Weatherby element turkey 20ga

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
Skimerhorn

Weatherby element turkey 20ga

Post by Skimerhorn »

Anybody on here have one? I'm thinking about getting the 20ga with the 22 in barrel. I was just wondering if they had any major issues I should know about. I couldn't find much by a quick Google search. I was looking at that or the sa20. Only plus for the weatherby was it was already dipped. That would save more money down the road then a drill and tap.
Tail Feathers

Re: Weatherby element turkey 20ga

Post by Tail Feathers »

The SA 20 has a turkey version. Camo stocks with black metal. picatinny rail included and fiber optic circle-dot sights. 22” barrel. I haven’t shot mine much yet but I like it so far. Add an Mcarbo trigger spring for a great trigger.
Sorry, I like Weatherby but have no experience with their Element.
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Skimerhorn wrote: September 25th, 2022, 2:51 pm Anybody on here have one? I'm thinking about getting the 20ga with the 22 in barrel. I was just wondering if they had any major issues I should know about. I couldn't find much by a quick Google search. I was looking at that or the sa20. Only plus for the weatherby was it was already dipped. That would save more money down the road then a drill and tap.
How soon you need a 20?

Weatherby makes good guns. I’ve not even held the Element so I can’t say how good it feels etc.

If your wanting a SA20 Tactical turkey in camo you need to email Mossberg and tell them they need to build one asap like the one I just had choke thread job done on. Several others have already emailed them. Mention GobblerNation and Brice Hensley. I’m betting they make it.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Riverrat

Post by Riverrat »

Hoobilly wrote: September 25th, 2022, 9:26 pm
Skimerhorn wrote: September 25th, 2022, 2:51 pm Anybody on here have one? I'm thinking about getting the 20ga with the 22 in barrel. I was just wondering if they had any major issues I should know about. I couldn't find much by a quick Google search. I was looking at that or the sa20. Only plus for the weatherby was it was already dipped. That would save more money down the road then a drill and tap.
How soon you need a 20?

Weatherby makes good guns. I’ve not even held the Element so I can’t say how good it feels etc.

If your wanting a SA20 Tactical turkey in camo you need to email Mossberg and tell them they need to build one asap like the one I just had choke thread job done on. Several others have already emailed them. Mention GobblerNation and Brice Hensley. I’m betting they make it.
I wished they would build me a stock for my ole 835. Its busted up like a bag of pretzels crumbled up. Way to many loads shot threw the girl.
Wasn't born, I was hatched!!!!!!!!!!!! and raised in Tennessee.
Skimerhorn

Post by Skimerhorn »

How soon you need a 20?

What made you choose the tactical over the regular sa20?
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Skimerhorn wrote: September 25th, 2022, 10:06 pm
How soon you need a 20?

What made you choose the tactical over the regular sa20?
Short barrel
Has a pic rail for the FF4. Fits so good. I can’t wait to kill some gobblers with it this fall

Jordan121787

Post by Jordan121787 »

I’ve held it in the store and was impressed. I liked it a lot. No need to D/T if you use a meadow creek. It was nice and light.
toasty

Post by toasty »

The Element is a inertia system based on the benelli and the franchi shotguns. The standard Weatherby SA20 gun is a gas recoil system based on the Beretta AL system which was developed 30+ years ago. In my opinion, the element is more reliable and easier to clean, probably not quite a soft shooting, but hard to tell the difference. I have both SA and Element and it has been a solid gun and a solid reputation. I would take the element over the SA20.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

toasty wrote: September 26th, 2022, 11:43 am The Element is a inertia system based on the benelli and the franchi shotguns. The standard Weatherby SA20 gun is a gas recoil system based on the Beretta AL system which was developed 30+ years ago. In my opinion, the element is more reliable and easier to clean, probably not quite a soft shooting, but hard to tell the difference. I have both SA and Element and it has been a solid gun and a solid reputation. I would take the element over the SA20.
That’s as good a thumbs up as a feller needs

Skimerhorn

Post by Skimerhorn »

toasty wrote: September 26th, 2022, 11:43 am The Element is a inertia system based on the benelli and the franchi shotguns. The standard Weatherby SA20 gun is a gas recoil system based on the Beretta AL system which was developed 30+ years ago. In my opinion, the element is more reliable and easier to clean, probably not quite a soft shooting, but hard to tell the difference. I have both SA and Element and it has been a solid gun and a solid reputation. I would take the element over the SA20.
Thanks. I'm gonna put my hands on both this weekend and see how they feel
Skimerhorn

Post by Skimerhorn »

I think I'm going with the weatherby
Jordan121787

Post by Jordan121787 »

Skimerhorn wrote: October 1st, 2022, 12:28 pm I think I'm going with the weatherby
What did you think?
Chief Razor

Post by Chief Razor »

