Food plot success

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Food plot success

Post by Samm4770 »

I always pant a few small food plots here in western New York every year and it’s worth all the hard work when you get pictures of animals in your plot! Always a bonus when you get mom and poults wandering in! Enjoy
Attachments
5EE66D61-2ECF-4266-97E3-171CC2EA9D39.jpeg
84805416-8DB5-4F5C-BA3E-9EBFA9B7651C.jpeg
403FB348-6A04-40B2-8ACF-95847D532829.jpeg
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Food plot success

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Good deal.... They like it... What ya growing
Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Samm4770 »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: August 26th, 2022, 8:51 pm Good deal.... They like it... What ya growing
7 card stud by evolve
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Samm4770 wrote: August 26th, 2022, 9:33 pm
ICDEDTURKES wrote: August 26th, 2022, 8:51 pm Good deal.... They like it... What ya growing
7 card stud by evolve
Keep them pictures coming!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Hope you can draw in a bunch more turkey than I have on my plot and my plot deer are wwwaaayyyy too mony;)
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

soiltester wrote: August 27th, 2022, 10:31 am Hope you can draw in a bunch more turkey than I have on my plot and my plot deer are wwwaaayyyy too mony;)
Sounds like you need a couple more youth hunters for deer season.

I do identify as a youth hunter for deer season. :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Chief Razor

Post by Chief Razor »

Looking good. Hope they dont over graze it before season comes in!
Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Samm4770 »

Chief Razor wrote: August 28th, 2022, 8:46 pm Looking good. Hope they dont over graze it before season comes in!
Knowing my luck they will eat it all the day before season lol
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Samm4770 wrote: August 28th, 2022, 8:54 pm
Chief Razor wrote: August 28th, 2022, 8:46 pm Looking good. Hope they dont over graze it before season comes in!
I had something like that happen had some small brassica plots when I was in college, left that Sunday they looked big and beautiful full grown.... Got a good frost came home go to hunt oer friday morning, eaten to the ground
Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Samm4770 »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: August 28th, 2022, 10:34 pm
Samm4770 wrote: August 28th, 2022, 8:54 pm
I had something like that happen had some small brassica plots when I was in college, left that Sunday they looked big and beautiful full grown.... Got a good frost came home go to hunt oer friday morning, eaten to the ground
That happen a few years back on a turnip plot I had was growing great and left one weekend it was one doing great came back the following weekend and was ate right to ground.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Here's my plot today planted Aug 16 radish and crimson clover..... I gave it a shot of my homebrew about 5 days ago, literally took off in 24 hrs.... This morning was perfect cloudy and calm.gave it another shot 10-1.....
I did about a week ago give a tiny section 5-1 and it's visibly taller than the rest

Only regret didn't double the crimson, stuff is growing good
KIMG7425.JPG
Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Samm4770 »

Looks great! I might need your home brew lol
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Samm4770 wrote: September 5th, 2022, 7:18 pm Looks great! I might need your home brew lol
Google comfrey tea fertilizer pretty remarkable stuff easy to grow harvest and make a foiliar outta
Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Samm4770 »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: September 5th, 2022, 8:44 pm
Samm4770 wrote: September 5th, 2022, 7:18 pm Looks great! I might need your home brew lol
Google comfrey tea fertilizer pretty remarkable stuff easy to grow harvest and make a foiliar outta
Very interesting I will have to look deeper into this! Nothing beats organic home grown fertilizer
Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Samm4770 »

Food plot looks to be coming along nicely! Growing nicely from the first time I posted pics. How is everyone food plots doing ?
Attachments
0A756755-A38C-45AA-B47A-1CAC1E762F45.jpeg
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Looking good I sprayed my stuff Saturday, by Sunday morning looked like it had grown a bunch

The forecast for Sunday afternoon n today Monday was for rain so I over-seeded 120lbs of oats.... What a PIA first started our with hand spreader wide open was getting no where fast than I used a push spreader not much better... Only really flung when hopper was half full.oe less so fill fill fill....

