Ticks in the truck

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
2flyfish4

Ticks in the truck

Post by 2flyfish4 »

This morning I'm sitting here at work and feel something crawling on me..... damn ticks

I spray down pretty good in the morning before hitting the field and change out of my hunting clothes before heading home for the day. Further putting my hunting clothes in a trash bag, boots ride in the bed. I know the ticks are getting in the truck when I'm driving between hunting spots through the day.

Any tips on keeping ticks out of your truck?

TIA
Prospector

Re: Ticks in the truck

Post by Prospector »

Permethrin. Changes everything. Treat your clothes, vest and ( in your case) seat covers. Let ‘em air dry. I even spray the inside of my boots. Ticks used to be one or so daily- last few seasons it’s maybe one per season. Let me say this again: Let them air dry after you spray😉
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

Wally World carries the Sawyers Premixed. Usually says enough for 2-3 outfits…nope, ONE outfit,lol! $12 or so. Also Feed n Seeds usually carry the full strength if you wanna mix yourself in bulk and save a few bucks….
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

Almost never a tick since using permethrin!
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

I've been known to spray down my truck's upholstery with permethrin.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Don’t get deet or permethrin on your dash. It will peel and bubble the paint off it right now
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

When I was managing hunting properties I started showering with and washing all my clothes with top secret bio shield, doing food plot work and stands in summer and early fall requires a lot of showers!

Using that laundry soap and body wash daily along with clothes treated with permethrin I never had ticks!

Stuff smells good too. They also make a spray, I bought a kit with all 3.
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

I'm gonna ask, I've always layered my clothes so the ticks couldn't get in. I.E. socks over pants, pants over shirts, shirts over face masks like flash hoods at work. Is permethrin really that good if you let it dry ? Thanks for your help, Wayne. I always try to shower everyday due to work and OCD, I've found plenty of ticks barely attached when I don't layer up and are easily removed with alcohol and tweezers
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

I do not pay much attention to layering like that, I did years ago and even had bug gators.
Vintage

Post by Vintage »

Permethrin really works. Just try it and you won't go out with out it.
It is what it is.
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

Thanks, any particular brand ?
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

I use Sawyer, some buy the stuff in a concentrate to mix their own. Doubt it matters the brand as long as the active ingredient is Permethrin.
firedup

Post by firedup »

Permethrin is the REAL DEAL! I have an allergic reaction to whatever it is ticks inject into you when they bite to keep the blood flowing. Tick bites for me are NASTY and can take months to heal and can get infected and all kinds of bad stuff. Permethrin is really that good and was a complete game changer. It really improved the whole outdoor experience for me. I spray dang near everything clothing wise. You can buy the high strength product at most hardware stores that sell pesticides. Mix with water. Find directions for mixing on the web based on percentage concentration your buy. Spray product sold at Walmart is also VERY effective. A little more cost but ready to go and easy to use. Pick a good hot day and spray outside if you can. You DO NOT want to breathe it. It will dry very fast and should last thru several wet cycles. Like walking thru wet weeds, ect.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

images (1).jpeg
images (1).jpeg (8.73 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
+
51XOZ+xBykL._AC_SY780_.jpg
Okiehunter

Post by Okiehunter »

I had to deal with ticks bad the last weekend of Oklahoma’s season. Sawyers permethrin and 100% deet will be my plan next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

this reminds me
I have to spray clothes down before I leave in the morning to Kansas
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
bwhana

Post by bwhana »

Another tick trick is to use a portable ozone generator in your truck after hunting (i have not done this since I started using permethrin years ago, only because i have not seen a tick since spraying with it). Makes the truck smell like new and kills ticks at the same time!

Lots of cheap ones out there, just one example here...

Return to “Gobbler Talk”