SA28 full size stock

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
huntinsomd

SA28 full size stock

Post by huntinsomd »

Anybody know where to find a full size stock for a SA28? I bought the compact model and I would really like a longer stock for all purpose use. I'm 6'4" so the added length of pull would be nice. I would consider a trade if anyone would be interested. My gun has the black stock and it's like new.
Thanks,
Dave
Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: SA28 full size stock

Post by Samm4770 »

I think you sol I reached out to mossberg looking for parts for my sa28 and they responded back the guns come complete and there are no spare parts. Your Best bet would be find someone who wants to trade.
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

DIY a spacer. Never understood the compact craze, gun fit still matter for turks.
PennBirdy

Post by PennBirdy »

Slip over recoil pad would be the fastest fix and get you by
huntinsomd

Post by huntinsomd »

Thanks for the suggestions!

Dave
Glades

Post by Glades »

Dtrkyman wrote: March 17th, 2023, 3:57 pm DIY a spacer. Never understood the compact craze, gun fit still matter for turks.
The full length LOP of a shotgun requires proper shooting form, that means you have to lean forward on the gun to get proper cheek weld. When we hunt turkeys, often we are leaning back on a tree or twisted. If you are a blind hunter, that gets to sit on a chair and lean forward on the gun, the full length LOP might suit. But for run and gunners, we need the short stock. I have a 6’-8” wingspan, and shoot 12.5” LOP on a turkey gun.
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

Been running and gunning for 30 plus years with a full length stock, never once wished I wanted a shorter stock. Maybe because I starting with wing shooting and am comfortable with a proper length stock?

I remember a friend getting a youth 20ga slug gun, he wanted small and light, pretty much punched himself in the nose every time he pulled the trigger.
huntinsomd

Post by huntinsomd »

For me, the attraction of the compact gun was mostly for the short barrel. The short length of pull could work for most turkey hunting situations, but I'd like to use the gun for rabbits and maybe waterfowl. A 14"+ length of pull is short for me, but that would work much better.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Same here. I need all the length that I can get and then some. Most are 14 1/2" and I could use up to an inch more.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

Check out the Beartooth Products neoprene stock extension. On the couple which I have mounted for fiends, both wanted to use their compact shotguns for doves, after we determined the proper length, I glued the pads together w/ contact cement and taped the pad on w/ a Coban style removable tape.
huntinsomd

Post by huntinsomd »

decoykrvr wrote: March 19th, 2023, 1:03 pm Check out the Beartooth Products neoprene stock extension. On the couple which I have mounted for fiends, both wanted to use their compact shotguns for doves, after we determined the proper length, I glued the pads together w/ contact cement and taped the pad on w/ a Coban style removable tape.
I'll have to check that out.
Thanks
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Glades wrote: March 18th, 2023, 11:03 am
Dtrkyman wrote: March 17th, 2023, 3:57 pm DIY a spacer. Never understood the compact craze, gun fit still matter for turks.
The full length LOP of a shotgun requires proper shooting form, that means you have to lean forward on the gun to get proper cheek weld. When we hunt turkeys, often we are leaning back on a tree or twisted. If you are a blind hunter, that gets to sit on a chair and lean forward on the gun, the full length LOP might suit. But for run and gunners, we need the short stock. I have a 6’-8” wingspan, and shoot 12.5” LOP on a turkey gun.
Never heard of such. I've never hunted a blind and don't recall ever thinking shorter length of pull would help me in any way because I had my back against a tree. A shorter barrel, sure, but not a shorter length of pull. If it works for you, great, but it has no impact on the style of hunting one does.
Glades

Post by Glades »

Hobbes_mobile wrote: March 19th, 2023, 6:39 pm
Never heard of such. I've never hunted a blind and don't recall ever thinking shorter length of pull would help me in any way because I had my back against a tree. A shorter barrel, sure, but not a shorter length of pull. If it works for you, great, but it has no impact on the style of hunting one does.
Very interesting take. I would find it incredibly hard to shoot a full stock with your shoulders behind your waist, while leaned 30+ degrees back. Also a pain to switch for a left handed shot with a full stock.I can switch from right to left hand without much movement of the gun.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Glades wrote: March 24th, 2023, 11:14 am

Very interesting take. I would find it incredibly hard to shoot a full stock with your shoulders behind your waist, while leaned 30+ degrees back. Also a pain to switch for a left handed shot with a full stock.I can switch from right to left hand without much movement of the gun.
I'm not sure I understand your set up description of the 30 degrees behind your waist. I've never switched hands but can see the occasional benefit. You are likely correct that a shorter LOP makes it easier.

