Which 28?

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
Prospector

Which 28?

Post by Prospector »

So, if you do not know, I have been considering a 28gauge turkey gun. I really like the Mossberg SA-28 TT. So a somewhat local (80miles) outdoor store advertised they had one. As I like to at least handle a gun before commiting, I called and was told it was gone…. But they had a Tristar 28 in the same format. When I looked at it online I realized it is a sharp piece of weaponry as well. I have looked thru posts and reviews on both ( all mostly +), however, I respectfully request some of you fellers in sight.
1) how’s the stock trigger ? 2) stock chokes? 3) if you have shot/ handled both; Do you have a preference? Any other caveats are also welcome… or, should I just throw my cares to the wind ( and my $) and just go get the Tristar?!? Thankyou
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
Jstocks

Re: Which 28?

Post by Jstocks »

I had a Tristar. It had a sharp kick and I hated shooting it. The trigger guard would hit me right in the middle knuckle every time.

For all transparent, it every well could have been my fault. I had the stock cut for a shorter LOP to fit my daughter.

I had a Remington 1100 that I loved and regret selling it. I did not love shooting heavy tss loads in the Tristar. It shot well.

Another transparency.. 2 missed turkeys. Granted my fault most likely again, however…….lost confidence in the gun. It had to go.

It patterned decent enough. I don’t remember the count on numbers in the 10”, but I do remember I had plenty of confidence in the pattern density.
dferg0910

Post by dferg0910 »

I have the Tristar 28ga. and love it shoots lights out has a little bit more recoil than my 20ga. winchester sx3 turkey because the 28ga. is a lot lighter . I dont care for mossberg guns
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hookedspur »

It will be hard to find a 28 that shoots better than the SA-28 youth or compact by Mossberg.
It is a sweet little rig.
Roost 1

Post by Roost 1 »

Another vote for the SA-28 or the SA-28 TT
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

There's not a more practical 28 ga. than a CZ Bobwhite with double triggers. DocHoliday's rig is one that seems to fit the bill. Left barrel choked for distance, right for close in. Instant barrel selection with 2 triggers. Gen 2 is chambered for 3" I believe. The Gen 1, 2.75" but 3" loads aren't necessary as there are some great loads with the shorter hulls. Gil
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

GLS wrote: March 16th, 2023, 12:00 pm There's not a more practical 28 ga. than a CZ Bobwhite with double triggers. DocHoliday's rig is one that seems to fit the bill. Left barrel choked for distance, right for close in. Instant barrel selection with 2 triggers. Gen 2 is chambered for 3" I believe. The Gen 1, 2.75" but 3" loads aren't necessary as there are some great loads with the shorter hulls. Gil
I’ve wanted one for awhile. The yildiz are nice as well.
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

GLS wrote: March 16th, 2023, 12:00 pm There's not a more practical 28 ga. than a CZ Bobwhite with double triggers. DocHoliday's rig is one that seems to fit the bill. Left barrel choked for distance, right for close in. Instant barrel selection with 2 triggers. Gen 2 is chambered for 3" I believe. The Gen 1, 2.75" but 3" loads aren't necessary as there are some great loads with the shorter hulls. Gil
I love the idea of a double, however, research has shown me that getting the proper poi between barrels usually requires work that I cannot do myself at this point. Am I wrong there? Anyway, there is the thought of a double one day as I like the look and feel.
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Shoot Doc a pm. He has rigged out a half dozen or more for friends and family and could give you more info about issues, etc. I don't think he had POA/POI issues. He used a Marble post and Skinner Peep mounted on the rib. Last week I gifted my Bobwhite to a friend's grandson. I used it strictly as a quail and woodcock gun and replaced it with an Iside 28 for the same use as the CZ. The CZ bobwhite was a fine little gun that exceeded my expectations of quality. Gil
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

You can adjust POA/POI by choke filing.
I had a double yildiz 410 that was close.
Grassypond

Post by Grassypond »

From what I was told…the Tristar and Mossberg 28ga autos come from the same factory in Turkey. Idk if that’s true but they do look similar. I’ve got the SA-28 TT and it impressed the hell outta me. Trigger was decent but nothing special. I never shot the factory choke but have seen several people say there’s shot well.
Krm944

Post by Krm944 »

Grassypond wrote: March 16th, 2023, 7:24 pm From what I was told…the Tristar and Mossberg 28ga autos come from the same factory in Turkey. Idk if that’s true but they do look similar. I’ve got the SA-28 TT and it impressed the hell outta me. Trigger was decent but nothing special. I never shot the factory choke but have seen several people say there’s shot well.
I understand this to be correct as well. I just bought the sa410 and the viper g2 turkey is same gun but has pistol grip.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Jstocks wrote: March 16th, 2023, 5:13 pm You can adjust POA/POI by choke filing.
I had a double yildiz 410 that was close.
Poor Country Preacher gave detailed information in an old thread about what he did. I don't believe DocHoliday had issues, hopefully he'll chime in soon. Gil
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

Caveat: my experience is NOT with trying to make both barrels shoot to SAME POI One far (tight choke) one near (cylinder, skeet 1, imp cyl, or skeet 2).

That said, any issues I’ve had over now 15 guns has been remedied by peep sights and either a HiViz or Marbles fiber optic front sight (depending on elevation needs)

The issues others have had have come when trying to make both barrels shoot to the same spot at some distance down range. That is an entirely different set of circumstances.
NRA Benefactor Life Member
hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

Correct mossberg and tristar made in same building over seas. I've been wanting to get a semi 28 for duck hunting and the way my g2 410 is I wouldn't hesitate to get either or in a 28. But I believe the 28 moss only comes in 26" barrel if that matters to tri has 28" but in their "fancier" models

Return to “Small Bore”