Home-grown

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Home-grown

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Fertilizer :LMAO: A guy i used to know had an Herb Garden .... He was kinda the hippie type....

I was there one day saw one plant asked what they were e said Comfrey, it's the best organic fertilizer.... Told him I have a few if them plants didn't know what they were his eyes lit up.... He then took me to a plastic 55 gallon drum with a lid and removed it, the stench was horrid from the brown slurry.... He asked if I could cut the leaves off mine and bring them.... I did, you'd a swore I brought him gold bars...

So I've had the inkling to tear up 1/3 acre clearing I food plotted ,15 years ago.... After watching my buddies cell cams over his radish plot that set right next to his 5 acrses of corn for the deer and how it was like a light switch when the sugar came to the leaves and the deer preferred the tops over the corn in november and than the radish itself in December I decided I'll plant some radish's mixed with crimson clover

Also I've been researching the comfrey tea, it's amazing.... As good as any fertilizer high in Nitrogen, magnesium and potassium.... Also has calcium and other trace minerals....

So this evening I trimmed the leaves off the 4-5 comfrey plants, placed them in a 25ish gallon tub that farmers get cattle minerals in, covered in water, covered with a can liner and set in a sunny place....

It takes 2 weeks til it's usable and the longer you let it go the stronger it gets.... Than you strain it and spray it as a liquid foiliar.... The stuff gets strong mix ratios are 10-1 to 15-1 based on it's color... I've read endlessly on this stuff and it's legit.... I'll probably spray the small plot once it gets 3-4 inches and than spray once a week thereafter...

So yesterday in 100% humidity I weed whacked the clearing.... Neighbors gonna rototill it next day or so.... Than I'm gonna spray it with Plot Start which 2.5 gallons supposedly equals 1 ton lime and does all different kinds of stufd, spray with some Antler King Plot Max soil conditioner (humic acid" , seed, wait til it starts to grow than use my organic concoction....

I don't need a plot but I had fun watching my buddies plethora of different plots and how they use them August through December.... It flops it flops I'm out $100, I think it'll be fun to see what happens....
KIMG6442.JPG

KIMG6445.JPG
KIMG6446.JPG
KIMG6447.JPG
KIMG6415.JPG
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Home-grown

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Home brew started to vermenting and get stinky.... Speaking of stinky where the hell he been
KIMG6707.JPG
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Stink is probably flushing pickles

Looking forward to how this homebrew fertilizer does!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Hoobilly wrote: August 14th, 2022, 10:48 pm Stink is probably flushing pickles

Looking forward to how this homebrew fertilizer does!
I am too, it's remarkable stuff from.what I've read..,

This is just for fun for me playing around.... I decided do everything different, it flops it flops....

I'm curious too about the plot start and plot max.... I haven't had a plot here in 20 years.... Instead of going conventional ag lime or pelletized I went with the plot start which is supposedly equal to a ton of lime.

The plot max is a soil conditioner and nothing more than Humic acid.... They both claim to raise pH, make micro nutrients in soil readily available.....

Reading up on them both not from the reviews on their site but instead forums such as this the feedback is good... Of course you got the conventional "snake oil" commenters that have never used.... But the folks that have used are impressed, that or scared to admit they got Hoodwinked....

I dunno hot her disced Friday morning, the above sprayed, planted and dragged after,all in time for all night and day slow rain totalling .5

One thing I regret wished I'd a taken a soil sample after discing and than one ten days later to see what the products did...

This is the proving grounds for my Homebrew it's my buddies who's helping me... He does everything by the book... This is his 4-5 week old kale and radish plots.
85054.jpeg
85053.jpeg
When he's not around I'm gonna test my brew in sections on his plot ranging from: straight, 2-1, 5-1, 10-1, 15-1.... Go back few days figure out at what point it's to hot and frying his plants... That way I don't risk my plot.... Gotta hope my brews done before he gets a cell cam on every other tree
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Kale?
For a food plot?

I bush hogged one partial and gonna do another tonight. Spray it then after it turns yeller I’ll disc it up and prepare for seeding. It’s been a lonnnng time since I’ve done a plot

ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Hoobilly wrote: August 15th, 2022, 2:30 pm Kale?
For a food plot?

I bush hogged one partial and gonna do another tonight. Spray it then after it turns yeller I’ll disc it up and prepare for seeding. It’s been a lonnnng time since I’ve done a plot
Winter Kale.... They destroy it it's the brassica of choice for our deer.....

I'm pissed I didn't spray, I thought I only had a day til he disced it, had 5.... It'll be interesting... Oh well it's a good plot...

Keep us posted and check out kale
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: August 15th, 2022, 7:21 pm
Hoobilly wrote: August 15th, 2022, 2:30 pm Kale?
For a food plot?

Winter Kale.... They destroy it it's the brassica of choice for our deer.....

I'm pissed I didn't spray, I thought I only had a day til he disced it, had 5.... It'll be interesting... Oh well it's a good plot...

Keep us posted and check out kale
I’ll check into winter kale. Never even heard of that for food plots before

youngoutdoors

Post by youngoutdoors »

You need to leave part of the plot without the "treatment" you are using so you can tell the difference it is making.

God Bless, Louis

Return to “Gobbler Talk”