Mobil threading

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
toasty

Re: Mobil threading

Post by toasty »

The mobil choke for a 410 is 1/2x28 thread. Any gunsmith or decent machinist with a lathe could in theory cut the choke. I have a couple 410s with mobil chokes and the chokes are not all interchangeable. I run them through a 1/2-28 die and they are good to go. I have not threaded a barrel myself, but did run a tap through a turkish barrel to clean it up. Going to try it on a cut barrel yildiz tk36 when I get some time. Not responsible if you read this, try it, and ruin your barrel.
duckslut

Post by duckslut »

toasty wrote: July 1st, 2022, 1:16 am The mobil choke for a 410 is 1/2x28 thread. Any gunsmith or decent machinist with a lathe could in theory cut the choke. I have a couple 410s with mobil chokes and the chokes are not all interchangeable. I run them through a 1/2-28 die and they are good to go. I have not threaded a barrel myself, but did run a tap through a turkish barrel to clean it up. Going to try it on a cut barrel yildiz tk36 when I get some time. Not responsible if you read this, try it, and ruin your barrel.
I'm trying to get my hands on a Yildiz thread or stevens 301 tap and reamer for 410. Impossible I think
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

duckslut wrote: July 1st, 2022, 11:57 pm
toasty wrote: July 1st, 2022, 1:16 am The mobil choke for a 410 is 1/2x28 thread. Any gunsmith or decent machinist with a lathe could in theory cut the choke. I have a couple 410s with mobil chokes and the chokes are not all interchangeable. I run them through a 1/2-28 die and they are good to go. I have not threaded a barrel myself, but did run a tap through a turkish barrel to clean it up. Going to try it on a cut barrel yildiz tk36 when I get some time. Not responsible if you read this, try it, and ruin your barrel.
I'm trying to get my hands on a Yildiz thread or stevens 301 tap and reamer for 410. Impossible I think
I have the invector bps browning set. Getting a older 870 410 barrel redone right now that had been done with the Sumtoy thread. I should have it back next week
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Tylerray378

Post by Tylerray378 »

Just got my 410 rossi barrel back from them. It’s threaded for “browning invector”. Just got an actual browning choke in the mail today and it threads in perfect.
Riverrat

Post by Riverrat »

Hoobilly wrote: June 11th, 2022, 11:23 am
Samm4770 wrote: June 10th, 2022, 8:05 pmIndian creek
They don’t thread barrels

Wish they did
I would bet they will do there own. Them guys are very precise with machining.
Wasn't born, I was hatched!!!!!!!!!!!! and raised in Tennessee.
KyKRAZEE

Post by KyKRAZEE »

Rose Action...Steve Rose maybe???
BIG BLUE NATION FOREVER
KyKRAZEE

Post by KyKRAZEE »

Not sure, if it's because of tooling or lack thereof, but I don't think Mobil choke threads are done very much, if at all.
BIG BLUE NATION FOREVER
KyKRAZEE

Post by KyKRAZEE »

Rose Action...Steve Rose maybe???
BIG BLUE NATION FOREVER
toasty

Post by toasty »

There is not enough material to thread a mobile choke 1/2"-28 on the Yildiz single shot. I tried to call Mike Orlen, but can't get a hold of him, not sure if he is still doing barrels. I would still like to get my barrel threaded. Is there a consensus on where would one go to get that done?
SteveRoseRAS

Post by SteveRoseRAS »

KyKRAZEE wrote: November 12th, 2022, 4:56 pm Rose Action...Steve Rose maybe???
We can thread barrels for .410 Invector, but not Mobil or others. Each style/type of choke tubes takes its own specific installation tooling. We've never seen the .410 Mobil tooling anywhere.

Has anyone checked with Briley for .410 Mobil installation? They do some things that no one else does.
Steve Rose
Rose Action Sports, LLC
Pembroke, KY
toasty

Post by toasty »

SteveRoseRAS wrote: November 17th, 2022, 8:26 pm
KyKRAZEE wrote: November 12th, 2022, 4:56 pm Rose Action...Steve Rose maybe???
We can thread barrels for .410 Invector, but not Mobil or others. Each style/type of choke tubes takes its own specific installation tooling. We've never seen the .410 Mobil tooling anywhere.

Has anyone checked with Briley for .410 Mobil installation? They do some things that no one else does.
Steve,

Glad to hear you are threading barrels, I am interested in having you cut my choke.. The Yildiz SK36 single has an OD of .520", is that enough for the invector choke? Also, what do you charge to cut a choke? I left a message for you to call me back, but I know there are going to be several guys on here with the same questions.
toasty

Post by toasty »

Just talked to Steve. Cost for threading is good and he will confirm if the invector will work on a yildiz single shot barrel. If he gives the go ahead, I will try it out and report to everyone how it goes.
Last edited by toasty on November 18th, 2022, 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casey Napier

Post by Casey Napier »

Mr. Rose has done 2 guns for me and will be getting more of my business! Great service and very reasonable pricing!

Casey

Return to “Small Bore”