Avian Decoys Input

A place to discuss Hunting equipment and other related products.
doc1059

Avian Decoys Input

Post by doc1059 »

I am big DSD fan and have several in my arsenal (Jake, Hen, Full strut Jake) and the Apex Higdon strutter decoy and now my two sons are old enough to hunt on their own and sometimes I don't have enough decoys to go around. Looking to buy a middle of the road hen/Jake combo. Wanted to get anyone's opinion on an Avian Jake and Hen combo. I know post season a lot of decoys start going on sale and interested in Avian, little less in price compared to DSD's.
WAGinVA

Re: Avian Decoys Input

Post by WAGinVA »

Just get the DSDs, pay once cry once.
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

Make em do Rock, Paper, Scissors for all your current decoys. Then you can resupply yourself with the latest and greatest of your choice !
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
Chief Razor

Post by Chief Razor »

I have an AvianX jake decoy. Most of the reviews said they start leaking in the stake hole. Mine did just that. Rarely use decoys anymore but I wont buy another AvianX.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I also had a AvianX decoy. It started leaking shortly after I got it. It's been several years ago, but I put probably a tube of ShoeGoo or something on it. I ended up tossing it. I do have a jake strutter and it seems ok, but my hen is a DSD. It seems like the AvianX strutter holds it shape well and doesn't really require much air.

Kevin
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
hootgobbleyelpgobble

Post by hootgobbleyelpgobble »

Chief Razor wrote: May 2nd, 2022, 8:29 pm I have an AvianX jake decoy. Most of the reviews said they start leaking in the stake hole. Mine did just that. Rarely use decoys anymore but I wont buy another AvianX.

x2. I bought a few when they first came out, every single one leaked rather quickly...maybe within a season or 2. I rarely even use decoys now.
squirrel_hunter

Post by squirrel_hunter »

On the Avian x decoys.
LCD feeder Hen
HDR feeding hen
LCD quarter strut jake.
Out of the 3 here. Do all of them hold air? Does the quarter jake decoy have 2 interchangeable heads?
I haven't done my homework on the decoys. I seen the one post it said air is leaking out. If they hold air i will pay extra $$$. And get the DSD decoys.
MountNMan

Post by MountNMan »

I have an Avian Alert hen, which is hard plastic, and a strutting Jake which requires air. The Jake started leaking air the first season. I rarely use decoys now, only if I'm field hunting. I wouldn't buy another decoy of any kind that requires air, just my opinion.
Eagle-Dawgs

Post by Eagle-Dawgs »

I have the jake decoy also and it leaks, I would not wast my $$$ on them. Just a piece of junk !!!!!
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

Primos Photoform hen and jake. They fold up and carry well.
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
duckslut

Post by duckslut »

Check out sx decoys
Strutbuster935

Post by Strutbuster935 »

I've been using avian x decoys for quite a few years.... I have 2 hens and a Jake. One of the hens developed a leak around the stake hole like 5 years a go, 10 minute fix and it hasn't leaked since. I've put them through hell and back guiding for the last 6 years.... they have helped kill a LOT of turkeys over the years. DSD decoys look great no doubt.... but they are over 2× the price of avian x, I'm here to tell ya that avians are by far the best bang for your buck as far as turkey decoys go. I have the original avian upright hen for over 10yrs, she's seen countless gobblers march to their death, i wouldnt trade her for a flock of dsd's.
Strutbuster935

Post by Strutbuster935 »

I'm betting my avian x decoys have seen more turkeys die than half the guys sticking there noses in the air to the avian x's. Nothing against dsd, they are great dekes, but worth what they cost? Idk. Those SX decoys look awesome too but $$$. So many good options for dekes now than compared to 12-15yrs ago, even the cheap flextone dekes they sell @ walmart are leaps and bounds better than the old foam ones we used yrs ago.
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

Rarely use decoys, almost never. I do have 3 avian x though, the lcd models. None of them leak
West Augusta

Post by West Augusta »

My Avian dekes also leak. Very poor customer service when I talked to them about said leaks. I seldom use decoys anymore and will not buy Avian X if I do decide to use them in the future.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

TN Tom

Post by TN Tom »

My wife started turkey hunting this year and she bought her self the Higdon gobbler and hen decoys, she had a phenomenal season with the decoys and they require no air, the are lightweight and easy setup, I seldom use decoys but she was really happy with the two she killed this year.
Hobart

Post by Hobart »

My Avian X's developed a leak, of the 2 hens and a Jake decoy, only one hen holds air. I have some Dave Smiths and the paint is coming off the head. I ordered some touch up paint and we will see how it goes.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

When sal and I guided we had to buy decoys because we never really hunted then but ya take every crut h ya can.... Bought a dsd hen an a flextone hen... Shoulda never bought the dsd not worth the coin... Flextone way better value
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

I bought a DSD leading hen and "Gave" my neighbor buddy, my avian hen, I' bought n' repaired n' pumped it up with my air compressor before I gave it to him :lol:
No gunnin' n' runnin' fer' me anymore and my DSD decoys do very well for me ;)
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Lacire

Post by Lacire »

I rarely use decoys but three years ago my son had his Avian X's LDC developed a leak too….. but it was after I shot it :LMAO: , killed the tom and put one pellet in the decoy. I cut a small piece from a car tire patch kit and stuck it into the hole with a little glue and it’s still holding. One reason I think these fail is because people put to much air into them in the morning when it’s cold and after they’re sitting in the hot sun for a couple hours the air inside them expands even more and it causes a leak, just my two cents.

Return to “Equipment/Product Reviews”