Timney is the better of the two upgrades if money isn’t an object.
Dr Juice

Post by Dr Juice »

The spring worked out well in my 11-87. Good luck 🍀
TN Tom

Post by TN Tom »

The spring made a big difference in my 870 also.
highball

Post by highball »

the timney is well worth the money,super nice trigger after installing
dustyroads

Post by dustyroads »

I'm a fan of the timney kit. Expensive but worth it in my opinion. Also can use left over springs from the kit to lighten other guns.
slick

Post by slick »

Bought two springs from e bay. My triggers are about 3.5-4 pounds now
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I ordered the kit from MCarbo, replaced both my 12 and 20 gauge springs. No more than I shoot my turkey guns, I didn't want to dump a bunch of money in the triggers. So far they are great.

I think you'll be happy with your choice.
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

Springs are just one component of a trigger job and can reduce the force required for the trigger to "break", but don't reduce the over-travel. You would do well to remove the trigger assembly from the gun and manually cock the hammer and release it with the trigger while wearing a leather glove on the off hand to catch the hammer before it completely falls. Sometimes I do this for several hours at a time utilizing petroleum based polishing compounds and essentially put a life time of cycles on the hammer/trigger assembly which will smooth out the action much like a polish job and actually reduce the trigger break by the repeated spring compression. Timney triggers are easy to install, expensive and have very limited availability for shotguns, but work great and give a wide latitude of adjustment.
Jethro15

Post by Jethro15 »

Is the Timney a complete drop in trigger or is it a spring kit?
Jbird22

Post by Jbird22 »

Jethro15 wrote: May 2nd, 2023, 7:49 pm Is the Timney a complete drop in trigger or is it a spring kit?
https://timneytriggers.com/remington-870-trigger-fix/
Contact Info - 4XWADSLITTER@GMAIL.COM
Jethro15

Post by Jethro15 »

Thank you, that’s what I was thinking, but wanted to make sure.
RBMTDJager

Post by RBMTDJager »

slick wrote: May 2nd, 2023, 4:00 pm Bought two springs from e bay. My triggers are about 3.5-4 pounds now
Who'd you buy them from if you'd be so kind to share.
slick

Post by slick »

Stand by, bought them from eBay prob 10 years ago
slick

Post by slick »

image.jpg
And I know
image.jpg
Attachments
75A5944E-5F79-4698-9CFE-B28F765B77ED.png
runngun

Post by runngun »

I just done my Remington Model 870 20 gauge, with the mcarbo sear spring. Very cheap, changed the pull from 5.5 down to 2.75. I also ordered spring kit from Wolf, hammer spring, firing pin spring and lifter spring. Got a kit ordered for my Remington Model 870 16 gauge WINGMASTER going to be changing all of those springs as well. It's an old gun but it is brand new, mint condition, can't stand it anymore so next year I am going to kill a few turkeys with the 16.

Have a good one and May God bless, Bocephus
lhsako

Post by lhsako »

FloppinTom

Post by FloppinTom »

I purchased 3lb springs from ebay and have used them on multiple 870s &1100s from .410 up to 12 ga. Easy to swap out and they make a huge difference for the $.
Get there early, stay late, sit still and don't use weather as an excuse to stay home.

Return to “Gun Talk”