The "compact" gun is a relatively new development in turkey hunting. The smaller guns used to be referred to as "Youth" guns and that's what folks purchased them for. Marketing them as "compact" guns has came about as a result of the light weight "sub gun" craze brought on by the capability of TSS. I don't have a problem with any of it if that's a preference but don't believe a full LOP has ever cost me a turkey or limited how I hunt.
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

Non issue shooting off hand, have shot several over the years lefty. Whatever works for you.
huntinsomd

Post by huntinsomd »

Ended up going with a Limbsaver slip-on pad for now. The small fits like a glove and adds an inch or more to the length of pull.

Dave
Glades

Post by Glades »

Hobbes_mobile wrote: March 24th, 2023, 11:49 am

I'm not sure I understand your set up description of the 30 degrees behind your waist. I've never switched hands but can see the occasional benefit. You are likely correct that a shorter LOP makes it easier.

The "compact" gun is a relatively new development in turkey hunting. The smaller guns used to be referred to as "Youth" guns and that's what folks purchased them for. Marketing them as "compact" guns has came about as a result of the light weight "sub gun" craze brought on by the capability of TSS. I don't have a problem with any of it if that's a preference but don't believe a full LOP has ever cost me a turkey or limited how I hunt.
Maybe I can explain this better.

When you are standing straight up, your shoulders are in line with your hips/waist. Proper shotgunning form requires shoulders in front of hip/waist, and weight distributed in the front of the feet. Look at any ISSF skeet shooter. When seating in a leaned back position or reclined against a tree, the shoulders are behind the hip/waist. A full sized stock is designed to fit a shooter when using proper form, and therefore leaning forward. At this point the face contacts the stock in the correct spot for proper alignment. A full size stock cannot be used at all from a leaned back position, unless the shooter leans vertical or forward. A short stock allows you to shoot while leaning back, and still achieve proper cheek weld and LOS.
A short stock can also be handled quicker in front of your face to make a quick switch from right handed to left handed. A couple of inches difference makes all the difference in the world.
On Tuesday I shot a longbeard at my 4 o'clock. The bird spotted me before I spotted it, and began walking away. Made a quick switch to left handed and busted him at 35 yards. The short stock and reflex had a lot to do with getting that bird.

Hey, people are welcome to use whatever they like. I would just rather not take the handicap of a full stock turkey hunting.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Glades wrote: March 27th, 2023, 10:52 am
Hobbes_mobile wrote: March 24th, 2023, 11:49 am

Maybe I can explain this better.

When you are standing straight up, your shoulders are in line with your hips/waist. Proper shotgunning form requires shoulders in front of hip/waist, and weight distributed in the front of the feet. Look at any ISSF skeet shooter. When seating in a leaned back position or reclined against a tree, the shoulders are behind the hip/waist. A full sized stock is designed to fit a shooter when using proper form, and therefore leaning forward. At this point the face contacts the stock in the correct spot for proper alignment. A full size stock cannot be used at all from a leaned back position, unless the shooter leans vertical or forward. A short stock allows you to shoot while leaning back, and still achieve proper cheek weld and LOS.
A short stock can also be handled quicker in front of your face to make a quick switch from right handed to left handed. A couple of inches difference makes all the difference in the world.
On Tuesday I shot a longbeard at my 4 o'clock. The bird spotted me before I spotted it, and began walking away. Made a quick switch to left handed and busted him at 35 yards. The short stock and reflex had a lot to do with getting that bird.

Hey, people are welcome to use whatever they like. I would just rather not take the handicap of a full stock turkey hunting.
Congrats on the gobbler.

Return to “Small Bore”