Cash the GWP

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Cash the GWP

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Saddle Hills Cash - Sept 10, 2008 to June 21, 2022

I got Cash when he was around 6.5 years old and he was already a well trained GWP that had already pointed and retrieved a pile of roosters. He attached to me immediately and developed a little separation anxiety when I was gone for too many days. He never skipped a beat when it came to pointing roosters and retrieving birds. His decline was gradual enough that I didn't realize how slow he'd gotten until a few years ago when I tried to hunt him 3 days in a row and decided that was a bad idea. He got out a time or two after that on very short local hunts but was mostly a house dog. He could be a real pain in the ass waking me up at 5 AM regularly pacing back and forth in the bedroom so I'd take him out, but I'd soften to the old guys giant eyebrows and pitiful looking eyes.

I knew his time was getting short because he was nearly 14 but it still seemed to come sooner than I thought when he more or less stopped eating last Thursday and couldn't stand up on his own. If he made it onto his feet, it was tough to watch him stagger around and he fell a few times trying to walk on his own. We've carried him out a few times a day since then. It was clear the decision that needed made, so I made the appointment. I've lost a good number of dogs since I was a kid but never taken one in for this. Damn, taking one in to die sucks. They depend on you and trust you so much that it feels like a betrayal.

We were lucky to have him even through the stupid stuff that he did. He was a faithful dog until the end and I'll likely never have another with his ability as a bird dog.

He was a good one.
20161230_100429.jpg
20171116_123640.jpg
20171116_111632.jpg
IMG_20191230_092905632.jpg
IMG_20220620_171205828.jpg
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Cash the GWP

Post by spider316 »

My condolences to you and your family. Faithful dogs are sometimes closer than family
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Sorry for your loss.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

We make a binding commitment to our dogs whether they be house or field or a combination of the two. In exchange for their undying loyalty and love, we agree to do what is in their best interest, not ours, when the time comes. Just as Cash lived up to his end of the deal, so did you. I am sorry for your loss. Gil
Gobblez

Post by Gobblez »

GLS wrote: June 22nd, 2022, 6:16 am We make a binding commitment to our dogs whether they be house or field or a combination of the two. In exchange for their undying loyalty and love, we agree to do what is in their best interest, not ours, when the time comes. Just as Cash lived up to his end of the deal, so did you. I am sorry for your loss. Gil
Well said, I hope someone will do the same for me when the time comes.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Shane, that's sad news for sure, but may his memories and pictures keep him in your mind forever :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I hate to read this. He had a good life full of doing fun dog stuff. And your right, they do depend on us to make decisions for them, even the hard ones. If there is a dog heaven, Cash is surrounded by some characters and having a good time. RIP Cash!
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

So sorry to hear this, Shane.
As with my beloved Hershey, the memories will last forever.
Godspeed, my Brother...
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
tracker8320

Post by tracker8320 »

You gave him a good life...sorry for your loss. I have a few dogs buried in my backyard, I used them for tracking wounded big game for the past 33 years. There's nothing like having a good working partner and the "bond" between a dog and handler. They become family and part of you. When I started working with dogs I had an old-timer tell me... "that the only mistake God ever made, was not to let our dogs live as long as we do"...no truer words were spoken.
Wounded big game tracker with dogs...
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

Sorry to hear it. They give you the best days of their lives and one of the worst days of your life when they go.
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Sorry to hear Shane

Dogs are critters but they tend to become like a kid to us. It does suck and I’ve been there and felt the same. But I knew it was the right thing
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
FLGobstopper

Post by FLGobstopper »

Awe man that's tough! Sorry to hear about your loss.

We lost most well mannered dog I've ever had almost a year ago. She was an 8.5yr old pointing lab and we had just got a GSP pup not to long before she passed. They were great together for the short time we had them both. She was so good have a hard time thinking about another lab. Love our GSP but... well they are really great dogs and really big pains in the ass sometimes too. Fortunately for her she makes up for a lot of off the field issues when she's in the field. I might be crazy but I've been thinking of adding a GWP to the mix.
Last edited by FLGobstopper on June 22nd, 2022, 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

spider316 wrote: June 22nd, 2022, 5:14 am Faithful dogs are sometimes closer than family
Truth.

Sorry to hear of your loss. We know how hard that is.
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

Shane,
If you haven't read it, look up Ben Hur Lamson's, "Where to bury a dog". Like a lot of life's experiences, "Don't cry when it's over. Smile that it happened!" My life is measured by the good dogs which I have had, as I'm sure, so is yours. My thoughts are with you and the family.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Thanks guys. I'm lucky that I've still got the two WPGs that should have a lot of life left.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

That helps to ease the pain.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

Shane, I feel for you and family. We went through the same thing about 5 years ago. We had a rescue dog that was sharp, great with kids, watch dog, and as loving a dog could be. After 13 or so years and declining I took her in. Not a dry eye in the room when she licked my hand when the vet did the deed.

Her ashes are buried in our pet cemetery with her marker. Only had one other growing up as close as her!

It’s a true family lose.
Don
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

Sorry buddy
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I hate these posts I saw it last night, hard to respond.... Alot of folks don't get it, I have something saved can't find it about how loosing a four legged friend can be hard as a human, it's different but equally hard....

I was gonna tell you to hop back in the saddle and don't wait because you only punish yourself....

Hang in there bud, it's hard, really hard as the saying goes dogs give us some of the best days of or lives and one of the worse ..
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: June 22nd, 2022, 11:27 pm I hate these posts I saw it last night, hard to respond.... Alot of folks don't get it, I have something saved can't find it about how loosing a four legged friend can be hard as a human, it's different but equally hard....

I was gonna tell you to hop back in the saddle and don't wait because you only punish yourself....

Hang in there bud, it's hard, really hard as the saying goes dogs give us some of the best days of or lives and one of the worse ..
I'm lucky, I suppose, that I've got two more bird dogs that are 7 and 5 (I think). I've had them both since puppies. I think they both know that something is different at home.

I woke up early this morning thinking that I heard Cash pacing with his nails clicking on the floor and thought "I better let him out" before catching myself and realizing it was one of the other dogs.

"Best days of our lives and one of the worst" is a true statement.
Chief Razor

Post by Chief Razor »

Such a difficult thing. I think about each and every one I lost every time I hunt. My condolences for your loss and hope that time will ease your pain.
BobT

Post by BobT »

My sincere condolences, it is always hard to loose a faithful companion.
Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Samm4770 »

Always hard to lose a great member of the family! So sorry

Return to “Gobbler Talk”