TFT

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

TFT

Post by guesswho »

Just saw this on another site and thought I would share here.

Since June 2020, Turkeys For Tomorrow has grown from the humble idea of 14 individuals into a nationally recognized organization participating in and funding turkey research throughout the country. The driving force behind TFT is solely the conservation and preservation of the wild turkey. From the onset of TFT, its founders vowed that the wild turkey was the centerpiece of the organization’s purpose and mission. Answering the hard questions that would identify the root causes of the issues facing the wild turkey was at the top of the list for TFT and would provide the framework for the right research, education and potential regulation changes that would both sustain and increase turkey populations. In addition to the wild turkey being the sole focus of our organization, TFT will maintain transparency and accountability to our supporters and sponsors.

With the help of the Alabama Wildlife Federation and individuals that were known throughout the “turkey community,” TFT set out to identify and contribute to research projects that could help to uncover the causes of wild turkey population’s decline. Within the first seven months of the inception of TFT, three research projects were funded under the leadership of Dr. Will Gulsby of Auburn University.

One of those studies involves capturing and fitting hens with GPS transmitters to determine timing of nesting and incubation, nest survival, poult survival, and habitat selection. This would provide vital information on what factors contribute to successful recruitment of poults into the population.

TFT’s preliminary results of this study are as follows:

- A total of 20 hens were monitored during spring/summer 2022.

- 18/20 hens survived (90%).

- 15 hens (75%) attempted to nest. All hens in the study were adults at time of capture.

- 2 hens (10%) successfully hatched at least one poult. All other nests failed.

- Brood survival was 0% (none of the hatched poults lived).

Although turkey reproduction varies annually, these results clearly indicate there are serious issues with both nest and brood survival. Additional data will be collected in coming years that should provide a more accurate representation of poult production over time, as well as factors that contribute to successful and unsuccessful nests and broods.

A second study was conducted to determine if disease and/or fertility issues in male turkeys are contributing to the decline in populations. To date, 401 carcasses have been collected from turkey hunters for sampling and analysis. All samples were collected in Alabama and represented 48 of the 67 counties (71%) across the state. Preliminary results of this study are as follows:

- A small number of these birds were clearly diseased. Results are pending lab confirmation.
- There are clear differences in testicle size among adult males. The implications of that are still unclear as further microscopic examination is necessary to assess fertility rates.

Testing will be conducted for the following pathogens:

- Lymphoproliferative disease virus (LPDV)
- Reticuloendotheliosis virus (REV)
- Select hemoparasites (Haemoproteus spp., Leucocytozoon spp.)

Prior to the conclusion of these studies in Alabama, TFT has expanded its research funding efforts to additional states. TFT has partnered with DNRs, Professors, and private individuals to fund research projects that will be vital to determining the issues facing the wild turkey population decline. The goal of TFT’s research efforts are multi-faceted: 1) provide research professionals the answers they need to establish change, and 2) provide the private landowner, hunter, and conservationist those answers as well in order for them to better manage their individual properties. By supporting TFT, these goals can be accomplished by the collaborative efforts of researchers and hunters in order to increase populations of wild turkeys throughout the landscape.

As lab analysis begins to come back from the first subset of samples TFT will keep everyone updated to findings, thank you. If you haven't yet please consider joining TFT.

https://turkeysfortomorrow.org/membersh ... ip-levels/
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Tail Feathers

Re: TFT

Post by Tail Feathers »

Very interesting. I hope they figure out a basis for the declines being reported all over. TFT sure seems to have a singular focus on figuring out the decline and restoring turkey numbers. I like that. They've been knocked some for not being very good on keeping their members informed on the happenings but I think they are working hard at their mission.
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

In 1978, while driving to Columbia, TN, for the Mule Day festivities, I encountered one of the first road kill raccoons I'd ever seen, a large boar from which I removed the tail and threw the carcass into a ditch. At that time, I had been an avid outdoorsman for about 15 years, and coons were still a rarity in most of Tennessee. My how times have changed! All the current habitat improvement for the wild turkey will be for nil, if nest success and recruitment is nullified by the abundance of nest predators. As a former biologists I'm in favor of any organization which employs the available scientific resources to research and study wild turkeys. We've got a real problem with the decline of wild turkey populations and really need pertinent data to solve the problem, and you can't expect the immediacy of data when serious studies and scientific investigations are involved.
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

decoykrvr wrote: July 28th, 2022, 3:59 pm In 1978, while driving to Columbia, TN, for the Mule Day festivities, I encountered one of the first road kill raccoons I'd ever seen, a large boar from which I removed the tail and threw the carcass into a ditch. At that time, I had been an avid outdoorsman for about 15 years, and coons were still a rarity in most of Tennessee. My how times have changed! All the current habitat improvement for the wild turkey will be for nil, if nest success and recruitment is nullified by the abundance of nest predators. As a former biologists I'm in favor of any organization which employs the available scientific resources to research and study wild turkeys. We've got a real problem with the decline of wild turkey populations and really need pertinent data to solve the problem, and you can't expect the immediacy of data when serious studies and scientific investigations are involved.
I drove 36 miles to work and counted the coons dead on the road 24 of them. The organizations should start funding a bounty on them!
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

