Truck Decision????

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Truck Decision????

Post by CamoMan4025 »

OK, October 26th, me and a buddy are leaving and heading to Craig, CO for a 6 day elk hunt. We are splitting it up into a 3 day drive. We will grab a hotel room at night then head out the next day until we arrive.

There are 2 options on the table as far as what truck we take. I have a 2020 Silverado LTZ and he has a 2019 Silverado RST. Mine is a full 4 door truck with a short bed. His is a 4 door truck, but the back doors are not full size like mine, maybe 6"-7" difference, but his bed is probably a tad longer. Mine may have a couple more bells and whistles, but not a huge difference.

He told me......Kevin if we take your truck, I will pay for all the gas. If we take my truck then we will split the gas...........

I have no idea why this is bugging the pee out of me, but I just can't decide what to do. Rounding up on the high end it will be 4,000 miles out and back. Our trucks will hopefully get 17-18 mpg.

I've polled several people and it's about 50/50 on their answers.

HELP ME OUT :compress:
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Truck Decision????

Post by soiltester »

CamoMan,
My 1st thought, is what, "Needs" to be locked inside the truck at night on travel. ;)
Other than that, maybe your body sizes ??
I git' long great with my 19 Ranger cab & 1/2, 4 door and don't need a full 4 door pick-up :thumbup:

I can't attest to those that "RIDE ONLY" with me, on trips :LMAO:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

They are both full size trucks. We will have our rifles and they will go into the hotel room with us. Comfort will be the same in both trucks.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I’d take his truck and split the gas.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

Patrick McManus said the best hunting vehicle is always someone else’s!
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Which truck does your gear fit in the best as far as what can ride in the back and what can be locked in the cab? You won't want gear in the back over night at the hotel. I would probably carry rifles in every night but not all the other gear. It looks like your half of the fuel is around $450. I'd probably prefer to pay the $450 and not have those on my truck.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

By the way......good luck on the hunt.
ShortMagFan

Post by ShortMagFan »

I’m always partial to my own truck
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

4000 miles on someone else's truck is a lot better than 4000 miles on my truck. Let him drive his truck. Gil
Roost 1

Post by Roost 1 »

He obviously don’t want to drive… I’d take my truck and let him pay for the gas. I’m assuming you prolly won’t be using your truck much once you get there if hunting with an outfitter.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

The only thing that will be in the bed of the truck is a couple large coolers to bring meat back in. Everything else will be in the back seat area of the truck. Both seats fold up and there should be enough room in either truck.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

In that case, if you don't really have a preference and he's really worried about taking his own, drive your truck.

I'd still require sharing the actual driving duties.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

interestingly, mileage on a truck is not currently affecting the resale value as it has historically. I bought a 4-wheel drive, 4 door, long bed, 2018, Chevy 1500 Silverado, which had been owned by a friend who was coerced into trading it on a diesel Chevy Duramax , with the caveat that I had first tight of refusal on the truck from the dealer. A year after buying the vehicle from the dealer, at a price less than what I had agreed to pay my friend including from the dealer, 2 new tires, brake work, title, taxes and fees, I had put @ 14,000 miles on the truck and the dealer offered to buy it back for what I paid for it. Gas prices are going back up just in time for your trip which is something to think about.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Turkinator wrote: October 5th, 2022, 4:36 pm Patrick McManus said the best hunting vehicle is always someone else’s!
:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:

Kevin
You drive your truck you get to pick the radio stations
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I like the way you think.....Hoo!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

CamoMan4025 wrote: October 5th, 2022, 10:02 pm I like the way you think.....Hoo!
:LMAO:

Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

On DIY trips it's always best to be in your truck. You can find out on those hunts that when things get tough, a hunting buddy may be a bitch and is ready to go home in a few days. If it's his truck, your screwed.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

8000 miles off your trucks warranty is a lot of miles. Gas for 8000 miles at today's prices is a lot of money. Its kinda a coin toss. I prefer my own truck whenever possible so I guess I would drive. Drive safe,hunt safe,and good luck.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

redarrow wrote: October 6th, 2022, 9:32 am 8000 miles off your trucks warranty is a lot of miles. Gas for 8000 miles at today's prices is a lot of money. Its kinda a coin toss. I prefer my own truck whenever possible so I guess I would drive. Drive safe,hunt safe,and good luck.
It's only 4,000 miles total. Yes, that's what my consideration is....the warranty. It's currently under factory warranty until March 2023. I have 19,000 miles on it, so I'd be at 23,000 +/- when we get back. Time will run out before I put the 36,000 on it. I am probably going to buy an extended warranty the beginning of next year so it picks up when my factory warranty stops. I'm not sure if having an extra 4,000 miles on my truck would be a price difference when I purchase the extended warranty.

We are doing a guided hunt, so it's 6 days of hunting. Ain't nobody leaving early unless there are 2 elk down! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Hobbes_mobile wrote: October 6th, 2022, 9:09 am On DIY trips it's always best to be in your truck. You can find out on those hunts that when things get tough, a hunting buddy may be a bitch and is ready to go home in a few days. If it's his truck, your screwed.
I like how you think! :LMAO:

jdjnicholson

Post by jdjnicholson »

Take the one with the best rated tires.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Chief Razor

Post by Chief Razor »

Tires would be a good tie breaker. If it were me and both are good mechanically id take mine and let him pay for the gas.

Have you hunted with this outfitter in the past? If not and they turn out to be a lemon you might find yourself branching out for an impromptu DIY public land hunt.
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

Chief Razor wrote: October 6th, 2022, 5:39 pm Tires would be a good tie breaker. If it were me and both are good mechanically id take mine and let him pay for the gas.

Have you hunted with this outfitter in the past? If not and they turn out to be a lemon you might find yourself branching out for an impromptu DIY public land hunt.
What the Chief said, just saying. Definitely a "my roof, my rules" person, ask my kids ! BTW, BombBoy, pics or it didn't happen. Goodluck, shoot straight and pull the trigger slowly when on target. :thumbup:
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Thanks guys.....tires are exactly the same, factory Goodyear Wranglers, both have 19,000 miles on them.
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Hobbes_mobile wrote: October 6th, 2022, 9:09 am On DIY trips it's always best to be in your truck. You can find out on those hunts that when things get tough, a hunting buddy may be a bitch and is ready to go home in a few days. If it's his truck, your screwed.
Or camo man maybe a bitch and the other guy is screwed. Lol.
Who knows tough decisions. I don’t know him but I get where you coming from. I figured camoman is not a bitch so take yours if he’s paying for gas. But I know he said that but I’d split it anyway. Only you know your friend. Not us.
Good luck out there. Hope y’all have to buy more coolers to bring back meat.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)

Return to “Gobbler Talk”