Very interested in one of these as well.
Skimerhorn

Post by Skimerhorn »

It fit good and was light. If felt better then the sa20. And it's already dipped. Just need to drill and tap it
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

Wouldn’t mind one of these but curious if someone makes a shorter lop stock?
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

If anyone would happen to know the true weight of the 20 gauge Element would you care to let me know? I am seriously thinking about buying one if they are under 6 pounds. TIA
Casey Napier

Post by Casey Napier »

Why are turkey specific guns coming not drilled/tapped! Manufacturers are missing the boat on this simple selling point IMO. They need to have adjustable triggers also. I like how Mossberg has incorporated the recessed Red dot sight attachment system to some of their 2023 turkey models but unsure why they dropped the "Lightning Trigger System" that they had out a few years back. If they had both incorporated in their new turkey models I and I know of several people who would buy one and I don't even need another turkey gun. LOP needs to be adjustable also as it seems most still have LOP designed more for wing shooting than turkey hunting. All just my opinions but I do believe that manufacturers are missing out on the perfect turkey specific guns.

Casey
TurkeyTaco

Post by TurkeyTaco »

One lean mean turkey killing machine!! Added a rail mount from Meadow creek mounts and a FF3 and she’s ready to go.
Attachments
2FCFE70A-F08B-41EE-BE9D-0B1ABF8B7E95.jpeg
45FD827B-1420-436E-AF9E-0E65EF31654A.jpeg
4BB0D3DC-78E4-4655-BE3A-66C0497506D8.jpeg
Appalachian American

Post by Appalachian American »

sumtoy mount with Burris fastfire 3
sumtoy mount with Burris fastfire 3
Apex smalltown blend 7.5 over 9’s @42yards
Apex smalltown blend 7.5 over 9’s @42yards
drakehunter_03

Post by drakehunter_03 »

What choke are you running on your weatherby element ?
BirdCatcher

Post by BirdCatcher »

Appalachian American wrote: April 1st, 2023, 5:39 pm 80E63DA8-7E94-49AF-8103-DFD031581C7A.jpegC10E843E-B5D2-47CF-B5DC-6A50670B62EA.jpeg
I just ordered one on sale for $469.

Which choke are you using?
“What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer
The Showstopper...

Post by The Showstopper... »

Im dropping mine off tuesday to be drilled and taped for a sumtoy base,I have been sick with Covid, my grandmother is on palative care in hospital and my purebred lab had puppies end of March so I have been busy and haven't been able to get gun up to gunsmiths but tuesday afternoon after work I am dropping it off,I should have it back by next weekend and I'll be patterning it weekend before season with a few different chokes and shells.

I personally like the fit and feel of gun, I have all kinds of shotguns for turkey hunting with all different lop, this gun fits me fine but I am not a smaller guy either,sure its not a shurshot stock or a mossberg 500 bantam but It is one of the better feeling guns I own, I have heard nothing but good things,I put a set of williams fiber optics on it,so ill dial it in with them,then attatch my red dot and pattern & dial it in.
Am I the only one tired of the online whine-a-billy's?.........OGF.... :wave:

I am a proud member of the " Fringe Minority".......... :canada:

Pucker up Turdeau................and kiss my Lanark County Redneck Ass
WV Ridge Reaper
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by WV Ridge Reaper »

I had the chance to shoot one this week..my take from it was over all for the money it’s a decent gun.

Pros
It actually shot poa/poi
Dip job was top notch for being a off the shelf dip
Fit was good

Cons
Trigger had a large amount of creep
Would not cycle light dove loads
Bolt spring seemed weak

Just like any other gun we buy,spend some more money on it and it would be a top contender…a wolf spring,some trigger work I’d hunt it..I’m not a big dove hunter but it would be nice to pull the trigger all 3 times without doing it manually..

Ran a load of TSS 8s 1 7/16 load down it with the lead only turkey choke it came with and done 162
The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword
yelpy

Post by yelpy »

BirdCatcher wrote: April 8th, 2023, 10:34 am
Appalachian American wrote: April 1st, 2023, 5:39 pm 80E63DA8-7E94-49AF-8103-DFD031581C7A.jpegC10E843E-B5D2-47CF-B5DC-6A50670B62EA.jpeg
I just ordered one on sale for $469.

Which choke are you using?
I ended up buying one also. LOL. Couldnt pass it up. Thanks for the heads up. If it patterns better than the M2 I will sell the M2 and get a 28.
yelpy

Post by yelpy »

turkeyinstrut wrote: March 30th, 2023, 11:40 pm If anyone would happen to know the true weight of the 20 gauge Element would you care to let me know? I am seriously thinking about buying one if they are under 6 pounds. TIA
Just picked one up. It weighs in at 6.2lb on my digital scale.

Return to “Small Bore”