Leaving Turkey Vest in Vehicle

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
sbe2shooter

Leaving Turkey Vest in Vehicle

Post by sbe2shooter »

Weird topic I know. Anyone leave their turkey vest in a vehicle over night or multiple days when not hunting? Any long term damage done to calls? Just wondering. I work nights get off at 7am and hit the woods..get home and leave vest in vehicle. Haven’t noticed any problems yet.
decoykrvr

Re: Leaving Turkey Vest in Vehicle

Post by decoykrvr »

Don't do it!! Is your vest and the contents worth anything? The fluctuations in temperature and humidity are rough on all woods and the death of diaphragms and any latex. The vest needs to dry/air out after use.
Chrmayo

Post by Chrmayo »

May be hard on them but mine usually stays in truck from opening to closer
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

I do it over a couple days.... but I always leave the windows cracked down appx an inch for venting. Every night the diaphragms come in and get rinsed and into the freezer. I try to rinse them in a diluted mouth wash that kills bacteria once a week. Strikers, pots and box calls all ring sweet when dry, just my opinion.
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
sbe2shooter

Post by sbe2shooter »

Yeah i definitely bring mouth calls in. Just wondering how everyone handled their stuff working crazy hours or whatever
ol bob

Post by ol bob »

Not wore one in over 6 years, so no problem
A wise old owl sat in a mighty oak , The more he saw the less he spoke, The less he spoke the more he heard, Why can't everyone be like this wise Ol bird
Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Samm4770 »

I leave my vest in the truck from beginning of season to ends I’m lucky enough to make my own mouth calls so I just make new ones all season. I would rather not need my turkey vest and have it then need it and not have it lol
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I leave my vest in my truck most all the time. I'd probably forget it if I didn't????
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I typically take it in for the reasons that Decoykrvr mentions. I'm probably trying to protect mouth calls more than anything. The sun is hell on latex calls.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

So that might explain that 2 year old condom I had in my truck and how my son came about?????
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

CamoMan4025 wrote: March 29th, 2022, 6:19 pm So that might explain that 2 year old condom I had in my truck and how my son came about?????
:lol:
sbe2shooter

Post by sbe2shooter »

😂
Chief Razor

Post by Chief Razor »

So you work nights and leave your vest in the truck..at night.. Im sure its not ideal to have your gear exposed to extreme heat in a car during the day but cant imagine evening spring temps are an issue. If im out of town hunting my vest is in the truck if im not wearing it. Not had an issue yet.
sbe2shooter

Post by sbe2shooter »

Chief Razor wrote: March 29th, 2022, 9:42 pm So you work nights and leave your vest in the truck..at night.. Im sure its not ideal to have your gear exposed to extreme heat in a car during the day but cant imagine evening spring temps are an issue. If im out of town hunting my vest is in the truck if im not wearing it. Not had an issue yet.
Yes, no choice, easier for me to change into camo at work an go straight to the woods in the morning instead of going home. Haven’t had any issues, just wondering if others do the same working shift work or whatever. Gotta do what we gotta do
Chief Razor

Post by Chief Razor »

sbe2shooter wrote: March 29th, 2022, 10:19 pm
Chief Razor wrote: March 29th, 2022, 9:42 pm So you work nights and leave your vest in the truck..at night.. Im sure its not ideal to have your gear exposed to extreme heat in a car during the day but cant imagine evening spring temps are an issue. If im out of town hunting my vest is in the truck if im not wearing it. Not had an issue yet.
Yes, no choice, easier for me to change into camo at work an go straight to the woods in the morning instead of going home. Haven’t had any issues, just wondering if others do the same working shift work or whatever. Gotta do what we gotta do
I agree. If it gives you more opportunity then its the right thing to do. I suppose if you have some expensive wood calls or there is potential to damage items in the vest, can you take those items inside in a small bag? Or even put them in a small cooler in the car to keep the temps more regulated? I dont know that I would worry about mine to that degree.
ol bob

Post by ol bob »

The 2 worst things there is for a custom call is heat and humidity, you get both in a locked up car, and with the prices some are paying for custom calls now that's the last place I would want them.
A wise old owl sat in a mighty oak , The more he saw the less he spoke, The less he spoke the more he heard, Why can't everyone be like this wise Ol bird
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

When I'm hunting at home, everything, except mouth calls, stays in the truck in my insulated garage so the temp fluctuation is very minimal.

If I'm in NY or someplace else, everything goes into camp.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

2nd100

Post by 2nd100 »

Well in my infinite wisdom I got locked out about the first day this posted... I'm back in now so my thoughts are .... I hunt alot of high end custom calls . I leave them on my truck because I hunt my was home alot of mornings . I have an old blanket that I cover my turkey vest under folded 4 x thick this has worked for alot of years . Several black chevy trucks, only had a few pot calls separate, could have been gotten wet , condensation or over heated . They got fixed ... now for the other thing nowadays you can pick up a soft sided cooler at about any gas station, just put your precious calls in it and cover with the blanket if it will keep ice for 4 days your calls will be much cooler than the superheated truck cab ... if you like use the blanket to cover them also .
It's worked for me for 35 years and by season end its 100 degrees here in south Ga . In my single cab days the aluminum tool box was cooler than the cab ,wrap then with the blanket inside the cooler and stick em in the tool box ... man that may be the best yet !
10th Legion legionare !
RBMTDJager

Post by RBMTDJager »

Yep I always do. Simply put in what ever snacks Ill eat and new bottles of water night before. Otherwise I leave all else in my vest in a appropriate sized storage bin. I do this to insure 100% I never forget any vital piece of equipment. Only exception is in warm weather I remove my small container that houses my moth calls and put them in a cooler till morning.
I usually carry face covering and gloves, two double sided pot calls and strikers, one paddle call, one shock call, four mouth calls knife, four Zeiss classes wipes, two small flashlights, three spare shells, butt wipes, permit and stamp, when the skeeters get bad small spray bottle of deep woods off, spare truck key, decoy & stake, Woodzig, Fiskers pruning shears and phone.
ShortMagFan

Post by ShortMagFan »

My vest stays in my truck from right before youth weekend until the season is over. My truck is rarely parked in the blazing Sun though when I’m not out in the field. Garage at home and parking deck at office. When it is parked outside and it’s hot I will leave windows/sunroof cracked to let the truck breathe
sbe2shooter

Post by sbe2shooter »

Yeah, appreciate the responses. I gave no choice working night shift. Throw gun and vest in there before work, get off at 7 then hit the woods. Beats losing 30 extra minutes driving home to pick things up.

Return to “Hunt Strategies”