Public land scouting

Post your favorite YouTube hunting videos here.
Blue Ridge NC

Public land scouting

Post by Blue Ridge NC »

You can figure out by the title I hunt public land. Like all turkey hunters, I scout before the season opens. My approach is to scout several areas in two or more separate areas. This way if a spot is taken I have other options. Are there any more public land hunters here who want to discuss scouting?

Tight patterns
Christian, reloader, trapper and apprentice woodsman
NWTF member
Respectfully
Terry C
Proverbs 27:17
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Public land scouting

Post by GLS »

Nothing betrays a good listening spot like piles of TP left at the spot. Shock gobble only. Nothing screws up a bird more than pre-season calling them up. Once I hear a gobble, I move on to another spot. This season will start with a full canopy limiting distance a bird can be heard. Gil
batsonbe

Post by batsonbe »

I’ve been scouting since January. Even if the birds aren’t in the areas I located them in I have confidence that they’re in the general areas. I’d like to go back and listen for a gobbler prior to season opening. If that doesn’t happen I’ll still go back in mid day to afternoon and hunt these places.
That knowledge is better to me than spending time in spots with zero turkey sign.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

In person knowledge of the terrain greatly enhances and is crucial to maximize hunter success. Look for areas where access precludes other hunters from cutting you off and walk and scout further from the roads than a lot of folks are willing to go. Scout like you hunt, get in early, cover a lot of ground, listen, and read the sign.
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

I cover ground in my vehicle now, then once season is here I can park in known spots where birds are and hunt from there. Out west I may hump 15 miles in a day, making a large loop around likely areas, the birds are generally in isolated spots and require you to cover ground.

Most loals cover ground with their truck or SXS, I fell they drive by lots of birds, get over one ridge from a road and hear entirely different country.

I do not call at all, not even locators, I am looking for sign more than listening for gobbles.
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

Birds around me tend to break up and move about 2 weeks before season opens. That is the time to really scout and make notes. Otherwise get out and walk the ground to learn lay of the ground. It's always good to have a A,B,C, and D plan of attack. I do this on my private spots too.
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

swampchicken wrote: February 27th, 2023, 12:07 pm ...get out and walk the ground to learn lay of the ground...
Agree.
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.

Return to “GNTV”