I know oats aren't ideal for overseeding and most use rye, but with the incoming weather it ever gonna work this was the perfect scenario to get good seed to soil.... It started raining about 4 and was just letting up at 3am when I called it a night.... It poured hard at times... If it didn't take I'll just over seed with rye next week...

Gonna spray my stuff Wednesday again.... You can really see it take effect in 24 hrs....

I am really regretting not doubling oreven tripling the crimson... I was look at stand alone rates and as a blend rates.... It's all over and really filling in but sure I could have poured it to.it without competing with itself....

Here's a pic of the clover and some radish.... I do have a few grasses coming in but shocked how few weeds for not nuking first.... Went to two of my buddies plots last week that nuked and they are way worse off... I'm shocked
KIMG7531.JPG
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: September 12th, 2022, 9:50 am Looking good I sprayed my stuff Saturday, by Sunday morning looked like it had grown a bunch

The forecast for Sunday afternoon n today Monday was for rain so I over-seeded 120lbs of oats.... What a PIA first started our with hand spreader wide open was getting no where fast than I used a push spreader not much better... Only really flung when hopper was half full.oe less so fill fill fill.... Plot got all trampled

I know oats aren't ideal for overseeding and most use rye, but with the incoming weather it ever gonna work this was the perfect scenario to get good seed to soil.... It started raining about 4 and was just letting up at 3am when I called it a night.... It poured hard at times... If it didn't take I'll just over seed with rye next week...

Gonna spray my stuff Wednesday again.... You can really see it take effect in 24 hrs....

I am really regretting not doubling oreven tripling the crimson... I was look at stand alone rates and as a blend rates.... It's all over and really filling in but sure I could have poured it to.it without competing with itself....

Here's a pic of the clover and some radish.... I do have a few grasses coming in but shocked how few weeds for not nuking first.... Went to two of my buddies plots last week that nuked and they are way worse off... I'm shocked

KIMG7531.JPG
Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Samm4770 »

Coming along nice! I mixed turnips in with the 7 card stud I’m curious to see they are coming
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

KIMG7860.JPG
I thought think 5-1 the other day, went back tonight to feed again... Think I found the sweet spot at 5-1

I'mma hammer down every 3-4 days.... I have a ton of the concentrated tea, it's free and I like doing it.... Put on ESPN radio let boogs run around
Chief Razor

Post by Chief Razor »

Mowed my clover for hopefully the last time this year. Will likely put a little winter rye in it first part of October
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Chief Razor wrote: September 18th, 2022, 6:48 pm Mowed my clover for hopefully the last time this year. Will likely put a little winter rye in it first part of October
I broadcast some winter rye the other day for the rain that never materialized, in the corners where my other stuff isn't thick.... I also sprayed and raked one of my lanes and broadcasted it

Still have a bag.... Taking a wait and see attitude..... I don't wanna plant hoping oats take.... Eyes a great soil builder but it can get away from ya too....
Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Samm4770 »

I had some morning visitors todays !
Attachments
AC56BFD5-7308-47B0-95CF-9940D313F97E.jpeg
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Awww they're so cute when they're little
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Just came in from spreading 120lbs of winter rye.... We had a freeze yesterday now a three day rain event.... Gonna be decent now for a week 60ish with lows in 40s....

Alot of guys plant their beginning of September here but that's to early gets tall and.stemmy

My food plot czar buddy gonna kill me... Kept saying anything but rye... It's a pia to take care of if you don't kill it early....
Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Samm4770 »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: September 24th, 2022, 12:12 pm Just came in from spreading 120lbs of winter rye.... We had a freeze yesterday now a three day rain event.... Gonna be decent now for a week 60ish with lows in 40s....

Alot of guys plant their beginning of September here but that's to early gets tall and.stemmy

My food plot czar buddy gonna kill me... Kept saying anything but rye... It's a pia to take care of if you don't kill it early....
If you plant it they will come lol

Return to “Gobbler Talk”