Wild Turkey Books

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Wild Turkey Books

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I just got the Old Pro Turkey Hunter by Gene Nunnery in today.
IMG_20230324_092733442.jpg
I've got a couple more on order that'll be here next week:
Turkey Hunting - A One Man Game by Kenny Morgan
50 Years Hunting Wild Turkeys by Wayne Bailey

Considering the number of magazine articles written about turkeys that I've read through the years, especially in the early 90s getting started, you'd think I'd have taken an early interest in the books. However, I've never taken more than a casual interest in them. I have read Doc's first two, thoroughly enjoying them, and meant to pick up his third at the Convention but didn't fight my way through the crowd for long enough. I'll order direct from him after turkey season so all three are signed.

I typically turn into somewhat of an edgy pissed off individual during the month of March while waiting on mid April. It's likely that doesn't go unnoticed. :) I'm hoping these provide some relief during my wait for the actual hunting to begin.

There's a few early books that look and sound like interesting reading but holy smokes they are pricey. Any books besides the obvious ones that you'd recommend? I'm not really looking for"how to" books. I'm planning to order Casada's Remembering the Greats.
PALongspur

Re: Wild Turkey Books

Post by PALongspur »

I would get both of Hunter Farrior’s books. They are both absolutely phenomenal.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

Illumination in the Flatwoods ,by Joe Hutto totally changed my perception of turkeys, their relationship to numerous components of their environment and the way I hunt them.
crow

Post by crow »

The first 2 on your list are top of my list, along with
10th Legion by Tom Kelly
The Season " " "
Better on a rising tide by Tom Kelly

These are also available as CD's and are great to listen to when driving
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

decoykrvr wrote: March 24th, 2023, 5:11 pm Illumination in the Flatwoods ,by Joe Hutto totally changed my perception of turkeys, their relationship to numerous components of their environment and the way I hunt them.
Ive seen the television program and enjoyed it, but it sounds like the book is even better. I'll add it to the list.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

It's not a turkey book, but Shane you will enjoy Hutto's, Touching the Wild: Living with Mule Deer of Deadman Gulch.
Last edited by decoykrvr on March 26th, 2023, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

decoykrvr wrote: March 25th, 2023, 12:48 am It's not a turkey gook, but Shane you will enjoy Hutto's, Touching the Wild: Living with Mule Deer of Deadman Gulch.
I'll look for it
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

The TV program does not do it justice, you hear that often but couldn't be more true in this case.
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

Jim Spenser’s Bad Birds books are relatable and enjoyable reads.
Don
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Dtrkyman wrote: March 25th, 2023, 9:03 am The TV program does not do it justice, you hear that often but couldn't be more true in this case.
Truth
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

The Wayne Bailey book arrived today. I had to order a used softback book on Amazon. It looks like it came from a store in Mobile, AL. Somehow that seems appropriate. I'll have to be careful while reading it. I'm nearly done with Nunnery's book.
IMG_20230327_174642942.jpg
I also ordered two booksby Hunter Farrior today,
Ballad of a Turkey Hunter and Any Given Spring Morning. The author is relatively young but I think I'll like them.
gaswamp

Post by gaswamp »

Let us know what you think of the farrior books
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

gaswamp wrote: March 28th, 2023, 6:39 am Let us know what you think of the farrior books
I'll do it
RaspyD

Post by RaspyD »

IMG_3046.jpg
This is a great book written by Jim Miller, a wildlife professional, who worked for many years in the Fish and Wildlife Extension of the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Washington, D.C. Some of the stories in his book included my dad and Jim Clay and their hunts at Vermejo Park Ranch in New Mexico. He also has several stories of turkey hunts very near to where I live and hunt now.

More on Jim Miller:
https://digitalcommons.usu.edu/cgi/view ... ontext=hwi
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

RaspyD wrote: March 28th, 2023, 1:27 pm IMG_3046.jpgThis is a great book written by Jim Miller, a wildlife professional, who worked for many years in the Fish and Wildlife Extension of the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Washington, D.C. Some of the stories in his book included my dad and Jim Clay and their hunts at Vermejo Park Ranch in New Mexico. He also has several stories of turkey hunts very near to where I live and hunt now.

More on Jim Miller:
https://digitalcommons.usu.edu/cgi/view ... ontext=hwi
I'll add it to the list of potential books. :thumbup:
dsunday

Post by dsunday »

I also like Playing the Game by Andy Cantrell

And Letters to my Grandsons by Larry Proffitt
"Never trust what you quote from the internet" -Abe Lincoln
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

These three arrived this week, the two by Hunter Farrior today.
IMG_20230331_141252285.jpg
I've read around 35 pages of the Bailey book and likely will not finish it.  It's more of a how to book from there on out and hasn't necessarily appealed to me.  The Nunnery book was more about old turkey hunters that he knew and old hunts that he'd been on, more story telling, and I liked it.  Bailey has some short stories and I've read most of those, but most are fall hunting.  It's still a cool book and I may eventually finish it. I'm just not really interested in reading how to identify a hen vs a gobbler or what a turkey eats in the Appalachians.
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

I bought from Jim Casada's site- HUNTING WILD TURKEYS IN THE EVERGLADES.
It must have been Awesome hunting Wild Turkeys down in South Florida from 1925 to the late 1970s. One guy that is talked about in the Book alot bagged well over 500 Turkeys! The majority with a 410 gauge Shotgun.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”