Permethrin Time

A place to discuss Hunting equipment and other related products.
decoykrvr

Permethrin Time

Post by decoykrvr »

I just made up a fresh batch of my favorite Permethrin clothing spray and treated 3 pairs of pants and 5 shirts for the Alabama opener this weekend. My favorite recipe is 10% Martin's Permethrin in a ratio of 15 oz. water to 1 oz Martin's for a .0625% spray. With this combo, I've literally watched ticks crawl up on my pants, stretch out then fall down dead. In really bad tick areas, I'll sometimes mist my boot/pant area and waist band before entering the woods, and have never pulled off an embedded tick when I follow this regimen. I double the ratio of Martin's to water for a dog/kennel treatment. Make sure the clothing is dry before wearing it and thoroughly wash your hands after spraying.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Permethrin Time

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

That's what I use.... Guys in KS be like nah don't need you treat my clothes... Go out first day they take a shower pick a dozen out of em yeah uh you can treat my stuff... Big $ saver...

On out Mi board last year I recommend it... Buncha guys arguing that isn't for clothes blah blah blah....
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

I've had to go on antibiotics twice for these little bastards. I no longer go into the woods without permethrin.
El Sicario
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

appalachianassassin wrote: March 23rd, 2022, 12:24 pm I've had to go on antibiotics twice for these little bastards. I no longer go into the woods without permethrin.
Once last year, picked it up in the yard... Next day, oh cool bullseye rash
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

That will do it
El Sicario
RBMTDJager

Post by RBMTDJager »

appalachianassassin wrote: March 23rd, 2022, 12:24 pm I've had to go on antibiotics twice for these little bastards. I no longer go into the woods without permethrin.
You are 100% correct.
Two turkey seasons ago was in my local G&F office waiting for the stand by draw with 8 other guys counting the two D&R guys there were 11 of us. The subject of Lyme's disease came up and turned out five of the 11 guys had contracted and be to be treated for Lyme's disease. All got it from tics all got the tics while turkey hunting.

After April neither I or my kids EVER enter the woods turkey hunting or scouting without treating our clothes with Permethrin.
Two years ago in last week of April I was scouting at a public land sight in eastern central IN and took a walk threw some heavy brush to try to get eyes on a Tom I heard gobbling but couldn't. Upon exiting the brush an onto the road noticed a tic crawling on my arm started checking and I found I had over a dozen tics on my legs, chest and arms. Without a moments hesitation right at the back of my truck stripped down to my t-shirt and boxers and shook the crap out of my clothes and checked myself as well as I could. Ended up finding 23 tics on my clothes and body. at least 2x more tics in one instance than I have had on me in all of my 35 years of turkey hunting.
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

Second all the above. Additional warning, spray ALL your stuff! In TX last week, I felt that little basturd bite so I got to him immediately. I laid it on my pants leg and watched it die with no small amount of satisfaction. I had on a t shirt that I had forgotten to spray. Only one that didn’t get and it could’ve cost me. Be careful friends.
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

I forgot to treat my clothes before a KS and OK trip some years back. Came with about two dozen tick bites. I feel lucky not to caught something bad out of all that.
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

I got a dumb question. If you have to let permethrin dry completely on your clothes before you wear them because it’s supposed to be harmful if the clothes are still wet. What happens when you wear the treated clothes in hot weather, and they get soaked with sweat? Asking for a friend. 😁
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

Make sure the clothes are dry after treating and you're good to go. Your friend definitely has too much time on his hands and worries too much. Nobody is getting out of here alive, and having seen the results, I don't want to go out after living w/ Lyme's Disease!
Goblen

Post by Goblen »

I started using Sawyers last year and since then I haven't gotten a tick or chigger bite. Before that I got both every hunt.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

278647595_3217681351826245_8609831982205352374_n.jpg

Return to “Equipment/Product Reviews”