So I’m in Kansas

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

So I’m in Kansas

Post by Hoobilly »

Came west to get a Rio

What was supposed to have been a 1 day rain storm has turned into a 3 day of all day rain.

Unfortunately I drove the awd Subaru

Almost got bad stuck
Had to back out slowly in reverse for a 1/4 mile to get back up on the hill and turn around on solid road.

Sucks bad as I had just got into the good hunting and found a gobbler and a jake running together with several hens. Lots of other great ground. But I don’t think I’m gonna sit and wait for the roads to dry out as it’s rain rain rain until Thursday. Will take a day of waiting after that for the roads to be passable. So I’m contemplating on just pulling out and heading home. Probably head to Michigan and take my daughter there.
Attachments
F2FCA179-5221-4E33-B797-39C2DCA6F8FE.jpeg
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: So I’m in Kansas

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Tough break but those Kansas roads are bad after a rain. We have the same or worse stuff here in Central to Eastern MT.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Hobbes_mobile wrote: May 24th, 2022, 11:34 pm Tough break but those Kansas roads are bad after a rain. We have the same or worse stuff here in Central to Eastern MT.
Definitely bringing a Jeep or Toyota next time 😂

Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Hoobilly wrote: May 24th, 2022, 11:38 pm
Hobbes_mobile wrote: May 24th, 2022, 11:34 pm Tough break but those Kansas roads are bad after a rain. We have the same or worse stuff here in Central to Eastern MT.
Definitely bringing a Jeep or Toyota next time 😂
If it rains much, they'll just get you stuck farther down the road. 😁
Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Samm4770 »

Damn that’s unfortunate! Best of luck
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

Yep doesn't matter what you drive those dirt roads in ks will suck you into a ditch!
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

Yep doesn't matter what you drive those dirt roads in ks will suck you into a ditch!
Gobblez

Post by Gobblez »

I found out quickly to stay off the black roads after a rain. Had to be pulled out of the ditch where it gently slid while barely moving.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

If you have 35 inch go down a trail after a rain, your pulling out on the road with 44's, snowball effect... Can always tell when someone's been in somewhere hit the pavement and it's solid mud for 1/2 mile...

I had hunters out in KS torcon rating of 6 radar showed it moving in picked them up.... Told um had to check a cam on another place, had to drive a trail up high on a pasture... It starts pouring so hard barely see, I got the Hummer matted says doing 80 but we're doing like 5 lightning crashing all around us... They're pleading and yelling turn around, I'm like nah gotta pull this card.... It's bad I'm getting scared.... We get to where we have to drive off the paasture peak into a bottom and I'm like no... Turn around, the sound of sighs was deafening in the vehicle....

The stuff in Wy is the worst betonite I believe.... If you piss on the road and there's any grade you better hope your piss is running away because if it gets around your feet it rts so slick ya probably fall...

One spring sal and I on the trip sal and I encountered rain every where we went the orange crap in Okie, sd prairie was a mud pit and Wyoming....

Got home went to car wash, spraying the Hummer off.... The Hummer threw mud.like no other, clear on top of the vehicle...
The owner saw us started cursing at us and asked us to leave

:scratch: :LMAO:
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

Good Luck Brice ! Make one flop !
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

LOL! That mud is no joke. My truck got stuck on a FLAT road after a rainstorm a few years ago, and I had to just camp out in it until the next day when the road dried.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: May 25th, 2022, 9:54 am If you have 35 inch go down a trail after a rain, your pulling out on the road with 44's, snowball effect... Can always tell when someone's been in somewhere hit the pavement and it's solid mud for 1/2 mile...

I had hunters out in KS torcon rating of 6 radar showed it moving in picked them up.... Told um had to check a cam on another place, had to drive a trail up high on a pasture... It starts pouring so hard barely see, I got the Hummer matted says doing 80 but we're doing like 5 lightning crashing all around us... They're pleading and yelling turn around, I'm like nah gotta pull this card.... It's bad I'm getting scared.... We get to where we have to drive off the paasture peak into a bottom and I'm like no... Turn around, the sound of sighs was deafening in the vehicle....

The stuff in Wy is the worst betonite I believe.... If you piss on the road and there's any grade you better hope your piss is running away because if it gets around your feet it rts so slick ya probably fall...

One spring sal and I on the trip sal and I encountered rain every where we went the orange crap in Okie, sd prairie was a mud pit and Wyoming....

Got home went to car wash, spraying the Hummer off.... The Hummer threw mud.like no other, clear on top of the vehicle...
The owner saw us started cursing at us and asked us to leave

:scratch: :LMAO:
:LMAO:
I have to run this Subaru through the car wash before I get home

Georgia clay is probably as slick as anything else I’ve encountered

Was able to drive down a gravel road and walk 2 miles to a WIHA and hunt 3 hours today. Had 2 jakes and was walking in a circle to cut them off as jakes taste great. Ran into a gobbler. Didn’t get a shot off

So I cried a little
Sucked it up and walked out. I’ll be back next spring.

kythunter

Post by kythunter »

Hey Brice, yeah those Kansas roads can get bad quick.
I hunted north central Kansas last week first time ever. We were on the Kansas/Nebraska border.
Got on 1 Rio long beard and 2 hens on private land no luck. Bird would gobble but wouldn't work and we never got close enough for a shot. We did lay eyes on him.
Hunted public walk in ground the 2nd day, got close to 5 jakes and 5 hens.
There just didn't seem to be many turkey there but still fun to hunt a different state/species.
Don't blame you for not staying.
Lord willing we'll get another chance next year.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Been there and done that, the year our Gould's Mexico hunt got cancelled, way back. then got a quick re-book to n/w Nebraska.
Nothing but water was seen from air headed into Rapid City, and most roads were so rutted up and impossible to go down.
Happy to even git' a tom and glad to leave the water behind that year ;)
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

soiltester wrote: May 27th, 2022, 2:28 pm Been there and done that, the year our Gould's Mexico hunt got cancelled, way back. then got a quick re-book to n/w Nebraska.
Nothing but water was seen from air headed into Rapid City, and most roads were so rutted up and impossible to go down.
Happy to even git' a tom and glad to leave the water behind that year ;)
Not sure who all knows it, but your license is good for one full year from time of purchase in KS and I’ll only have to buy the turkey tags this fall and spring if I go earlier

jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

That sucks, I know the north East zone of Ohio was hot the last 2 days. Heard lots of gobbling. So hopefully Michigan is fired up too. Was trying to get my dad on a bird, but if he doesn't see 1 before 10 minutes after sun rise, he turns into a mushroom hunter and loses all interest in chasing a bird now a days. My tag is already filled, so I don't mind a bit, just good spending time together outdoors. Enjoy your hunt with your daughter!

Return to “Gobbler Talk”