It's hard for me.to.support any organization besides the NWTF... When the wild turkey was getting reintroduced around Michigan they provided the boxes with there logo proudly displayed on them.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

swampchicken wrote: July 28th, 2022, 7:05 pm
decoykrvr wrote: July 28th, 2022, 3:59 pm In 1978, while driving to Columbia, TN, for the Mule Day festivities, I encountered one of the first road kill raccoons I'd ever seen, a large boar from which I removed the tail and threw the carcass into a ditch. At that time, I had been an avid outdoorsman for about 15 years, and coons were still a rarity in most of Tennessee. My how times have changed! All the current habitat improvement for the wild turkey will be for nil, if nest success and recruitment is nullified by the abundance of nest predators. As a former biologists I'm in favor of any organization which employs the available scientific resources to research and study wild turkeys. We've got a real problem with the decline of wild turkey populations and really need pertinent data to solve the problem, and you can't expect the immediacy of data when serious studies and scientific investigations are involved.
I drove 36 miles to work and counted the coons dead on the road 24 of them. The organizations should start funding a bounty on them!
This would be more beneficial than banquets and membership drives!!!!
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: July 28th, 2022, 7:09 pm It's hard for me.to.support any organization besides the NWTF... When the wild turkey was getting reintroduced around Michigan they provided the boxes with there logo proudly displayed on them.
:lol: Those pictures have made them a lot of money
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

I have a buddy that fund raised and with that and assistance from the Ontario Natural resources ministry was able to get 25 turkeys released in an area that I hunted. He showed me a film of the actual release. I asked him if he was a member of the NWTF. He said who are they. I said that is their logo on the boxes you used . He said oh I wondered what that meant. :lol:
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

timbrhuntr wrote: July 28th, 2022, 9:03 pm I have a buddy that fund raised and with that and assistance from the Ontario Natural resources ministry was able to get 25 turkeys released in an area that I hunted. He showed me a film of the actual release. I asked him if he was a member of the NWTF. He said who are they. I said that is their logo on the boxes you used . He said oh I wondered what that meant. :lol:
guesswho wrote: July 28th, 2022, 7:55 pm
ICDEDTURKES wrote: July 28th, 2022, 7:09 pm It's hard for me.to.support any organization besides the NWTF... When the wild turkey was getting reintroduced around Michigan they provided the boxes with there logo proudly displayed on them.
We have a small organization in Michigan MWTHA.... All their funds go.to.winter feeding program in snow belt areas.... If you could prove you had.birds you could pick up an allocated amount for winter feeding until they ran out.... Even with the feeding ban they have plans for deer proof feeding...

One of the founders he's from.a.neighboring town wrote a long time ago their history and.essentially trashes the NWTF...

It's a good organization... But one of the other higher ups is kind of a fruitcake and I've never belonged... See gets on our MI board once in a while and seems to argue alot over pointless stuff...
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

:thumbup:
Al Stewart asked me to be at the Marion Springs Conservation Club, in the Gratiot-Saginaw State Game Mgt. Area, wwaaayy back when, with the re-introduction of turkeys there!! ;)

Little did I know, all my farmers I know/knew back then, west of there, would beg me to shoot every one of em', in years down the road :banghead:
N' ya' don't need to hear the stories, I hear from em' either :stir:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Chief Razor

Post by Chief Razor »

Thats some disheartening info, yet not surprising.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Aren’t thisse boxes donated?
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

RONNIE!! All y'all need a bigger stick!!!!

ROTFL.gif
ROTFL.gif (47.53 KiB) Viewed 9881 times
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: July 28th, 2022, 9:33 pm
timbrhuntr wrote: July 28th, 2022, 9:03 pm I have a buddy that fund raised and with that and assistance from the Ontario Natural resources ministry was able to get 25 turkeys released in an area that I hunted. He showed me a film of the actual release. I asked him if he was a member of the NWTF. He said who are they. I said that is their logo on the boxes you used . He said oh I wondered what that meant. :lol:
We have a small organization in Michigan MWTHA.... All their funds go.to.winter feeding program in snow belt areas.... If you could prove you had.birds you could pick up an allocated amount for winter feeding until they ran out.... Even with the feeding ban they have plans for deer proof feeding...

One of the founders he's from.a.neighboring town wrote a long time ago their history and.essentially trashes the NWTF...

It's a good organization... But one of the other higher ups is kind of a fruitcake and I've never belonged... See gets on our MI board once in a while and seems to argue alot over pointless stuff...
I was a member for many years when I hunted Michigan. Jim M was in charge and I think the lady was Laurie maybe . I remember she was totally against hunting turkeys with a bow and yes always seemed to have something negative to say .
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

timbrhuntr wrote: July 29th, 2022, 12:31 pm
ICDEDTURKES wrote: July 28th, 2022, 9:33 pm

I was a member for many years when I hunted Michigan. Jim M was in charge and I think the lady was Laurie maybe . I remember she was totally against hunting turkeys with a bow and yes always seemed to have something negative to say .
Yup Maturens from your old stomping grounds had his wife as a teacher... I had to call him once... He had this field for goose hunting in town his BILs... I had every field around.... Every year theyd use that field, couldn't eat on because he "hunted it" never hardly did.... Finally as every local goose 2k+ sat there all season said " your killing me smallz, can u move them birds" he did next day...

Her first name is slipping me oh its linda.... Turkeys with a bow,no such thing as a smokey grey, no birds would be alive north of 10 if they weren't fed blah blah blah

Great organization but she gave them a black eye for me
Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Samm4770 »

Very interesting read

Return to “Gobbler Talk”