Worlds Smallest Turkey Gun

the best TSS shot shell ammo made in USA
Foxtrotammo.com
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Worlds Smallest Turkey Gun

Post by Hoobilly »

Daniel Groce built a fun lil Mossberg 20ga Bantam and shot a few rounds. Of course the Crusher & HotRods did good!

Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Worlds Smallest Turkey Gun

Post by Samm4770 »

Awesome
huntinsomd

Post by huntinsomd »

Very nice video!
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Looks like a clear winner to me, Crusher. I think the Hot Rod even beat out the other guys or really close for a 1 3/8 oz load.

I think he needs to rethink "old school" though. :) Longboards aren't TSS but TSS was around before them. He needs to shoot some Double XXs or similar to be old school. I also think he could significantly improve that lead pattern but I still don't think it'd be a 40 yard gun with it.

That Little Bantam is a cool little gun. I've got an 870 Junior from about 2009 that I believe has a 12" pull and an 18.75" barrel. I used to think it was 18" but Remington currently lists it at 18.75" online. Ive not had it out in a while so would need to break out a tape. I bought it for the kids back in Colorado before I knew anything about TSS. It's a tiny little gun that's not terribly easy for me to shoot. It doesn't have the cool camo finish though but the cheapo wood. I've never shot TSS through it.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Hobbes_mobile wrote: March 21st, 2023, 12:41 am Looks like a clear winner to me, Crusher. I think the Hot Rod even beat out the other guys or really close for a 1 3/8 oz load.

I think he needs to rethink "old school" though. :) Longboards aren't TSS but TSS was around before them. He needs to shoot some Double XXs or similar to be old school. I also think he could significantly improve that lead pattern but I still don't think it'd be a 40 yard gun with it.

That Little Bantam is a cool little gun. I've got an 870 Junior from about 2009 that I believe has a 12" pull and an 18.75" barrel. I used to think it was 18" but Remington currently lists it at 18.75" online. Ive not had it out in a while so would need to break out a tape. I bought it for the kids back in Colorado before I knew anything about TSS. It's a tiny little gun that's not terribly easy for me to shoot. It doesn't have the cool camo finish though but the cheapo wood. I've never shot TSS through it.
That guy who owns meadowcreekmounts mentioned to me he would have shurshot stocks for the 20ga soon. That would make it a fun lil gun!

I wish Daniel would shoot the Indiancreek but he’s stuck on the long choke. I prefer the 10” and pattern my guns accordingly. The 20” is not bad in mine. But he wants an evenly distributed pattern.

batsonbe

Post by batsonbe »

Hoobilly wrote: March 21st, 2023, 7:43 am
Hobbes_mobile wrote: March 21st, 2023, 12:41 am Looks like a clear winner to me, Crusher. I think the Hot Rod even beat out the other guys or really close for a 1 3/8 oz load.

That guy who owns meadowcreekmounts mentioned to me he would have shurshot stocks for the 20ga soon. That would make it a fun lil gun!

I wish Daniel would shoot the Indiancreek but he’s stuck on the long choke. I prefer the 10” and pattern my guns accordingly. The 20” is not bad in mine. But he wants an evenly distributed pattern.
I agree. Every pattern could have been improved if he’d shoot an Indian creek. Even at a .562 - .570. Your shells were the only ones that impressed me and even then there was a lot of room for improvement with a better choke.
I understand and acknowledge he’s happy and it gives him what he’s looking for in a setup. That’s all that matters.
Jbird22

Post by Jbird22 »

The Crusher is an appropriately named load if there ever was one!
Contact Info - 4XWADSLITTER@GMAIL.COM
Casey Napier

Post by Casey Napier »

Been messing with a Bantam 20" I believe is barrel length. Noticed its pretty finicky with what you feed it. Looks like his is definitely good enough at 40 with Foxtrot but I agree he could improve with an Indian Creek. Have not been real impressed with the Rectifire chokes in what patterns I have seen from them.

Casey
Jordan121787

Post by Jordan121787 »

I haven’t seen one shot out of those rectifiers that are impressive. That would be much better with just about anything else.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

My former Super Bantam did fine with a PG .570. Only other I tried was the factory choke and a PG .555 but the .570 performed best with Hal's 3" 1 5/8 load.
I gave it to my buddy's granddaughter and she loves it.
Gil
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

The discussion of changing POA/POI is a sure fire way for some to burn up ammo unnecessarily especially "counting clicks". There is no reason one should have to shoot 4 dove loads in zeroing in a shotgun. As has been discussed here by some, an easier method involves a steady, repeatable rest best done with either a lead sled or at minimum, a Workmate. After shooting at POA #1, with gun held firmly in place and the red dot covering POA #1, and the POI's center mass determined with a visible mark at center mass, the red dot is moved until it covers the POI's center mass mark. It is important that the gun is firmly held without movement and only the red dot is moved. This is best accomplished with two people. The shooter and someone else turning the windage/elevation at the direction called out by the shooter viewing the dot. I shoot one dove load at 15 yards . Then do the above. Then one TSS load at 40 and repeat the above procedure. I rarely do a confirming shot. There is always going to be slight differences in POI, an inch or two, shot to shot. It can become an exercise in futility chasing the POI until one realizes chasing the POI can become like a dog chasing its tail. Gil
Casey Napier

Post by Casey Napier »

I watch a good bit of pattern video's and it is beyond me why people don't use a larger backing to see the whole pattern? Old wrapping paper is cheap and by counting the number of shot in a turkey head without knowing if you are truly centered in the pattern seems unproductive.

Casey
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

A seemingly endless roll of construction paper is available from HD for about $10. I use wooden clothes pins to attach it to a steel banjo real estate sign. Plenty wide to capture the entire pattern. Gil
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

GLS wrote: March 27th, 2023, 2:23 pm A seemingly endless roll of construction paper is available from HD for about $10. I use wooden clothes pins to attach it to a steel banjo real estate sign. Plenty wide to capture the entire pattern. Gil
lowes has that roofing paper for 14 bucks and its wide enough

Chief Razor

Post by Chief Razor »

Yeah those rectifier chokes sure arent doing that fella any favors.
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

Not the smallest turkey gun. Saw a guy on YouTube reap one and shoot it with a Taurus Judge. :)
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Chief Razor wrote: March 31st, 2023, 6:34 pm Yeah those rectifier chokes sure arent doing that fella any favors.
For some reason he hasn’t shot Indiancreek’s chokes

But I read where another ammo company sent him Muller chokes to try

batsonbe

Post by batsonbe »

Hoobilly wrote: April 1st, 2023, 9:39 pm
Chief Razor wrote: March 31st, 2023, 6:34 pm Yeah those rectifier chokes sure arent doing that fella any favors.
For some reason he hasn’t shot Indiancreek’s chokes

But I read where another ammo company sent him Muller chokes to try
I think he will be more pleased with the rectifire from what I’ve read online about the mullers
pacecars

Post by pacecars »

My 14” TC Contender pistol 410 barrel is a little smaller also
dirtnap

Post by dirtnap »

GLS wrote: March 21st, 2023, 5:37 pm The discussion of changing POA/POI is a sure fire way for some to burn up ammo unnecessarily especially "counting clicks". There is no reason one should have to shoot 4 dove loads in zeroing in a shotgun. As has been discussed here by some, an easier method involves a steady, repeatable rest best done with either a lead sled or at minimum, a Workmate. After shooting at POA #1, with gun held firmly in place and the red dot covering POA #1, and the POI's center mass determined with a visible mark at center mass, the red dot is moved until it covers the POI's center mass mark. It is important that the gun is firmly held without movement and only the red dot is moved. This is best accomplished with two people. The shooter and someone else turning the windage/elevation at the direction called out by the shooter viewing the dot. I shoot one dove load at 15 yards . Then do the above. Then one TSS load at 40 and repeat the above procedure. I rarely do a confirming shot. There is always going to be slight differences in POI, an inch or two, shot to shot. It can become an exercise in futility chasing the POI until one realizes chasing the POI can become like a dog chasing its tail. Gil
No doubt. Been doing the method you describe with deer rifles for years. It is crazy how simple and effective it is.
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

Casey Napier wrote: March 27th, 2023, 1:19 pm I watch a good bit of pattern video's and it is beyond me why people don't use a larger backing to see the whole pattern? Old wrapping paper is cheap and by counting the number of shot in a turkey head without knowing if you are truly centered in the pattern seems unproductive.

Casey
This. Learned this lesson myself. As far as I’m concerned not shooting with proper backing is wasting time and ammo. Local DG sells posterboard for $1 a sheet. $5.35 in my neck of the woods is plenty to get your “FF3” on target. That’s barely above the cost of one of my “loads” and certainly cheaper than TSS…As others have said, there are other, even less expensive ways as well.
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)

Return to “Fox Trot Ammo”